1 vote (20%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

November 12th, 2017 at 8:37:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: zippyboy
I've seen every episode of TBBT, and never once remember the mention of Sheldon's older brother.

Me neither. However, it may be a way to introduce him as an adult into the TBBT as that show could use some new blood. I think that is not going to be another Chuck (Happy Days reference) but I suspect he will make sense in Sheldon's life later on.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 13th, 2017 at 2:23:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Quote: zippyboy
I've seen every episode of TBBT, and never once remember the mention of Sheldon's older brother. His cute twin sister was on one episode only I think, but no brother ever.

The brother is mentioned casually a number of times. The following may show up in future Young Sheldon episodes.
  1. His mother calls both him and Missy "dumb as soup" in "The Luminous Fish Effect" (S1E04), though this may be an exaggeration.
  2. Sheldon mentions him in "The Jiminy Conjecture" (S3E02), saying "I grew up with an older brother and a very contentious twin sister."
  3. Sheldon's family pedigree, depicted briefly in "The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification" (S4E02), shows a brother as well as a twin sister.
  4. Sheldon mentions in "The Fish Guts Displacement" (S6E10), that his brother would sneak into their father's truck and drink his driving whiskey.
  5. In "The Cooper Extraction" (S7E11) Sheldon mentions "my brother's kidney stone", presumably meaning his.
  6. In "The Fortification Implementation" (S8E20), Sheldon tells Amy that his brother and sister built forts in the living room and wouldn't let Sheldon in, which he hated so much.
  7. In "The Maternal Combustion" (S8E23), Sheldon tells Leonard's mother Beverly that his brother and sister are mouth-breathing idiots.
  8. In "The Matrimonial Momentum" (S9E01), Mary Cooper mentions that Sheldon's brother has a girlfriend and that she would not let him give her grandmother's ring (which she gave to Sheldon for Amy) to that whore. When Sheldon asks if Mary Magdalena a woman of ill repute, Mary tells Sheldon that when his idiot brother redeems mankind, he can date whoever he wants (This suggesting that despite being a loving parent, Mary is on bad terms with George Jr.).
  9. Sheldon briefly talks about his brother while filming his part of Leonard Nimoy's documentary in "The Spock Resonance" (S9E07).
  10. In "The Solder Excursion Diversion" (S9E19), while Sheldon is with Amy at his storage unit, he shows her a golf ball which Sheldon's brother threw at Sheldon's head which left a dent.

Presumably as an adult he will show up to Amy's and Sheldon's wedding.

In "The Cooper Extraction" (S07E11), Missy is about to give birth to a baby in Texas. Since her husband is recovering from a terrible motorcycle accident, Sheldon has to go back to look after her. She does not appear on screen in this episode, only a scream as she gives birth is all that is heard from Missy.
November 13th, 2017 at 5:22:29 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Wizard
The last good television spin-offs that I can recall are Laverne & Shirley and The Jeffersons.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 13th, 2017 at 5:53:48 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
The brother is mentioned casually a number of times. The following may show up in future Young Sheldon episodes.
  1. Sheldon mentions in "The Fish Guts Displacement" (S6E10), that his brother would sneak into their father's truck and drink his driving whiskey.

Wow, Paco, thanks for ten examples. I vaguely remember a few of these, in particular the one above. "drivin' whiskey" lol
I absolutely remember the adorable Missy in that one episode, and Young Missy looks a lot like her.
November 13th, 2017 at 6:29:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288

You got me there!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 13th, 2017 at 7:05:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Quote: ams288

You got me there!

Should we consider what is a "spinoff" and what is just related?

"Frasier" and "Better Call Saul" are a sequel and prequel, respectively. They both were a success. This format seems to have a better chance. "Joey" and "AfterMASH" bombed, though.

Laverne and Shirley were very, very minor characters on "Happy Days." They were likely placed there to qualify the show as a "spinoff" even though it was not so much. Viewers liked it since it was really a new show and new characters.

"Joanie Loves Chachi" was in every way a spinoff, taking 3 major characters and one minor one with it. Viewers hared it as all it did was keep the same old characters from an old show.

"Mork and Mindy" was a backdoor spinoff made from a backdoor pilot. Mildly successful, the pilot shows everything that is wrong with the TV industry.

Maybe the key is minor character that brings next to nothing from the old show?
The President is a fink.
November 13th, 2017 at 7:16:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, for me, if it isn't intentionally a back-door pilot, any show that creates new show from a character created for another show is a spinoff.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PoorlyDisguisedPilot/LiveActionTV

That page has several examples that blur the line between those two - a minor character or guest on a show who proves to be popular and is then given a major plot on that show as a backdoor pilot where the main characters take a back seat.

I have to be careful anytime I visit that site - I keep following link after link, branch after branch, reading and reading...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 13th, 2017 at 8:13:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
Well, for me, if it isn't intentionally a back-door pilot, any show that creates new show from a character created for another show is a spinoff.

It can still get blurry. "Lou Grant" was a success, but in a weird was as it was a drama that came from a sitcom. I never saw an episode, but how much of the character carried over?

You can still have a backdoor pilot and be a spinoff. I think these rarely work because way back, the viewers felt "cheated" and today the audience is sophisticated enough to see what is going on. I remember when "The Fall Guy" had a backdoor pilot to "Trauma Center" which had nothing to do with TFG, but to make matters worse, the storyline finished on "Trauma Center," so you had to watch TC twice! Heather Thomas or no Heather Thomas, that is a rip-off!
The President is a fink.
November 13th, 2017 at 8:27:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
They had Annie Potts playing Sheldon's grandmother. I think without the Jeanine attitude she displayed in Ghostbusters, she comes across as nice regardless of what she may be saying or doing.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 13th, 2017 at 8:28:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In the case of NBC you could say the series were spin-offs.
Law & Order
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Law & Order: Trial by Jury
Law & Order: LA
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Law & Order True Crime

But the new series were probably conceived as a "universe" from the ground up.
Chicago Fire
Chicago Med
Chicago P.D.
Chicago Justice
Page 2 of 5<12345>