No votes (0%)
2 votes (28.57%)
1 vote (14.28%)

7 members have voted

February 9th, 2017 at 3:48:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I was going to ask this to FrG in private but maybe others may be interested in the answer so will ask out in the open.

My mother in law is a non-practicing Catholic and I think the only thing on her bucket list is to see the Pope in person. We're tentatively thinking of taking her to the Vatican this summer and making a European holiday out of it. It would be better to go sooner rather than later, while she is still able to get around easily.

So, my question is does the Vatican make public the dates that Pope Francis gives a public mass or whatever it is that he does? Any suggestions one how early to arrive, to be assured of getting close enough to see?

I'll be sure to bore the forum with my attempts to get a Vatican license plate.

The question for the poll is who is your favorite Pope?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2017 at 4:03:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I'll be sure to bore the forum with my attempts to get a Vatican license plate.

Depends. Just don't get caught sneaking Phillips head screwdrivers with your carry-on bags.
The President is a fink.
February 9th, 2017 at 4:59:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Depends. Just don't get caught sneaking Phillips head screwdrivers with your carry-on bags.

Is the punishment worse than for a flat-head one?
February 9th, 2017 at 5:11:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Is the punishment worse than for a flat-head one?

Most modern plates have Phillips head so no different punishment but take the tool you more likely need.
The President is a fink.
February 9th, 2017 at 5:26:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sell it immediately, jail if you get caught with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2017 at 5:35:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Sell it immediately, jail if you get caught with it.

To be honest, I would probably mail it home to myself.
February 9th, 2017 at 8:38:43 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

So, my question is does the Vatican make public the dates that Pope Francis gives a public mass or whatever it is that he does? Any suggestions one how early to arrive, to be assured of getting close enough to see?

The best info is on www.news.va/en.

I would never visit Rome in the summer again. Crowds crowds crowds crowds crowds. High prices for everything. Unbearable heat--think Vegas but with 90% humidity. And as far as getting close enough to actually see the Pope during one of his appearances--people camp out 3-4 days in advance. 500,000 people or more attend. And without nearly enough porta-potties available.

If you go, I would say get there by the middle of May or don't bother. Of course, that might depend on whether his Popeness is playing at home or away then. I do recommend the Vatican as a tourist destination. Rome is fascinating, too, but it has so many negatives, I'm never going back. Salient features of Rome in the summer are flies and pickpockets. One of each lands on you every fifteen seconds. And the Italian food is better in Chicago.
February 9th, 2017 at 9:02:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: stinkingliberal
The best info is on www.news.va/en.

I would never visit Rome in the summer again. Crowds crowds crowds crowds crowds. High prices for everything. Unbearable heat--think Vegas but with 90% humidity. And as far as getting close enough to actually see the Pope during one of his appearances--people camp out 3-4 days in advance. 500,000 people or more attend. And without nearly enough porta-potties available.

If you go, I would say get there by the middle of May or don't bother. Of course, that might depend on whether his Popeness is playing at home or away then. I do recommend the Vatican as a tourist destination. Rome is fascinating, too, but it has so many negatives, I'm never going back. Salient features of Rome in the summer are flies and pickpockets. One of each lands on you every fifteen seconds. And the Italian food is better in Chicago.

Thanks. That was good. I've heard similar complaints about Rome, but never so eloquently put.
February 9th, 2017 at 11:57:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: stinkingliberal

I would never visit Rome in the summer again. Crowds crowds crowds crowds crowds. High prices for everything. Unbearable heat... Rome is fascinating, too, but it has so many negatives, I'm never going back. Salient features of Rome in the summer are flies and pickpockets. One of each lands on you every fifteen seconds. And the Italian food is better in Chicago.

LOL! I made a post similar to this a couple years
ago. I was only in Rome once, in August, and
thought I would die. I mentioned most of the
things you did, but my biggest complaint was
public transportation. On a bus in Rome the
sickening stench of garlic is so strong I had
to almost hang my head out the window
to keep the gag reflex from making me upchuck.

They eat so much garlic it flows out in their sweat
in the summer. FrG, who loves Rome, all but
called me a liar, saying he doubted I'd ever been
there at all. I'll never go back, that's for sure.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 10th, 2017 at 6:29:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
my biggest complaint was public transportation.

You find yourself longing for the roomy underground cars in London. The cheaper hotel rooms are near the train station.

Personally, I think you must in good shape to visit Rome. The only real practical alternative is to walk everywhere. Even though the taxi fares don't look high compared to Las Vegas, the upfront is higher and traffic is incredibly slow and all routes are convoluted.

It is 5 km from Termini Train Station to St Peter's and 2.4 km from Train Station to Spanish Steps. Since 2000 the year there are nonstop trains from airport to Termini. Watch out for baggage thieves and pickpockets.

My architecture professor alerted us to try and visit two small churches that are often overlooked. They are by Borromini and Bernini, the two primary architects of Rome, and are often overlooked as they are just outside of the primary tourist areas. The churches are 200 yards from each other and less than a mile from train station.
http://santandrea.gesuiti.it/ (see the interior)
http://www.sovraintendenzaroma.it/i_luoghi/roma_medioevale_e_moderna/fontane/complesso_delle_quattro_fontane (see the exterior)

As an athlete don't fail to run around the Circus Maximus as portrayed in Ben Hur. Although it doesn't look like much anymore, it is still a great fantasy.

ROME
Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) $4.85
Taxi 1 mile (Normal Tariff) $2.57
Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) $50.60

LAS VEGAS
Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) $3.30
Taxi 1 mile (Normal Tariff) $3.01
Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) $34.00
Page 1 of 51234>Last »