1 vote (14.28%)
3 votes (42.85%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (42.85%)

7 members have voted

December 16th, 2017 at 9:41:41 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In our local paper this morning, "girl 7 mauled by pit bull". This same dog mauled someone in Feb. and got loose and chased man on bicycle.

Last night on Yahoo, woman in Virginia found after being gone 24 hours. She had walked her two pit bulls, one 100lb and the other 120lbs. They picked up 60 of her parts and the dogs were at the time guarding her corpse.

Year after year and time after time, these pit bulls are the most frequent dogs to attack and maul humans.

From Google search: " Image result for how many pitbull attacks per year
In a recent 12-year period, from 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days.14 By 2020, pit bulls are projected to maul 385 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed, and over 460 Americans since 1980.15 Major news agencies are absent "

These animals are as dangerous as guns, and owners should be licensed specifically acknowledging they now have a lethal weapon that when loose, have a high probably to attack. Owners should go to jail very time one of these pit bull terrier dogs kills someone. Other charges to the owner if people are just attacked. Part of the licensing requirements for owning these canine alligators should be to recite the story of the "Scorpion and the frog".

I cringe every time I hear someone say their dog would never bite someone. To deny the extremely high probability that a pit bull is very dangerous to the public is ludicrous and the owners need to be wised up. The dogs need to be implanted with chips that they may always be identified, so owners can't deny being the owner after people are mauled or killed.

Ninety five percent of the dogs in the animal shelter [pound] in Phoenix, are either pit bull or pit bull cross dogs. People can't handle them. Here in Havasu, our shelter is a non kill shelter, so these crazed animals will also become a permanent tax burden after they have proven no one wants to deal with them. Stupid is as stupid does.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 16th, 2017 at 9:52:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Agree, Agree. And agree. A close friend who already had a chihuahua adopted a pit bull. They had a baby. (Not a bad ending....) The pit bull was very protective of the baby, such that a non family member would be threatened by the pit bull if it got close to the baby. They bought a leather muzzle type device so that the pit bull would growl but couldn't bite. It would only wear it when guests were over. I felt like I was one muzzle failure away from death when I was there. I asked my friend had he considered if the pit bull was kissing the baby and it stepped on a tack might it not be confused and think the baby attacked it? Or something like that.... Days later the pit bull somehow got out and chased and bit the mailman. My friend (wisely) took the pit bull with a $1000 donation to a non kill shelter. I had decided before this to never visit his house again. Now I can still go and will be much more comfortable there. The chihuahua is mean but weighs less than 5 pounds....
December 16th, 2017 at 10:10:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Agree, Agree. And agree. A close friend who already had a chihuahua adopted a pit bull. They had a baby. (Not a bad ending....) The pit bull was very protective of the baby, such that a non family member would be threatened by the pit bull if it got close to the baby. They bought a leather muzzle type device so that the pit bull would growl but couldn't bite. It would only wear it when guests were over. I felt like I was one muzzle failure away from death when I was there. I asked my friend had he considered if the pit bull was kissing the baby and it stepped on a tack might it not be confused and think the baby attacked it? Or something like that.... Days later the pit bull somehow got out and chased and bit the mailman. My friend (wisely) took the pit bull with a $1000 donation to a non kill shelter. I had decided before this to never visit his house again. Now I can still go and will be much more comfortable there. The chihuahua is mean but weighs less than 5 pounds....

We have a problem with these "no kill" shelters. I love dogs, still not following the Steelers anymore due to Vick. That being said, it si still a dog. Some animals are just plain defective and will never, ever be "right." Instead of putting the dog down, they either live in a pen all their life or go to another home with unsuspecting owners to possibly do more damage.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2017 at 10:51:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I saved my Bichon from a pitbull, by picking
him up and turning my back on the attacking
dog. The thing got me instead, biting my
elbow. I was amazed at my instinct to save
my dog at my own expense. No time to think,
you just act. I hate pitbulls.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 16th, 2017 at 10:54:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One of the problems with animals is, some people get them and don't know what it involves. Then they may be abused, neglected or given away.

But temperament can be bred in or out of breeds. That seems to be the problem with this breed and similar types. Tendency to be unstable.

Then there is just inherent characteristics A medium size muscular dog is going to be a bigger danger if it does attack than El Taco Bell dog. A dang trained bear can be gentle ben 99.9 of the time. You still have to worry a lot about the .01. with something that big and powerful.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 16th, 2017 at 11:19:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm sure some of you remember this, and I don't think they do it most places now. Easter time, they used to sell baby chicks in the dime stores. (might be what we call dollar store now.) Sometime just in a large smelly cardboard box of peeping madness. They were cute (for chickens). But their fate was often uncertain. I don't know anyone who bought a black cat for Halloween but they got to actively discouraging that as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 16th, 2017 at 11:36:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Youtube is full of videos of a PIt Bull and new baby meeting for the first time.

Its often how a dog has been treated and its sense of 'territory'.

Several weeks ago I caught a program while playing channel roulette; it was some sort of Poverty from the Viewpoint of Three Brats in the Mid West.
One family was taking their dog back to the shelter because of the money dog food cost them. I think the parents had no sense of values. Guess the kids will grow up that way too.

A local church has a food bank program for the poor... they also have a Pet Food Bank for those who need to feed their dogs and cats.

Leashes are cheap. Many of these pit bull attacks are initiated by the mauling victim not understanding how to behave.

I think pit bulls are just more likely than other large breeds to get bad press, but no more aggressive.
December 16th, 2017 at 12:15:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff

I think pit bulls are just more likely than other large breeds to get bad press,
Why do you think they get bad press? Are people dog racists?
December 16th, 2017 at 2:47:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff
I think pit bulls are just more likely than other large breeds to get bad press, but no more aggressive.
http://www.animals24-7.org/2017/01/03/91-of-dog-attack-disfigurement-victims-in-2016-were-mauled-by-pit-bulls/
December 16th, 2017 at 2:55:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Why do you think they get bad press? Are people dog racists?
Look at it this way: if a young woman has sex with an older, powerful man, the editor can call her a victim because the current obsession is to avoid her being simply a woman who sought a pleasurable experience. Its the same way with Pit Bulls, they've got the 'rep". No need for independent research or confirmation. just "rip and read" Everyone knows men are rapists and Pit Bulls vicious killers. Believe the Victim. Believe the Victim. Don't think for yourselves; don't look for contrary indications: Believe the Victim.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »