Goodbye Net Neutrality

Page 9 of 9« First<6789
December 19th, 2017 at 3:09:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs

Being pissed got me there. It was incredibly rewarding to register people (I lost count, because I took over teams of registrars mid-summer, but collectively we could count about 2500 new voters). Some of the campaign paid workers pissed me off, one especially, so it wasn't all rainbows and roses, but very worthwhile.

Made several good friends, really learned a lot about the people in the district and different perspectives.

Thanks for the story, but let me ask specifically - What did it do for your sense of injustice? Did you then or do you now look back and say "I did it", or when remembering it do you still get in a huff?

This is what I'm stuck on. Through much reflection I've come to know that injustice is a big trigger of mine. Most of the time it's fine because most of the time I can have an effect, I can impose my will, if you will. Take my recent SNAFU... my kid's plastic sled, all 800 grams of it, struck my giant air compressor and it snapped the pressure gauge clean off. A Ben Franklin plastic sled fell 2 feet and snapped a 3/8" steel rod. Unbelievable and unacceptable. I don't sacrifice my life just for some multi-billion corp to make a few bucks by using Chinesium and rendering both my $700 tool and my entire garage useless, but here I have an avenue. I can simply swear off buying their garbage ever again. I through my means have made a change, I had an action available, I can hold them accountable. It takes me from "I'm going to burn down every Home Depot I see" all the way down to "S#$%, that sucks" and I move on. In other words, a healthy thing.

But it really doesn't matter what it is, injustice triggers me something awful. It's why my face is crooked from so many ass beatings; not all were just random violence. A good many, probably a majority, was just a case of not being able to stand by. It's why I can't pay that GD ER bill, even though i know I'm gonna get f#$%ed a lot harder in the long run, I just can't bow to that s#$%. Wrong must be put right. There needs to be at least one avenue to have an effect. There has to be hope.

So problems arise in these certain situations. Take Wells Fargo. You got c#$%s opening accounts in peoples names without their knowledge just to pad their whatever, just to get something for themselves, and at the pain of all the folks who were duped. Or better, take Experian. That's a great example. They take all your info, info of which you are powerless to protect. There is nothing you or I can do to excise us off their rolls. Then, they go and hide all our info behind a Spaceballs password and now ALL of OURS, mine and yours and EB's and Wiz's and AMS's and terapineds, it's all out there waiting to be taken. That's F#$%ED UP on a level I didn't even think existed. So then what?

I can't do nothing to Experian. They don't offer a product, and I am not allowed to prevent them from taking my s#$%. So in this case, I need an advocate, right? I need authority, a protector. And what did the protectors do? They didn't hold them accountable, didn't compensate me, didn't ensure it would never happen again, didn't get out a broom and sweep all my info up. They made it so that I, as the victim, CANNOT SUE MY ASSAILANT. They've protected the criminal, who's already got it all, and left me completely in the lurch.

Whether it's my POS governor and his SAFEAct bulls#$%, Experian's almost comical stupidity, the FCC claiming to act in the interest of the people yet going against the wishes of the VAST majority, replete with evidence of large personal gain as well as surreptitiously posing as the general public to spoof public support, this is where I find myself in one of my powder keg situations. That's when the sense of injustice starts to roil and when the fire starts to kindle, but in these cases, there's no outlet. No way to spend that energy. And the anger fuel decomposes into hate and we're loading arms and lighting torches.

In those situations, I get stuck. There's no face to speak to, no mind to affect, no body to confront. And I only know rigid logical arguments and trial by combat. If found in a position where one is compelled to stand, but the arguments are ignored and the combat disallowed.... wtf is one to do?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 19th, 2017 at 3:38:10 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Absolutely infuriating.

You. Can't. Change. Anything. From. Outside.

Some of what you're angry about, you can't fix directly. Some of it you can. Some of it you can come at from an angle, which is to get in there and make yourself heard. Go run for county commissioner. Or the group which manages your local hunting/fishing resources. It's either an appointed or elected position. Your zoning commission - keep your area from sprawl or crappy condos.

Something you care about and can turn that anger into productive juice. And especially, something that will matter to your son once he's an adult. But also, in general, something that matters to more than just you, that will improve the lives of your friends and neighbors.

You can't fix Experion, for example. But you can lobby for legislation that DOES allow you to take yourself off the grid. If you don't want a credit rating going forward, you shouldn't have to be part of their database. It won't happen right away, but it will never happen without a push to change it.

