2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

October 6th, 2017 at 11:32:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Just 24 percent of Americans believe the country is heading in the right direction after a tumultuous stretch for President Donald Trump that included the threat of war with North Korea, stormy complaints about hurricane relief and Trump's equivocating about white supremacists. That's a 10-point drop since June, according to a poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

The decline in optimism about the nation's trajectory is particularly pronounced among Republicans. In June, 60 percent of Republicans said the country was headed in the right direction; now it's just 44 percent.

The broader picture for the president is grim, too. Nearly 70 percent of Americans say Trump isn't level-headed, and majorities say he's not honest or a strong leader. More than 60 percent disapprove of how he is handling race relations, foreign policy and immigration, among other issues.
Overall, 67 percent of Americans disapprove of the job Trump is doing in office, including about one-third of Republicans.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ap-poll-just-24-percent-say-us-heading-in-right-direction/ar-AAsZSgo?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2017 at 6:05:53 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
But how did the market do under BHO?

Answer that, and I think we can find out where the real disingenuity lies...

Within one day of DJT being elected the markets were up substantially. You may want to call it a coincidence. I think not. market ups and downs are often caused by perception as opposed to actual facts or events. I stand by my comment that the markets are up BECAUSE DJT is President and not HRC. Will DJT policies eventually be responsible for a crash? Possibly. But the perception of a 'red tape cutting' President I believe has propped up the markets.

The markets did fine under BHO The Dow was up around 5800 points for the 8 years from his election to a first term to DJT's election. In the single year since DJTs election it is up around 3600. So around 700 a year for BHO, 3600 a year for DJT. Do you consider that close? I know.... blah blah blah....

Edit- was off by a year... used 2007 not 2008. See post below.....
October 7th, 2017 at 6:36:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
The markets did fine under BHO The Dow was up around 5800 points for the 8 years from his election to a first term to DJT's election.

You may want to double check this number (it's wrong).

The Dow closed at 7,949 on Obama's Inauguration Day.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 7th, 2017 at 7:13:11 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
You may want to double check this number (it's wrong).

The Dow closed at 7,949 on Obama's Inauguration Day.

My bad. I was off by a year. But now having looked at the data it even proves my point more clearly.
The dow closed at 9625 on election day 2008.
TWO days later it closed at 8695. Two weeks after that it was at 7552.

Obviously, he wasn't President yet, hadn't enacted a single law or policy, but the perception was that he'd be bad for business, companies, etc. The continued success of the markets during his two terms as you point out would show that not to be true, but it is undeniable that the 'market movers' were not in favor of BHO's Presidency at the outset. Just as I am willing to concede that over the course of time DJT's tax policies, spending plans, healthcare "solutions" all might hamstring and hurt our economy, his election was primarily responsible for the recent gains. WE can go back and forth, but both your assertion and mine as well are not provable, nor refutable.
October 7th, 2017 at 8:29:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
That's so odd because usually during hurricanes
like we just had, they cause jobs to surge. No,
wait, I might have that backwards. LOLOL

Was that the first hurricane to hit the us in 7 years?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 7th, 2017 at 8:36:48 AM permalink
Dalex64
Within one day of DJT being elected the markets were up substantially. You may want to call it a coincidence. I think not. market ups and downs are often caused by perception as opposed to actual facts or events. I stand by my comment that the markets are up BECAUSE DJT is President and not HRC. Will DJT policies eventually be responsible for a crash? Possibly. But the perception of a 'red tape cutting' President I believe has propped up the markets.

The markets did fine under BHO The Dow was up around 5800 points for the 8 years from his election to a first term to DJT's election. In the single year since DJTs election it is up around 3600. So around 700 a year for BHO, 3600 a year for DJT. Do you consider that close? I know.... blah blah blah....

Edit- was off by a year... used 2007 not 2008. See post below.....

I wouldn't call it coincidence, but I would say you are cherry picking individual data points which are favorable to your argument.

I have been trying to use evidence over longer periods of time, such as comparing overall stock market performance over the same range of times covering the starts of the president's first, and second where applicable, terms.

I don't think it is any surprise to see an initial larger uptick when a republican administration takes over due to their perceived pro-business and hoped for pro business policy implementations.

Past this sort of bubble and short term bump, you can compare the longer term performance and trends.

Also when talking about growth in the Dow, I think percentages are more useful and comparable than just points.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 7th, 2017 at 11:56:16 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
I wouldn't call it coincidence, but I would say you are cherry picking individual data points which are favorable to your argument.

I have been trying to use evidence over longer periods of time, such as comparing overall stock market performance over the same range of times covering the starts of the president's first, and second where applicable, terms.

I don't think it is any surprise to see an initial larger uptick when a republican administration takes over due to their perceived pro-business and hoped for pro business policy implementations.

Past this sort of bubble and short term bump, you can compare the longer term performance and trends.

Also when talking about growth in the Dow, I think percentages are more useful and comparable than just points.

Can't argue with a single point you make here. I hope the same thing happens when Trump is replaced by whoever our brilliant electorate votes in next!
October 7th, 2017 at 12:44:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Seems like we've had manmade or natural disasters week after week for 2 months. I blame Trump.

Maybe he's the anti-Christ.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2017 at 12:53:44 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Evenbob
That's so odd because usually during hurricanes
like we just had, they cause jobs to surge. No,
wait, I might have that backwards. LOLOL

You also called this hurricane wimpy, a non-event, or other similar terms (not those exact words). If that were true, how could it possibly affect jobs, going from 150,000+ added jobs to negative tens of thousands the next?
October 7th, 2017 at 2:46:18 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Obviously, he wasn't President yet, hadn't enacted a single law or policy, but the perception was that he'd be bad for business, companies, etc.

And the economy completely tanking and entering the worst recession in a generation had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

I don't think you are wrong about Donald's effect on the Dow, though. Wall Street wants their tax cuts at the expense of the middle class!! It's so close they can taste it..
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman