"Hidden Figures" Movie

Page 2 of 3<123>
January 6th, 2017 at 12:29:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

And on and on. Probably too many to name.

The only real reality show I know of
is Cops. And even that is boring. To
get 22 min for a 30 min show, they
have to put 4 cameramen in 4 different
squad cars and ride around for a
week. Hundreds of hours just to
get 22min worth showing on TV.
Real life is that boring.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2017 at 12:43:14 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm not saying that fictional stories or "dramatizations" shouldn't be produced. Just don't tout them as accurately representing the "untold true story". Reality can be boring, but it can also be really interesting if the story is well told. That's why PBS pays Ken Burns Productions big bucks.

In addition to Oliver Stone, I notice Kevin Costner in a lot of these (J.F.K., Wyatt Earp, 13 Days, McFarland USA).
January 6th, 2017 at 12:48:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba
it can also be really interesting if the story is well told. That's why PBS pays Ken Burns Productions big bucks.

Ken Burns takes boring history and presents
it in a slick way. He doesn't fudge the facts,
he just arranges them for dramatic effect.
He can make reading a phone book seem
interesting. But so can Rush Limbaugh, it's
a real talent.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2017 at 12:59:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm not saying that fictional stories or "dramatizations" shouldn't be produced. Just don't tout them as accurately representing the "untold true story". Reality can be boring, but it can also be really interesting if the story is well told. That's why PBS pays Ken Burns Productions big bucks.

In addition to Oliver Stone, I notice Kevin Costner in a lot of these (J.F.K., Wyatt Earp, 13 Days, McFarland USA).

"Based on the untold true story" and that's the way it is being advertised by Fox and in the trailer. (20th Century Fox)

BASED is all you have to say, (if I was a lawyer). They put it in there, and NOTHING could be true even. (if I was a lawyer, I would say that)

NOW, if the damn places that report fake news would even go that far. "Based on a real event" in some cases the public might take notice.

Or probably not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2017 at 12:05:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Teams of math-types spent several days on certain decrypts at Bletchley Park. This current movie about the space program features one character that is an amalgam of three such women in the program. Real life if often far different than TV.

In television the cops place a microphone and get broacast-quality audio from it. In one notable case in Florida the cops placed a number of microphones and got utterly useless background noise and snippets of conversation as people moved their heads or walked around in relation to the microphones. This did not stop the cops from taking affidavits to the judge about overheard incriminating confessions but it was pure fiction unrelated to the totally uninteligibe tapes. Riding a bug, ie, live listening to a microphone and taking notes is boring frustrating work and often utterly unproductive.

One case had two autopsies, police and private investigators before they even discovered the victim had been shot. Try writing a script that solves that case in twenty two minutes. One real life case got solved only because the hotel lawyers feared a civil premises-liability lawsuit and hired a private detective to work on the case. The cops could never have devoted the hours or the equipment involved. And certainly couldn't have done it in one episode of reality tv.
January 7th, 2017 at 6:28:15 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
What about Dragnet. "This story is true, only the names are changed to protect the innocent?" Now if a movie says that you should expect a lot of purity.

I have to admit Dragnet was pretty dry stuff sometimes. But I'm sure they had to 'imagine " some of the scenes, and didn't have exact details.

Watch any episode of Law and Order and think of Dragnet as you do. The only difference is the cars and clothing, and no voiceover.
January 8th, 2017 at 1:32:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Its unfortunate that the stereotype of the uneducated Black Woman exists today
A recent example
There was a Delta flight where a passenger required a Doctors help
The Flight attendants asked if a Dr was onboard
A Doctor volunteered but was dismissed by the attendants due to being a Black Woman
Delta finally changed their policy- Now any DR can help regardless if they are a Black female :-)

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/10/14/delta-investigating-black-female-doctors-accusations-blatant-discrimination.html

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/12/21/delta-changes-policy-in-response-to-black-female-doctor-discrimination-incident/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 8th, 2017 at 1:40:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The only real reality show I know of
is Cops. And even that is boring. To
get 22 min for a 30 min show, they
have to put 4 cameramen in 4 different
squad cars and ride around for a
week. Hundreds of hours just to
get 22min worth showing on TV.
Real life is that boring.

Well, I would kind of prefer cops in my town die of boredom to be honest!

Even "exciting" stuff is boring. I was in a building that was evacuated for a real fire and real earthquake in the same afternoon. In the end all we did was stood around waiting for it to be cleared. Boring.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2017 at 3:09:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
In the end all we did was stood around waiting for it to be cleared. Boring.

Even war is mostly boring. Talk to
vets and it's just a daily grind like
any other job. My son is a pilot
for AA and he makes great money
for doing almost nothing. As soon
as they're air born they switch to
auto pilot. They have to, it's almost
impossible to fly a jumbo jet manually.
He says it's mind bogglingly boring
work.
January 8th, 2017 at 3:27:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Even war is mostly boring. Talk to
vets and it's just a daily grind like
any other job. My son is a pilot
for AA and he makes great money
for doing almost nothing. As soon
as they're air born they switch to
auto pilot. They have to, it's almost
impossible to fly a jumbo jet manually.
He says it's mind bogglingly boring
work.

Boredom is one of the biggest problems in war, any general will tell you that. Why they have morale officers.

I think the boredom of life is why we have such a drug problem. People think life should be more exciting so they smoke a few joints because they cannot handle the boredom.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>