One of the most important elements is to focus your energy on one specific goal at a time. General whirlwind of anger at many things just increases the rage and resentment. You need to balance the injustice in other areas with making a difference in one you can affect. Get that done, move to the next one. Each time you will become more effective, grow a network of like-minded people, and take on bigger challenges.

Total sidebar: I envy but am glad to hear Ben Franklin has continued to survive the Walmart onslaught in your area. I grew up with them as a primary vendor and miss them very much.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 19th, 2017 at 5:27:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
From 2015. This is why Trump dumped
this disaster.

The truth of ‘Net Neutrality’ and Obama’s Internet Takeover

"Through a misinformation campaign conducted with almost breathless expertise, Obama, backed by groups funded by nearly $200 million of George Soros and Ford Foundation resolve, has managed to convince an inordinate number of Americans that a lack of so-called “net neutrality” will result in evil, faceless telecom companies forcing you to wait hours to upload the family Kwanzaa pics to Instagram, while evil, faceless telecom executives can log on to evilfacelesstelecom.com in the blink of an eye... think of it this way:

Obamacare.

That is “net neutrality.” It’s the ultimate globalist fantasy: corporations and government working together to dictate the flow of a vital resource. In this case, it’s the most vital resource of all: information."

https://personalliberty.com/truth-net-neutrality-obamas-internet-takeover/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 19th, 2017 at 11:19:45 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Evenbob
From 2015. This is why Trump dumped
this disaster.

The truth of ‘Net Neutrality’ and Obama’s Internet Takeover

"Through a misinformation campaign conducted with almost breathless expertise, Obama, backed by groups funded by nearly $200 million of George Soros and Ford Foundation resolve, has managed to convince an inordinate number of Americans that a lack of so-called “net neutrality” will result in evil, faceless telecom companies forcing you to wait hours to upload the family Kwanzaa pics to Instagram, while evil, faceless telecom executives can log on to evilfacelesstelecom.com in the blink of an eye... think of it this way:

Obamacare.

That is “net neutrality.” It’s the ultimate globalist fantasy: corporations and government working together to dictate the flow of a vital resource. In this case, it’s the most vital resource of all: information."

https://personalliberty.com/truth-net-neutrality-obamas-internet-takeover/

This is nonsense propaganda designed to inflame and distract, taking a universal issue and making it partisan. The ISPs are already charging users and providers for bandwidth. They should not be able to levy further charges on either end in order to build tiers of service and priority, especially since they are virtually monopolistic utilities in many locations.

It's as if they installed a second meter between your hot water heater and your bathtub. They charged you to bring the water to your house, whether heater or tap. Now they want to charge you again to use water that's hot, or they'll slow the gpm to a trickle and just let you have a lukewarm bath unless you pay for full service.

Doesn't take being a Republican or Democrat to figure out that's bs. It just takes an American. Like the 83% that opposed the loss of NN.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 20th, 2017 at 6:07:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The service is the pipeline, not the water.

In theory it might be nice to have an ISP give priority to an MRI rather than a centerfold, but in reality its the bandwidth that is vital, irrespective of its contents.

Neither charging extra for the hot water not limiting the flow is proper. Unfortunately, although not proper, it is profitable.
December 20th, 2017 at 9:48:53 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Fleastiff
The service is the pipeline, not the water.

In theory it might be nice to have an ISP give priority to an MRI rather than a centerfold, but in reality its the bandwidth that is vital, irrespective of its contents.

Neither charging extra for the hot water not limiting the flow is proper. Unfortunately, although not proper, it is profitable.

It's an imperfect metaphor, but I wasn't talking about the water. I was talking about putting another meter/constriction on the hot water pipe to make a surcharge on what you'd already bought.
December 21st, 2017 at 11:02:01 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I've been trying to get a more complete understanding of this issue and I am inclined to think that Pai made the right choice. If that sounds like week support, it is; I'm still reading up. Although I'm strongly in support of a free, open and neutral internet. I don't think title II regulation is the best way to ensure it.

1. FCC title II authority gives the FCC broad authority to control nearly every aspect on the ISP industry. Although the FCC announced that they are forgoing most of that power, it still introduces a lot of uncertainty to the ISP business model and may discourage more ISP competition. This seems extreme considering no harm has yet occurred.

2. We have been led to believe that FCC Title II classification is the only way to enforce a free and open internet. However before the 2015 rules were imposed, the FCC was discussing ways of enforcing NN using tittle I authority which it still has.

3. The most egregious practices that everyone fears could be challenged by the FTC as unfair / non competitive business practices. E.G. Say Google Fiber started crippling Amazon streaming.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 9 of 9« First<6789