The Epic Rant Thread

Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »
October 27th, 2016 at 4:42:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Been reading this but busy to reply. Reminds me of a gig last summer. Carpool dealer I was with manages a dental office, the kind where they specialize in implants, the kind I will need soon. Very soon. Seriously, Face, beginning to we are part the same person living in some kind of parallel universe.

Back to the point, the point of having to be careful of the dental industry. We were working a monster party many miles away. Host said hang out for the fireworks if we liked. You read that right, fireworks in a back yard. Somehow fellow side-hustle dealer meets a dentist, kind that does only implants. Guy practices somewhere in Ohio. Guy tells us about how the Aspen Dentals of the world can work.

Seems they will on occasion tell people in their 20s that all their teeth need ripped out and need to be replaced with implants. Yeah, people that young. You have to figure the "need" matches well with their insurance and ability to pay! Me, I dropped $12,000 about 9 years back, which helped put me in the tailspin that moved me back in with family. Now the uppers are near destroyed, I see another $10K in the future.

Add it all up. Braces, fillings, root canals, the rest over the years. Probably should have just had them ripped out and replaced as a teen.
The President is a fink.
October 27th, 2016 at 5:27:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My dad had horrible teeth. He got
similar news as you and said screw it,
he had them all pulled wore dentures.
He loved them, said it was the best
thing he ever did. He was in his 40's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2016 at 5:39:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You can double check on this next bit of money saving info -- my dentist told me you can go without crowns, it's just that you need to be careful. Can't go chomping on hard nuts or ice. And of course you have to brush like a good boy or the tooth decay will destroy the work they did.

The material they use before the crown is just not very durable, but it will work if you can be careful. You eventually want to get the crowns though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 28th, 2016 at 1:56:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
you wanna go 'stupid boy' ? How about this? I naturally have good teeth but went around eating candy like crazy as a kid [mostly can't stand the stuff now, probably from making myself sick eating it]. Cavities galore, mouth is now full of fillings. Back in my day the dentists drilled out giant holes too, not this minimal stuff they do now. Good teeth destroyed. I've got a bunch of crowns, never know which tooth will be next. Had one back molar pulled with no replacement, just gone, to save money. Currently am considering doing the same with one a little more strategically situated, but the original plan was implant, crown. Long story but setbacks have me looking at more cost, $2500 now looking like $3500. Yes, one tooth here we are talking about.

Dumb kid and his candy - halloween favorite holiday, extorting a big bag of candy, looting without paying a price, can't beat it! Or so I thought, now, big regrets.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 28th, 2016 at 10:07:47 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Instant Smile" to the rescue!:

They show it on TV. It has to be good...right?

October 28th, 2016 at 12:56:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, check out the Mexico tooth fix'n factories. This one gets decent ratings and is one of the bigger ones.

I am considering going here.

http://sanidentalgroup.com/

P.S. I hope you called your son and told him to start brushing and flossing multiple times a day.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 28th, 2016 at 2:23:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
and flossing multiple times a day.

New evidence is showing flossing does
more harm than good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 28th, 2016 at 2:51:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
New evidence is showing flossing does
more harm than good.

I only heard there weren't proper studies done. (surprising a lot of dentists I think).

That is practically like finding out no one actually studied whether soap gets your hands clean.

But I hadn't heard anything else about it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 22nd, 2016 at 2:41:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Btw, I asked my dentist about the two teeth that normally have crowns. They are the front-most teeth of my back teeth. Of the teeth in the back, they are the lowest priority, but they have been doing fine for about a year and a half.

He still asked if I wanted to go ahead with the crowns, but said I didn't have to as long as everything seems alright.
November 22nd, 2016 at 3:12:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
I only heard there weren't proper studies done. (surprising a lot of dentists I think).
Its a question of evidence based medicine. Are there studies? Can you ethically recruit someone for a study that involves NOT flossing? How famous will a scientist become if he proves that flossing is good.... most people will yawn. Which journal will rush to publish such a study?
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »