23 members have voted

April 4th, 2018 at 4:58:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
And yet his popularity keeps growing
in his base, that's undeniable

"In his base" is the key phrase there.

The other 2/3rds of America hate his guts.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 4th, 2018 at 7:07:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Stock market will be tanking today.

Very likely.

Quote:
What a moron we have for a President getting into a pissing match with China

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Orange Clown has a point (now I need to take a shower). China does indulge in unfair practices and appropriates intelectual property.

The problem is that you put a clown in the White House, one who is ignorant of politics and economics. He seems to reduce everything to the size of the trade deficit. He forgets, or maybe doesn't even know, China trades and does business with other countries, many of whom have the same problems. Many of these countries are part of the TPP, which Trump withdrew from. This withdrawal reduces America's ability to pressure China. Other countries, namely European ones, also have gripes against China.

So what should have happened is that the US should have lead dozens of other countries, including all the major economic powers like Japan, South Korea, France, Germany, the UK, etc., into pressuring China to reform. Measures available are varied, covering a spectrum from diplomatic, cultural, political and economic ones. With tariffs and trade wars a distant last resort.

Instead Trump went and junked the TPP, which as noted harms America's ability to pressure China, and alienates the remaining TPP members. he's also waging lower level trade war against allies like South Korea, Mexico, and Canada. And keeps acting as though diplomacy is hopelessly tainted with Hillary cooties.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2018 at 1:37:07 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
The Trump train.
This is reality
Stock market will be tanking today.
What a moron we have for a President getting into a pissing match with China

Just to be clear, is a 1.3% rise in the markets how you define "tanking"?
April 4th, 2018 at 1:53:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

Market went up 250 today, what tanking.
I don't get it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2018 at 2:30:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO

I was wrong
If I am wrong, I always man up and admit it
I don't move the goalposts like EB :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 5th, 2018 at 7:30:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
No reason for a trade war, even by Trump's moronic standards:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/united-states-has-no-external-deficit-by-ricardo-hausmann-2018-03
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 5th, 2018 at 10:58:51 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I was wrong

Said by many who voiced a stock market prediction. There have been several times when I had information as an employee that, in my view, would have a substantial impact to the stock price if it were known to the investment community. Per my ethical and legal obligation, I refrained from trading my stock options until the information was publicly disclosed. Rarely did the market react to the information as I assumed it would. I would really suck at insider trading.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 5th, 2018 at 11:12:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Said by many who voiced a stock market prediction. There have been several times when I had information as an employee that, in my view, would have a substantial impact to the stock price if it were known to the investment community. Per my ethical and legal obligation, I refrained from trading my stock options until the information was publicly disclosed. Rarely did the market react to the information as I assumed it would. I would really suck at insider trading.

I was pretty blown away that the market did not drop after China announced the tariffs
Good thing I didn't bet the house on Put options
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 5th, 2018 at 11:32:23 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I was pretty blown away that the market did not drop after China announced the tariffs
Good thing I didn't bet the house on Put options

You were right for most of day. Maybe the China tariffs pushed it down but something else pushed it back up. Most of the time no one can tell what the market is reacting to. The finance reporters claim to know but they rarely do.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 5th, 2018 at 11:45:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
THIS is the reason the stock market stabilized yesterday:

Larry Kudlow: Trump's tariffs on China may not go into effect
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman