Can Hillary Still Win?

April 13th, 2017 at 12:17:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
As opposed to the other strategy in politics?

There's another strategy? Obama probably abused
it the most, but they all do it. Well, Bush Sr didn't
blame Reagan for obvious reasons, but I think even
Lincoln blamed his predecessor. There is something
to it, wherever you turn you run into the last presidents
leavings.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 13th, 2017 at 2:43:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
There's another strategy? Obama probably abused
it the most, but they all do it. Well, Bush Sr didn't
blame Reagan for obvious reasons, but I think even
Lincoln blamed his predecessor. There is something
to it, wherever you turn you run into the last presidents
leavings.

Not just politics. In business people will do the same. Ever hear Lee Iacocca say what a mess Chrysler was when he got there? Then he started blaming the Japanese. Normal. Just that you have a shelf life on it. You cannot be years later saying, "I inherited a bad situation...."
The President is a fink.
April 13th, 2017 at 5:58:27 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I liked Obama goofing off playing golf cause he hopefully would get less done to ruin America. I love Trump playing golf because as he plays he works toward making America great again.
April 13th, 2017 at 8:23:48 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Well stated..... but.... I still don't want the government always protecting me from myself. The most obvious example is motorcycles. Eliminate motorcycles and deaths and severe morbidity drop per passenger mile. Significantly. Boxing/MMA--- I can only imagine the long term neurological problems.....
Etc....
If I showed you a link that proves a certain antidepressant (which has some unpleasant side effects) cuts suicide risk in half, would you FORCE people to use it, or just give them an option?

An option. With guns, the thing many don't want to acknowledge is that gun ownership tends to result in more people dying. Sometimes it's more bad guys dying from good people with guns, sometimes the reverse and sometimes from accidents and self harm.

If that's a price people/society are willing to pay, that's fine. But many won't acknowledge that, and I think that's a fundamental part missing from the arguments about gun control/gun rights. The US has a dichotomy between government control and freedom of the individual... possibly bigger than most other places.

On the Canada figures... while gun ownership overall is lower, I believe long gun ownership in rural parts of Canada is at least on par with the US rural areas. Comparing with other countries with lower overall gun ownership rates shows a lower suicide rate in general.

---

I totally accept that suicides can and are planned over a long time. But others are not, and when they the form of the attempt is more fatal, there's less chance of the care and help people might need to get through it. Nothing will stop the long-term suicidal depressive if they don't get help (and often even if they do). Many things can help those with short term depression.

Oh look, gun debate rolls back around to mental health care...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 13th, 2017 at 9:24:23 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Well stated..... but.... I still don't want the government always protecting me from myself. The most obvious example is motorcycles. Eliminate motorcycles and deaths and severe morbidity drop per passenger mile. Significantly. Boxing/MMA--- I can only imagine the long term neurological problems.....
Etc....
If I showed you a link that proves a certain antidepressant (which has some unpleasant side effects) cuts suicide risk in half, would you FORCE people to use it, or just give them an option?

How do you feel about helmet laws? Worked with a group at work in 1980 who Josie described as The Charles Mason murderers. 4 bearded dudes and a sweetheart named Karen. Died of ovarian cancer in her mid 20's. All 4 guys were bearded, one had owned a parachute club in
Washington state and every few years FBI would check to see if he was D B Cooper. All had Harleys, wore helmets and leathers.
Even in summertime in Houston.
I still get pissed when I see an idiot , with or without helmet, with a young lady behind him on same motorcycle, her without a helmet, weaving in and out of traffic, often on a crotch rocket. GRRRRRRRRRRR
I almost bought an Indian many many years ago. But all too often I have been about to change lanes when I remember at last moment I passed a motorcycle recently. If I check out, want it to be on my terms.
I did get a very sane answer from a biker in 80's on why he was opposed to wearing a helmet !
" What's the use of having long hair if nobody can see it ?"

Only two times I have been envious of another driver. Once passeda station wagon and a trainer had 8 greyhounds out for a ride. If you have even been on 70West, past the mousetrap ( I70 & I25 ), passing Lakeside Amusement park a few miles later. Well, there is a curve then and a great view of the Rocky Mtns. One day towards sunset, on the other side, in a break in traffic, came this Harley, big windshield, dude laying back while he rolled a joint. Damn, wished I had had a camera.
April 15th, 2017 at 7:33:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Trump has done what Obama was terrified of
doing, he turned the military over to the
military. Trump has the final say, but the
military is now not being micro managed
into the ground by a totally ignorant
civilian who's afraid of a chickens shadow.
We lost a ton of good brass under Obama
because they hated his guts. I hope we
have some good ones left.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2017 at 5:16:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: buzzardknot
How do you feel about helmet laws?
" What's the use of having long hair if nobody can see it ?"

I am against helmet laws. I want the government to disseminate the information on how much safer it is to ride with a helmet than without. I want the individual to decide if he is willing to take the added risk for the added enjoyment of riding helmet free.
April 16th, 2017 at 5:31:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I am against helmet laws. I want the government to disseminate the information on how much safer it is to ride with a helmet than without. I want the individual to decide if he is willing to take the added risk for the added enjoyment of riding helmet free.

Lets extend that to seatbelt laws and all other laws to "keep us safe" like trigger locks, etc. Let the people who want to be told how to live move to a HOA neighborhood.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2017 at 11:19:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Lets extend that to seatbelt laws and all other laws to "keep us safe" like trigger locks, etc. Let the people who want to be told how to live move to a HOA neighborhood.

I agree, but I do think minors need protection. So I'm ok with laws requiring minors to be belted. I'm also ok with laws on 'trigger locks', because that will protect OTHERS from your malfeasance. Me not wearing a safety belt only affects me.
April 16th, 2017 at 12:11:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I agree, but I do think minors need protection. So I'm ok with laws requiring minors to be belted. I'm also ok with laws on 'trigger locks', because that will protect OTHERS from your malfeasance. Me not wearing a safety belt only affects me.

A trigger lock really does not protect others at all. It just makes life harder and more expensive for the person who owns the firearm.

One thing I cannot believe is how long they keep kids in some kind of car seat these days. Back in my day we rode unbelted in the front seat, didn't need no stinking airbags. Yeah, keep kids belted, but a car seat at the age some of them use one until?
The President is a fink.