No votes (0%)
2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

August 23rd, 2018 at 2:16:34 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
I know that we have a lot of smart people here who are always ready provide facts and their opinions.

There has been a lot of hype about Cohen’s guilty plea and that some of what he did was done to “influence an election”.

Could someone cite the section of the US Code, which shows that “influence an election” is a crime. If it is, could you also provide what are the penalties if convicted of this crime?
Let's go Brandon
August 23rd, 2018 at 2:21:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
And you accuse me of not paying attention to the real news. This is about as big a lie as one could peddle!

Wow, you didn't know this? It's a
fact, look it up.

FISA Applications Confirm: The FBI Relied on the Unverified Steele Dossier

A salacious Clinton-campaign product was the driving force behind the Trump–Russia investigation. Based on the dossier, the FBI told the FISA court it believed that Carter Page, who had been identified by the Trump campaign as an adviser, was coordinating with the Russian government in an espionage conspiracy to influence the 2016 election.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/carter-page-fisa-applications-fbi-steele-dossier/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 23rd, 2018 at 2:41:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: fleaswatter
I know that we have a lot of smart people here who are always ready provide facts and their opinions.

There has been a lot of hype about Cohen’s guilty plea and that some of what he did was done to “influence an election”.

Could someone cite the section of the US Code, which shows that “influence an election” is a crime. If it is, could you also provide what are the penalties if convicted of this crime?

Do your own research
I am not a lawyer
Write an email to Cohen's lawyer and let us know what he says
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 23rd, 2018 at 3:22:39 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
Do your own research
I am not a lawyer
Write an email to Cohen's lawyer and let us know what he says

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Just the type of "non-response" I expected from you.

Hook, line and sinker
Let's go Brandon
August 23rd, 2018 at 3:36:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
.Could someone cite the section of the US Code, which shows that “influence an election” is a crime. If it is, could you also provide what are the penalties if convicted of this crime?

That's what Dershowitz and others are
asking, they want to see the statute
in the law where this violation occurred.

They can't provide the statute because
it doesn't exist. So instead, they demean
the people asking the question. This is
what happens when someone is tried
in the media instead of a courtroom.
The first thing a judge would ask for
is the law that was violated.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 23rd, 2018 at 4:41:32 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58

It's not illegal to influence an election. It's illegal to exceed limits on a campaign contribution, and it's illegal to create a fictitious Delaware shell company (Essential Consultants LLC) to conceal an illegal contribution that exceeds FEC limits.

The reason it's such a big deal that Cohen's guilty plea included the phrase "influence an election" is because it provides a motive for the payment. Back in May, Rudy said the motive was personal, cause Donald just wanted to protect his marriage to Melania.

Quote: Fox & Friends
“If we had to defend this as not being a campaign contribution, I think we could do that,” Giuliani said. "This was for personal reasons. This was the president had been hurt, personally, not politically, personally so much. and the First Lady, by some of the false allegations, that one more false allegation, six years old. i think he was trying to help the family. For that, the man is being treated like some kind of villain. He was just being a good lawyer. And a good man."

The problem with Rudy's argument is that the wire transfer occurred on October 27, the NDA was signed on October 28, and the election was on November 9.

Once Trump gets indicted (after his 2nd term ends in 2024, of course) Rudy will have to convince a jury that it was just a coincidence that the election was on November 9, Rudy will have to convince a jury that Michael Cohen was lying when he said the motive was to "influence an election," Rudy will have to convince a jury that Cohen's lengthy paper trail of forged documents doesn't exist, Rudy will have to convince a jury that Cohen's September 2016 audio recording of Trump discussing hush money is a fake audio recording, Rudy will have to convince a jury that David Pecker's testimony is false, Rudy will have to convince a jury that Stormy's allegations are false, Rudy will have to convince a jury that Karen McDougal's allegations are false, because remember: Cohen did all of this behind Trump's back without Trump's knowledge cause Trump never slept with Stormy or McDougal which is why he paid them. The trial will be slam dunk easy win for the defense.
August 23rd, 2018 at 6:08:36 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Wow, you didn't know this? It's a
fact, look it up.

FISA Applications Confirm: The FBI Relied on the Unverified Steele Dossier

A salacious Clinton-campaign product was the driving force behind the Trump–Russia investigation. Based on the dossier, the FBI told the FISA court it believed that Carter Page, who had been identified by the Trump campaign as an adviser, was coordinating with the Russian government in an espionage conspiracy to influence the 2016 election.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/carter-page-fisa-applications-fbi-steele-dossier/

Oh wow, your National Review article changed my mind! /sarcasm

I’ll supply an NBC News article that you can discount, even though the facts are on my side.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/why-team-trump-wrong-about-carter-page-dossier-secret-warrant-n893666
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 23rd, 2018 at 8:43:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288

I’ll supply an NBC News article

So the proof that the dossier was a tiny
part of the FISA warrant is super 'secret
evidence' that can't be revealed that
Page was deeply connected to Russia.
Really? I mean, really????

Page and Papandopolous are still walking
the streets, why aren't they in prison?
Page is laughable, he's a dope, he knows
nothing and never knew anything. He
hasn't been indicted and never will be.

Page has consistently denied working as an agent of the Russians and has not been charged with any crime after almost two years of investigation.
In an interview with CNN’s State of the Union on Sunday, he reiterated his denials and described the FBI’s application to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance (Fisa) court as “so ridiculous it’s beyond words”. He accused law enforcement of misleading the court.
“I’ve never been an agent of a foreign power by any stretch of the imagination,” he said.

But but, they have all this super secret
info that he's a Russian agent. Sure they
do. lol
August 23rd, 2018 at 8:52:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-22/small-business-ownership-among-black-americans-jumps-400-one-year

Good to see minority business ownership is growing skyrocketing.

Didn't see this headline on cnn or msnbc?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 23rd, 2018 at 9:11:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Good to see minority business ownership is growing skyrocketing.
Didn't see this headline on cnn or msnbc?

Nor will you. The media is ignoring all
this, just like they ignored 10's of thousands
showing up at Trump rallies. Doens't
fit their talking points memo.