Page 1 of 51234>Last »
December 17th, 2017 at 5:33:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There will be no spoiler warnings.

1) Not a remake of Episode V

2) Essentially Luke tells Rey "Get off my lawn!"

3) Laura Dern did a good job

4) Kelly Marie Tran was amazing. I'll be very upset if she's not in the next movie

5) The theme for the next movie is "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be."

6) I don't see how Kylo Ren can redeem himself. And that's good.

7) BB8 is one bad ass little droid.

8) Yoda actually says something wise for a change, even if he lacks respect for historical artifacts.

9) Tooting my own horn: when Ren orders every weapon to fire on Luke, I said to myself "I bet he's trying to kill a Force illusion." Bingo!

10) Way to play with cliche expectations only to smash them

11) After 40 years, the Empire (or whatever) is still trying to find and destroy the Rebel Base. Sisyphus no doubt appreciates the company in his misery.

12) The next incarnation of the Empire better train their Storm Troopers on marksmanship.

I figure that's enough for now.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 17th, 2017 at 6:26:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I did not read any of the above
Did not click on Nareeds spoiler in the other thread
Barely watched the trailer but saw the poster

From somebody on the outside that has not seen the movie but heard about divided fans
I was imagining that Luke is exploring the dark side?
Will come back to this thread after I see the movie, probably Wed or Thur since my end of year vacation starts then
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 17th, 2017 at 6:48:44 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
No spoiler tags since the word spoiler is in the thread topic.

Saw the movie last night.

I thought there were quite a few repeated elements from earlier movies. I didn't try to remember them, thought, I wanted to enjoy the movie for itself, and overall I did.

While keeping in mind that the movie is aimed at a younger audience, not just old people like me who saw the originals at a young age, I found most of it to be quite predictable. There were at least a few surprises, though, so that's good.

I couldn't help but think of Thurston Howell III when one apparently wealthy character referred to his companion as "lovey"

One thing I noticed near the end of the movie - there were some very old books in an under-seat storage drawer in the Millennium Falcon.

The movie started with some pretty bad tropes, too. A single small ship is able to take out all of the point defense lasers of the mega battle cruiser, and then a single small surviving bomber is able to take the whole thing out by "dropping" it's bombs on an apparently very vulnerable area.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 17th, 2017 at 7:18:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
The movie started with some pretty bad tropes, too. A single small ship is able to take out all of the point defense lasers of the mega battle cruiser, and then a single small surviving bomber is able to take the whole thing out by "dropping" it's bombs on an apparently very vulnerable area.

The Galen Erso School of Sabotage Design is obviously alive and well.

I noticed an Easter egg. When the police arrest Rose and Finn, they cite a violation "27B stroke 6." That was the name of the form in "Brazil" that was required for any kind of legal repair work.
December 17th, 2017 at 9:31:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
4) Kelly Marie Tran was amazing. I'll be very upset if she's not in the next movie

Oh she will be. I also loved the theme John Williams created for Rose. I've been humming it a lot, always the sign of great movie music...

Quote:
8) Yoda actually says something wise for a change, even if he lacks respect for historical artifacts.

"Pageturners, they were not."

Apparently Rey stole the Jedi texts and you can see them in the Falcon at the very end. Which is why Yoda tells Luke something along the lines of "There was nothing in there that Rey doesn't already possess."
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 17th, 2017 at 9:34:22 AM permalink
ams288
At the very first screening with all the hardcore fans, when Kylo kills Snoke then he and Rey fight side by side, the audience went CRAZY and started cheering. It was a great moment!

Then when Laura Dern makes the jump to light speed and you get that prolonged silent cut, same thing happened.
December 17th, 2017 at 10:32:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
"Pageturners, they were not."

How can one tell? no one has really read them as they don't really exist :)

I meant when he tells Luke failure is the greatest teacher.
December 17th, 2017 at 10:43:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
At the very first screening with all the hardcore fans, when Kylo kills Snoke then he and Rey fight side by side, the audience went CRAZY and started cheering. It was a great moment!

I thought Snoke was surprisingly easy to kill (and we still don't know squat about him, other than he's surprisingly easy to kill). I also thought it odd none of his guards tried to surrender.

Mostly, though, I was relieved Ren did not turn good. That would have been cliche.
December 17th, 2017 at 5:51:34 PM permalink
ams288
I saw it again this afternoon. (Viewing number 3 for me)

At the very end on the Falcon, when Finn opens a drawer and gets a blanket for Rose, there is a very clear shot of the Jedi texts. Rey took them from the tree before Yoda blew it up. Not sure how I missed that shot the first two times I saw it.

My biggest complaint about the movie is the Canto Bight sequence: it feels a little too "prequel-y" to me, it kind of drags, the little kids' performances are awful, and in the grand scheme of things, it's kind of a pointless side excursion. John Williams's Canto Bight score is GREAT, however. Love it.

Oh, and it's now canon that Maz Kanata and Justin Theroux's "master code breaker" character have had sex.

Some fans are upset that no one says "I've got a bad feeling about this." But on Twitter, Rian Johnson says BB-8 actually does say it at the very beginning.
December 17th, 2017 at 5:57:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Can't spoil for me, I'll never see it.
Last one I saw had a cartoon dog
named Jar Jar. I started dry heaving
and left the theater. No more SW for
me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »