2018 Dead Pool

June 25th, 2018 at 7:56:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
It started out a very good show but it turned into something rather phony. I met Rick Harrison at the Global Gaming Expo about four years ago. We chatted about a minute. It was pretty clear he wasn't happy to be there doing a celebrity appearance. My opinion he is a nice guy, maybe a bit gruff and shy, but a true history nerd. The History Channel I think took over the show and Rick wasn't happy with the direction it took, but the changes were beyond his control.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 25th, 2018 at 9:24:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
It is a good show if you can accept how staged it is. I have known two people on it and both were asked to come in because they had unique items.

Correct, there is no reality
in the reality show. Every
item and person is vetted
long before they appear
on the show. Nobody ever
walks in the door with
something as they often
portray. In fact, some of
the sellers are paid actors.

It's still on because it's popular
and has a very tiny overhead
for a reality show. Even the
store they film in is fake. It's
a set built to look like the
real store.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2018 at 3:27:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
long before they appear
on the show. Nobody ever
walks in the door with
something as they often

real store.

They are entertainment just like anything else. The word "unscripted" seems to be replacing "reality." The public has caught on there, but it is no big deal. Did anyone really think that people were bringing all that stuff to a pawn shop in one of the worst parts of town?

"Hardcore Pawn" is just as staged, but it probably shows more what a pawn shop is really all about.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2018 at 7:09:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
long before they appear
on the show. Nobody ever
walks in the door with
something as they often

real store.

You are right on the low overhead since the Harrisons don't get paid. Not sure that they would pay actors if the stars aren't paid. I grew up with the principals in Timber Kings and talked to them about what they got paid. All they got for doing the show was exposure. They phoned Rick Harrison to ask him because they thought they might be being scammed and Rick confirmed that he received nothing for doing the show. That is why they have to sell T-Shirts and hats and do public appearances to make any money.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 26th, 2018 at 7:36:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Their "pay" is the long lines in the hot sun outside their door of which perhaps ten percent ever actually buy anything.

Discovery channel's Naked and Afraid has marriages, friendships, murder threats etc. and often parasites and lengthy recuperative attempts, but at least they do get paid if they complete the mission.

the producer of Alaskan fishing show got murdered.

The original real housewives of orange county featured telemarketers, and some other shady characters.
June 26th, 2018 at 7:55:15 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Their "pay" is the long lines in the hot sun outside their door of which perhaps ten percent ever actually buy anything.

Discovery channel's Naked and Afraid has marriages, friendships, murder threats etc. and often parasites and lengthy recuperative attempts, but at least they do get paid if they complete the mission.

the producer of Alaskan fishing show got murdered.

The original real housewives of orange county featured telemarketers, and some other shady characters.

Why would stars of established reality shows not be compensated? I have a hard time believing they only do it for exposure, while the producers make millions. In fact I vaguely recall reading an interview where Rick mentioned that Chulee’s popularity gave him leverage to get more money in his per episode contract, so the three Harrisons were renegotiating too.
June 26th, 2018 at 8:15:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
Why would stars of established reality shows not be compensated? I have a hard time believing they only do it for exposure, while the producers make millions. In fact I vaguely recall reading an interview where Rick mentioned that Chulee’s popularity gave him leverage to get more money in his per episode contract, so the three Harrisons were renegotiating too.

I cannot believe SAG would allow no-pay stars.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2018 at 11:43:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
You are right on the low overhead since the Harrisons don't get paid.

Rick Harrison makes $300K
to $400K per season, as does
Chumlee. Look it up, there
are lots of articles on how
much reality stars are paid.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2018 at 12:03:15 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Rick Harrison makes $300K
to $400K per season, as does
Chumlee. Look it up, there
are lots of articles on how
much reality stars are paid.

Don't know why Rick would lie to my friend but there are sites that claim they get paid. Some of those sites also say they "make" which could simply come from all the side stuff they make money on.

Timber Kings was the highest rated of the shows when they were on so if people were getting paid you would think they would be.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 26th, 2018 at 12:14:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
there are sites that claim they get paid. .

They get paid, it's not just a claim.
All reality stars get paid. It takes
a huge amount of time to do
a reality show, it's a lot of work
and the stars get paid just like
everybody else in show biz.

$25K per episode is about at the
top end, but some do make more
than that. It's peanuts compared
to what network stars make, but
they are not professional actors,
after all.