Does Religion Make People Moral?

December 6th, 2017 at 11:04:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
So you think pedophile priests have nothing
to do with morality? Really?

I guess you are right, it does show that a belief in God does not make one good.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 6th, 2017 at 11:05:44 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
Okay since you don't get it and we have probably scared off everyone else on this thread why don't you reread my earlier posts and try to understand that defrocking isn't so much a punishment as it is letting these priests leave the priesthood and go off on their own. It seems to me better for society that they live out their days if not in jail then in penance and prayer. I feel like we have ruined another thread, you should go off and live a life of prayer and penance for that.
I can't imagine anything more vile than hiding the identity of pedo's and loosing them in public, to start their own daycare centers.

If you aided and abetted spy's in the same manner, it would be treason.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 6th, 2017 at 11:12:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I guess you are right, it does show that a belief in God does not make one good.

There is no god, so your belief in one
only carries you so far down morality
road. It comes from you, not some
outside force in the universe.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2017 at 11:13:47 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If someone really believed in God, they wouldn't violate children, or would they?

Where does it say that it is ok to violate kids, or hide the perps?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 6th, 2017 at 11:18:01 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I'd like to clarify that the Pope's decision not to laicisize,"defrock", or remove a priest from the clerical state is not a civil matter. Such a priest is not in any way protected from the criminal convictions and punishments of his actions. In some ways taking away the priesthood from someone is akin to setting him loose without any further restrictions or oversight. Some look at it as the Church washing their hands of abusive priests and saying it is not longer our problem. It is complicated though because no one wants these men to remain priests and the faithful don't want to have to continue to provide for them during their private life of prayer and penance. Pope Francis is interpreting mercy to be applied to all people and that is never a popular opinion. You might say he is doing something right if he makes both Evenbob and conservative Catholics unhappy.

I actually understand this. A priest who commits a crime is still a person. Often people question the concept of repentance right up to death, but I believe it is the only way to live your life. If there is never a hope of redemption, then there is no hope in life.
December 6th, 2017 at 11:40:51 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
If someone really believed in God, they wouldn't violate children, or would they?

That would be the hope, but alas both people who believe in God and those who don't do despicable things.

Quote:
Where does it say that it is ok to violate kids, or hide the perps?

The Bible at least explicitly condemns those who would harm the little ones, it would be better for a millstone be tied around their neck and be thrown into the sea.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 6th, 2017 at 11:43:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
There is no god,

Really? So far all the reasons you seem to believe any person exists there are the same reasons to believe God exists.

Quote:
so your belief in one
only carries you so far down morality
road.

Your lack of belief in God makes it impossible for you to ground morality in anything more than yourself or society and we have seen in this century the devastation that causes. It is you and your atheism that severely limit you in any discussion of morality.
December 6th, 2017 at 12:01:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
and we have seen in this century the devastation that causes.

When you play that tired old card,
I'm always compelled to remind
you that Hitler was raised a staunch
Catholic by a rabidly Catholic mom.
The Church was on a jihad against
the Jews when Adolf was a lad, and
that's where he learned to hate them,
at the feet of your beloved pope..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2017 at 12:54:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Did you mean to say that he learned this at the feet of a deranged mother, because that might make sense.
Where did he learn to hate Catholic priests and the Catholic Church and just about anyone else who disagreed with him?
December 6th, 2017 at 12:57:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Did you mean to say that he learned this at the feet of a deranged mother,

Who learned it from a Church that
was on a jihad against Jews in the
Holy Land. Look it up, the Vatican
was hugely anti semitic in 1900,
ever more than they are now.