The desktop PC is so dead (not)

Page 2 of 2<12
June 12th, 2017 at 6:07:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman

Won't work for me. I have to have as much of the doc as possible on the screen at once. I am reading deeds, leases, and other legal docs. I need to see how things compare and scan as much as possible.

Ah!

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2017 at 6:18:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Ah!

Better. Looks expensive for now but better. What I am talking about with screen space.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2017 at 6:39:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
One huge disadvantage of a desktop
Power goes out, you lose what you are working on
Laptop, power goes out, no biggie.
I work from home, work provides me with a desktop. This is lightning country, power can go out
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 12th, 2017 at 7:35:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
One huge disadvantage of a desktop
Power goes out, you lose what you are working on

Uninterruptible power Supply.

Of course, they're expensive and they dies after a few years.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 13th, 2017 at 1:33:34 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
For me the biggest advantage desktops have over laptops is the size of the keyboard. I can't work as fast on a tiny crunched-up laptop keyboard.
June 13th, 2017 at 6:14:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: JB
For me the biggest advantage desktops have over laptops is the size of the keyboard. I can't work as fast on a tiny crunched-up laptop keyboard.

It makes sense to own a monitor or two, a full size keyboard and a mouse for when they are working on a laptop at home.

June 13th, 2017 at 6:30:24 AM permalink
Nareed
All the management types at work get laptops, because they often need to take them along on trips or visits with customers. One of them tells me what hurts him most isn't the size of the screen or the keyboard, but the lack of a numeric keypad.

What I can't comprehend is why he hasn't taken $20 and bought one. Especially since he can charge it to the company.
June 13th, 2017 at 6:35:39 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
I wouldn't call the keyboard in that picture full-sized. It's too small for me. It looks just like the keyboard that came with my Mac Mini.

And is that even a laptop? It looks like a tablet.
June 13th, 2017 at 6:53:17 AM permalink
Nareed
I wouldn't call the keyboard in that picture full-sized. It's too small for me. It looks just like the keyboard that came with my Mac Mini.

Mac keyboards are hideous, and hideously expensive.

Quote:

As they said in the old days: "six of one, half a dozen of the other."

It is in fact a Windows Surface tablet. But fact is high end tablets can do as much as a laptop. In a way, miniaturization fo electronics, all the rage back in the 70s, is finally affecting the PC industry beyond Moore's Law. Your cellphone isn't a phone, so much as a very portable computer with a phone call app. Do you ever Skype on the phone? Do you see the irony of making internet-based VOIP calls on a device allegedly designed to make phone calls?

I posted about Intel's computer on a card prototype product a while back. I can totally see getting one (it's the CPU, RAM, Bluetooth, WiFi and storage), and just popping it into a convenient docking station on any of a variety of devices you want to use: a laptop, a desktop, a phone, a tablet, adding, when needed, additional capabilities (like a graphics card, ports, cell connection, and above all displays and peripherals).
June 13th, 2017 at 1:33:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I meant it as a concept. The image below is for laptops with the newer USB-type C ports and multi-stream transport . You can connect one cable and you have battery recharge, full size keyboard, mouse and dual monitors.

But that is still fairly high tech. Normally you have to connect the power card, the monitor, and have a USB dongle plugged in which controls the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Page 2 of 2<12