Will DJT repeal same sex marriages?

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
November 10th, 2016 at 1:55:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
My brother, who is a preacher has been hearing people say that President DJT will repeal same sex marriages. I said that AFAIK there is no supreme court decision equivalent to "Roe v Wade" and "Loving v. Virginia" which either upholds or denies the right of a state to either permit or prohibit same sex marriage.

Now obviously the two Clinton appointees are of an advanced age, and DJT may get a chance to appoint their replacements
Ruth Bader Ginsburg (age 83)
Stephen Breyer (age 78)

But other than his potnetial influence in the Supreme Court, is there any truth to rumour that DJT will somehow invalidate existing same sex marriages?
November 10th, 2016 at 2:03:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But other than his potnetial influence in the Supreme Court, is there any truth to rumour that DJT will somehow invalidate existing same sex marriages?

For all the faults of this horrible man, I don't think he cares much about that. But his SC picks could be quite damaging. Still, if they haven't managed to do away with abortion, even when the country is very divided over it, the chance for reversing this decisions is much lower, given widespread popular support for marriage equality.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2016 at 2:21:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
For all the faults of this horrible man, I don't think he cares much about that. But his SC picks could be quite damaging. Still, if they haven't managed to do away with abortion, even when the country is very divided over it, the chance for reversing this decisions is much lower, given widespread popular support for marriage equality.

I don't think he will be against anything that has overwhelming support of the American People such as gay marriage
I think a high approval rating from the American people would fill his ego more then anything else.
This guy has been all about ratings
We shall see
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 10th, 2016 at 2:29:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
My brother, who is a preacher has been hearing people say that President DJT will repeal same sex marriages.
Why on earth would he do that? To win the election? He already won it.
November 10th, 2016 at 3:00:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
He cannot do so, just scare-mongering from bigots on the left.

SCOTUS said there was an equal right. So what would have to happen would be the court would have to have several new members. This will happen of course. Then states would have to come up with some kind of "new marriage" open only to heterosexuals. This is almost totally unlikely. Then people have to embrace it to the point it replaces "marriage." Then there has to be the entire lawsuit thing again.

So why do gay activists push this? Probably because with social equality achieved they are much like a new retired guy who gets up and does not have to go to work then says, "now what?"
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2016 at 5:31:57 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
I sure hope so!
we need to get things baack to normal around here.................
November 11th, 2016 at 12:29:01 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
He cannot do so, just scare-mongering from bigots on the left.

SCOTUS said there was an equal right. So what would have to happen would be the court would have to have several new members. This will happen of course. Then states would have to come up with some kind of "new marriage" open only to heterosexuals. This is almost totally unlikely. Then people have to embrace it to the point it replaces "marriage." Then there has to be the entire lawsuit thing again.

So why do gay activists push this? Probably because with social equality achieved they are much like a new retired guy who gets up and does not have to go to work then says, "now what?"

Wow--so the people who want to end discrimination against gays (and others) are actually "bigots"? You might want to run down to Barnes and Noble and spring for a dictionary.

The fear is justified--it's a lot more than "scare-mongering." The Court essentially said that states could not invalidate the right of two consenting adults to marry. Their premise was that that right existed regardless of what the states said. One or several states could, however, sue to have their rights to bigotry, er, anti-gay discriminatory practices restored. A conservative Court could well grant such a petition, essentially returning to the pre-2016 status quo--something that would be very appealing to conservatives, since living in the past (and/or trying to return to it) is the essence of conservatism (as is preventing the unworthy from having civil rights).

The problem is that Supreme Court decisions aren't chiseled in stone. Groups that have been the targets of widespread discrimination in the past aren't naive enough to think that their rights can't be taken away again. After all. look how we've just recently regressed to the pre-Civil Rights era, in ideology at least.
November 11th, 2016 at 12:31:13 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: YeahBaby
I sure hope so!

Yep. It all went to hell when we took the chains off the darkies. Then we let the bitches vote...and before we knew it, there were taco trucks everywhere. Thank God we've elected a new Messiah who will Grope America Again!
November 11th, 2016 at 2:14:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: stinkingliberal
Wow--so the people who want to end discrimination against gays (and others) are actually "bigots"? You might want to run down to Barnes and Noble and spring for a dictionary.

Gays called me a bigot because I did not share their view that we should not redefine marriage to their view. There was no discrimination of gays to marry. They had to marry someone of the opposite sex, like anyone else. So since I am a bigot for not sharing their view then they are by definition a bigot for not sharing mine. And gays are basically the most intolerant group to those who do not share their views, so save it.

Quote:
One or several states could, however, sue to have their rights to bigotry, er, anti-gay discriminatory practices restored.

The problem is that Supreme Court decisions aren't chiseled in stone. Groups that have been the targets of widespread discrimination in the past aren't naive enough to think that their rights can't be taken away again. After all. look how we've just recently regressed to the pre-Civil Rights era, in ideology at least.

Sue on what basis? When you lose a court battle you cannot just say you want to try again. You have to have grounds. What grounds do you see?
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2016 at 5:11:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: YeahBaby
I sure hope so!

From a man who spends so much time practically fellating Donald Trump, this is surprising to hear!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 1 of 71234>Last »