4 votes (33.33%)
4 votes (33.33%)
4 votes (33.33%)
No votes (0%)

12 members have voted

January 29th, 2013 at 7:05:39 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
That was the subject of an e-mail i just received from Washington State Democrats. Apparently that's what the electoral votes would have been if all states allocated electoral votes by congressional district not by state. Here is an article about it: GOP lawmakers propose new rules to allocate Electoral College votes

So, what do you all think?
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
January 30th, 2013 at 12:43:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Republicans should be happy with the status quo, which gives many of the so-called red states an edge. I say that because the idea of changing to the popular vote is, well, very popular now.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 30th, 2013 at 7:40:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: miplet
That was the subject of an e-mail i just received from Washington State Democrats. Apparently that's what the electoral votes would have been if all states allocated electoral votes by congressional district not by state. Here is an article about it: GOP lawmakers propose new rules to allocate Electoral College votes

I like it. Still gives smaller areas the attention that would be lost if we abandoned the EC altogether. Dilutes the effect of potential voter fraud in big areas like Philadelphia.
The President is a fink.
January 30th, 2013 at 9:10:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The really important thing is that, in my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.

Any rule that annoys the hell out of both parties has a lot going for it right there. Furhter, any rule change that would benefit one party now, will harm that party later. So if you change the electroal college becasue now it favors you to do so, it will hurt you later down the road. And that's before taking into account that for every intended consequence meant to be achieved, there is at elast one unintended consequence. Often, too, it's the latter that prevails, while the former ends up only meaning well.

Therefore, in my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 30th, 2013 at 9:43:17 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: miplet

It is an interesting concept, and one notes that the constitution leaves it up to each individual state to decide how to apportion its electoral votes. Maine and Nebraska already follow this process, for example.

However the subject line of your email seems disingenuous, if not factually incorrect. The total adds up to 435 electoral votes, and as we all know thanks to Nate Silver, there are 538 total electoral votes. The extra 103 vote discrepancy comes from the fact that the WA state democrats apparently only totaled up each congressional district across the nation, failing to account for the 2 electoral votes that each state gets for its 2 senators. In the proposal by the WA state GOP, those two votes would go to the statewide winner, which is the most logical way to do it, since these senators are elected by a statewide vote. The other 3 votes come from the District of Columbia.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 30th, 2013 at 3:31:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
What would the 538 split be in this scenario?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 30th, 2013 at 4:06:17 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: TheCesspit
What would the 538 split be in this scenario?

At first I thought it would be hard to calculate. Then I realized it's just a matter of looking at the states carried by each candidate. From Wikipedia, Obama carried 26 states and DC, while Romney carried 24 states. So if they are correct in their tallying of the congressional districts (something I'm not going to fact check), the total would be 282-256 for Romney.

I'm skeptical of their tally of the congressional districts though, to be honest. It may be that they counted them up according to the GOP passing this plan in predominantly blue states, so as to siphon off some electoral votes for Romney, while leaving red states untouched (and thus 100% for Romney). That is what this article claims is in the works for the GOP.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 31st, 2013 at 8:52:54 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Of the eight votes, what are the odds every Democrat voted to keep things the same and every Republican voted to allocate electoral votes by congressional district?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 31st, 2013 at 10:37:17 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: Wizard
Of the eight votes, what are the odds every Democrat voted to keep things the same and every Republican voted to allocate electoral votes by congressional district?

I voted for change. I don't really like this whole winner take all thing.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
January 31st, 2013 at 10:47:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

About the same as a roulette ball landing on black, red, or green.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>