Will DJT repeal same sex marriages?

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
November 12th, 2016 at 3:51:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: stinkingliberal
The silver lining in all this is that the country will get to see exactly what one-party rule behind an evil jerk is like.

Already saw that movie, 2009-2011.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2016 at 5:18:18 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
Already saw that movie, 2009-2011.

You are truly fact-proof. At what time in recent history has the same party ruled the House, the Senate, the Presidency, the majority of state legislatures, and the majority of state governorships? Democrats surely didn't control all those elements in 2009-2011. We're going to find out what Republican autocratic rule is like. Sieg Heil!

I know you're upset that temporary control of the Senate back then allowed the Democrats to provide health care to the lesser breeds, but not to worry, not to worry, your hero is coming onto the scene to wipe out all the inferiors.

And BTW, to imply that Obama is anything but a decent and good man is just plain stupid, regardless of whether you agree with his politics or not. He took the election results with an amazing degree of grace, and even treated Trump like a human being, something that Trump doesn't in any way deserve.
November 12th, 2016 at 6:13:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
You are truly fact-proof. At what time in recent history has the same party ruled the House, the Senate, the Presidency, the majority of state legislatures, and the majority of state governorships? Democrats surely didn't control all those elements in 2009-2011. We're going to find out what Republican autocratic rule is like.

The Democrats controlled both houses in 1993-94 under Clinton and in 2009-10 under Obama. In 2008 the Republicans only controlled 19 state legislatures and 7 legislatures were split (Nebraska is a non-partisan unicameral legislature)

Today
legislative bodies are 30R,12D,7S, 1 Nebraska
governorship is 31R,18D, 1 IND

Sieg Heil!

You weaken your arguments with these interjections. Only 6 months ago people were certain the Democrats would control Presidency, probably control the Senate, and possibly the House.

Things change relatively quickly in the USA. It doesn't mean we are descending into fascism.
November 12th, 2016 at 6:26:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
The Democrats controlled both houses in 1993-94 under Clinton and in 2009-10 under Obama. In 2008 the Republicans only controlled 19 state legislatures and 7 legislatures were split (Nebraska is a non-partisan unicameral legislature)

Today
legislative bodies are 30R,12D,7S, 1 Nebraska
governorship is 31R,18D, 1 IND

You weaken your arguments with these interjections. Only 6 months ago people were certain the Democrats would control Presidency, probably control the Senate, and possibly the House.

Things change relatively quickly in the USA. It doesn't mean we are descending into fascism.

You do know that by pointing this out you are going to give Joe a stroke?
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2016 at 6:36:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

It's amazing how quickly the Left has
buried themselves in Godwins Law
already. Skip the rest and make yourself
look foolish as fast as you can is their
motto.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 7:09:12 PM permalink
stinkingliberal

Thank you for doing the research and proving my point. At no time in recent history has one party controlled the House, the Senate, the White House, a majority of state legislatures, and a majority of governorships. Aside from that, the state legislature situation changed between 2008 (the time you mention) and 2009 (when Obama took office). And even if the Democrats did have control of the House and the Senate, most state governors were Republican, as they are now. I don't know the exact makeup of the state legislatures in 2009--perhaps you could tell us--but THAT would be the proper comparison to the current situation--I've been referring to what WILL happen when Trump takes office.

It was predictable that EvenBob and AZDuffy would start crowing. But it seems like I was right--the situation that is about to exist has not been in place since the 1920s. And we all know how THAT decade ended.
November 12th, 2016 at 7:12:35 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Evenbob
It's amazing how quickly the Left has
buried themselves in Godwins Law
already. Skip the rest and make yourself
look foolish as fast as you can is their
motto.

Silly little people on the internet can be relied upon to cite Godwin's Law (even without the proper punctuation). It's a very tired and unimaginative trope. But I am complimented by EvenBob's equating me with the entire Left (whoever or whatever he thinks the Left is). I'm touched by his respect for me, in saying that I have so much power.

He's played you, Bob :)
November 12th, 2016 at 7:14:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Why are the state governments and governors relevant to one party controlling the federal government?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 12th, 2016 at 7:14:58 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: AZDuffman
You do know that by pointing this out you are going to give Joe a stroke?

Since he kindly did the research that proved that no party has controlled all five aspects of state and federal government in the last several decades (the last actual time was the 1920s, when Republican control resulted in the Great Depression), I'm rather grateful to him and happy.
November 12th, 2016 at 7:22:34 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Dalex64
Why are the state governments and governors relevant to one party controlling the federal government?

Not directly. But it is a factor that affects the general direction the country takes. Also, the makeup of the state legislature and the party affiliation of the governor influence the actions of the state's Congressional representatives and Senators. A lot depends on whether there is a unified agenda; if the representatives are at odds with the legislature and/or governor, less gets done.

You can view that as a good or a bad thing, of course. The recently announced Republican initiatives to destroy the EPA, renege on the Paris climate accords, and cancel Obama's Clean Power Initiative will meet with very little opposition at the state level. This, despite the fact that many individual states are much more affected by pollution and environmental damage than others. The redneck idiots in the flyover states complain about their miserable lives, and now they'll support the removal of legislation that will result in turning their neighborhoods into toxic waste dumps. Choke on coal smoke, Republicans!
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>