The desktop PC is so dead (not)

Page 1 of 212>
June 8th, 2017 at 7:39:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Long story short, I was unexpectedly given a new PC at work this week. It's an HP running Win10 (Apology edition <w>).

As has been the case lately with HP, it runs well but the peripherals are fit for the dumpster. The monitor was very wide, but very squat, so I kept the old one. The keyboard seemed ok at first, until I started using it. For some reason, it has only one CONTROL key. Instead of the one on the right side, it has the key for < and >. I noticed only when I was trying to correct an email, and it ended up with a bunch of <<<<<<<<<<s. It also has two positions, as most keyboards do, but instead of flat and raised, it has flat and nearly flat.

I might ahve kept the old one, but it was on its last legs (it's alsted for two PCs alaready!) Some keys were no longer legible from so much use.

I'm also having trouble getting the IE11 to spell-check in English. My attempts to fix it ended up switching the OS language to English. I don't mind that at all, but the first time tech support comes to do anything, they won't be able to. I'm currently trying to switch it back.

IN the meantime, expect plenty of typos.

the other thing is that while not faster than the old Win7 HP I had, some cloud-based programs like BLUESCREEN and BLUESCREEN PLUS (not their real names) do run a hell of a lot faster.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 9th, 2017 at 8:09:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Man, this sucks.

In Win7, the OS and programs had no trouble handling multiple languages. I had the OS and programs configured in Spanish, but IE spell-checked English without trouble, and it could switch to checking Spanish with a click. Now it's either one language or another on Win10. I hadn't noticed this because at home it's all set to English and I rarely do anything in Spanish.

So I'm using Chrome on Win10 at work, which can still recognize languages easily.

For now, anyway...
June 12th, 2017 at 10:24:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Is it possible the USB ports are delivering more power?

In the old PC, it took most of the day to charge my old portable battery (power bank?). Today with the new PC it was done in a few hours. Then I hooked up Misisx, and she's gone from 38% to 51% in just a few minutes. In fact, in the time I wrote this, she's gained another percentage point.

Too bad I have the new battery charging in a wall outlet. Otherwise I'd try that one too.
June 12th, 2017 at 10:44:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I love desk tops and will get another one
when this one is shot. I have a laptop in
the bedroom, but they are not good office
computers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 12th, 2017 at 12:22:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
I love desk tops and will get another one
when this one is shot. I have a laptop in
the bedroom, but they are not good office
computers.

I would have said the same thing a year ago, but I'm pretty content with my laptop now that it basically gives all the same advantages as my desktop, plus is portable.

If I did any serious gaming it probably wouldn't be good enough, but since I don't it isn't. I use wifi when I'm out and direct line when I'm home.
Until I switched to a direct line from the wall I was unhappy with internet speed at home. Now there is zero difference.

SSD drive makes it fast.

If I really wanted a bigger screen at home, that's easy to fix as you can plug one into the port. That's the only thing that sometimes would be useful, but not so useful I've done anything about it. I also added a self-powered hub in case I need any extra USB.

I still have my i9 Windows 7 Desktop though. But it's off 99% of the time. I'm away from home right now. Have access to every program I use at home. No difference.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2017 at 12:26:13 PM permalink
rxwine
... I never could get use to the touchpad though, so I always use a mouse.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2017 at 12:28:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I would have said the same thing a year ago, but I'm pretty content with my laptop now that it basically gives all the same advantages as my desktop, plus is portable.

The big thing is screen size. I can't work at the courthouse unless I bring my second monitor. The millennials seem to do fine on smaller screens, but us older generation seem to have bigger screens and second monitors. We are reading lots of .pdfs and other docs and have to get into lots of detail.

If it were a sales job where you used it for just email and similar then yes, the laptop is enough. I'd rather a desktop for work given the choice.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2017 at 12:31:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Until I switched to a direct line from the wall I was unhappy with internet speed at home. Now there is zero difference.

I had the same experience at home.

At work it was even more interesting. Using WiFi, printouts would take longer to get started, and they'd pause often.
June 12th, 2017 at 1:14:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
The big thing is screen size. I can't work at the courthouse unless I bring my second monitor. The millennials seem to do fine on smaller screens, but us older generation seem to have bigger screens and second monitors. We are reading lots of .pdfs and other docs and have to get into lots of detail.

If it were a sales job where you used it for just email and similar then yes, the laptop is enough. I'd rather a desktop for work given the choice.

The touchpad and touchscreen have the ability to magnify entire screen by spreading two fingers apart on either just like phones.

Not sure if that works easily for what you're trying to do though,

June 12th, 2017 at 3:01:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The touchpad and touchscreen have the ability to magnify entire screen by spreading two fingers apart on either just like phones.

Not sure if that works easily for what you're trying to do though,

Won't work for me. I have to have as much of the doc as possible on the screen at once. I am reading deeds, leases, and other legal docs. I need to see how things compare and scan as much as possible.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>