Is Christianity too feminized?

Page 7 of 9« First<456789>
August 19th, 2017 at 5:18:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
James 1:26: " Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless."

King James Version (KJV)
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain.

FrGamble, which translation do you use? I don't think Catholics use KJV as it was prepared for Anglicans.
August 19th, 2017 at 5:37:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
For the last time sharing news about what is going on is not what I or many people consider gossip and therefore is not condemned. .

Yet you don't SAY that! You lump it all
under the umbrella of gossip and condemn
all of it. I have never in my life heard a
Christian say most gossip is harmless, it's
only a small part of it that's bad. They
always say to never gossip, ever. And you're
100% wrong, telling someone Jill or Bill
or Tim got fired and now they're in peril
of losing their house IS gossip. It's the very
essence of gossip, the exchange of information.
It's not harmful, it's not backbiting, it's
just plain gossip.

gos·sip ˈɡäsəp/ noun: gossip
1. casual conversation or reports about other people
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2017 at 5:59:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I WISH I COULD SCREAM RIGHT NOW! YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT BECAUSE MOST CHRISTIANS HAVE A DIFFERENT UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT GOSSIP IS!

Are you not doing as I mentioned and translating gossip for slander or backbiting when you deal with me and other Christians. I have already understood many posts ago that when I hear you say gossip what I translate that as is news or information. I know you cannot be this thickheaded. What I understand as gossip and, as you have already stated, what most Christians understand as gossip, is the same thing you consider backbiting.

Instead of you telling me what I say how about it I again attempt to make my position clear. If gossip equals sharing news and information I, nor anyone, I think, has a problem with it. If it is slander or backbiting then we all have a problem with it. I really don't know how I can be more clear.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 19th, 2017 at 5:59:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Pacomartin
King James Version (KJV)
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain.

FrGamble, which translation do you use? I don't think Catholics use KJV as it was prepared for Anglicans.

The translation we most often use in America is the New American Bible (NAB)
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 19th, 2017 at 6:33:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I WISH I COULD SCREAM RIGHT NOW! YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT BECAUSE MOST CHRISTIANS HAVE A DIFFERENT UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT GOSSIP IS!

It's one of those old words that gradually assumed a more malicious definition. It's like the word "covet" which technically has a neutral meaning, but by association with the ten commandments assumed a more malicious definition.

So technically Evenbob is correct as the term "gossip" could mean just idle talk, but most people take it to mean malicious slander.

Quote: Etymonline gossip (n.)
Old English godsibb "sponsor, godparent," from God + sibb "relative" (see sibling).

Extended in Middle English to "a familiar acquaintance, a friend, neighbor" (c. 1300), especially to woman friends invited to attend a birth,

later to "anyone engaging in familiar or idle talk" (1560s).

Sense extended 1811 to "trifling talk, groundless rumor."
August 19th, 2017 at 8:40:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
If gossip equals sharing news and information I, nor anyone, I think, has a problem with it. .

So you don't consider telling a neighbor
the guy across the street is a sex offender
and is on the national offender list to be
gossip? You don't consider telling a co
worker that Bill just got fired for theft
of office supplies to be gossip? You
don't think telling your sister that the
guy your niece is dating has a reputation
for doing and selling drugs at his HS
is gossip? You don't think telling your
best friend that you heard from 3 reliable
people that his wife is being unfaithful
to him is gossip?

Of course you do. Yet none of it is more
then imparting information that you
think the other person might find
useful. Every Christian article I read
on this says the same thing. If you can't
say something positive about a person,
say nothing at all because if you do, it's
the sin of gossip.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2017 at 8:43:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
So technically Evenbob is correct as the term "gossip" could mean just idle talk, but most people take it to mean malicious slander.

And as such, Christians paint all idle talk about
someone as evil gossip, they never ever say
most gossip is harmless, it's only some that
is bad. They always say all gossip is wrong.
August 19th, 2017 at 9:14:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
And as such, Christians paint all idle talk about someone as evil gossip, they never ever say most gossip is harmless, it's only some that is bad. They always say all gossip is wrong.

I suppose it is all in the presentation. Since there is no context in these photos, you could possibly think that they are discussing politics. However, the word "gossip" is probably the first word that comes to mind.

August 20th, 2017 at 12:20:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
So you don't consider telling a neighbor
the guy across the street is a sex offender
and is on the national offender list to be
gossip?

I assume you are using my definition of gossip, which means it is a bad thing. If that is the case then no, telling a neighbor that the guy across the street is on the national sex offender list is not gossip, in a bad sense.

Quote:
You don't consider telling a co
worker that Bill just got fired for theft
of office supplies to be gossip?

Again this would not neccessarily be gossip in the bad sense if you knew those facts to be accurate.

Quote:
You don't think telling your sister that the
guy your niece is dating has a reputation
for doing and selling drugs at his HS
is gossip?

Again, this is not gossip in the bad sense.

Quote:
You don't think telling your
best friend that you heard from 3 reliable
people that his wife is being unfaithful
to him is gossip?

Again this doesn't seem like gossip to me, but more like sharing information no matter how bad it is. In all the cases you mentioned I think you are helping us clarify an important distinction between bad gossip or slander and good gossip or sharing information. Two things are present in every case you mention. 1) the news is reliable and not made up or purposely exaggerated. 2) It is not shared solely to defame the character of another person. This I hope is helpful in our future discussions as to what I consider gossip vs. news and what you consider slander vs. harmless gossip.

Quote:
Of course you do.

As you will see above, of course you are wrong. This happens often for you but if I may say so it especially happens when you presume to know what I am thinking or what my motivations might be. Maybe you should leave it to me to let you know what I believe and what I think, it will save you some embarrassment.
August 20th, 2017 at 8:52:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Again, this is not gossip in the bad sense..

So you personally differ in the definition
of gossip from that of the Christian church?

"What is gossip: Gossip is second hand information that someone imparts to you, without the consent of the person being gossiped about. Gossip can be true, partially true, or completely false. It can be motivated by good intentions. But it always contains negative personal information about another."

This doesn't include any of the caveats you mention,
that gossip is fine and dandy if done for the right
reasons. I've never heard my wife gossip, she never
talks about other people because she was taught
it was wrong by her Baptist minister father. Any
talk for any reason. I've seen her listen out of
politeness, but never comment. If I were to tell
her what you say about it, she would tell me you're
100% mistaken.
Page 7 of 9« First<456789>