Mexican bingo? Online Bingo? Greek to me.

Page 2 of 3<123>
September 27th, 2016 at 6:27:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The latest data is nomina del pago del feriado in Juarez

Two Gerentes, one supervisor .. each doing eight to ten grand,
several corredors and one HOOSTES (sic) who only did 200.00.

I'm beginning to think its a physical bingo game set up, not sure.
September 27th, 2016 at 9:27:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
The latest data is nomina del pago del feriado in Juarez

Two Gerentes, one supervisor .. each doing eight to ten grand,
several corredors and one HOOSTES (sic) who only did 200.00.

I'm beginning to think its a physical bingo game set up, not sure.

Is there some names, because it sounds like a list of people who paid for government mandated holidays.

Those top level people if they are eight to ten grand in pesos per day that is a salary over $100K per year in dollars.
Your runners and hostesses are only paid $10 per day, so presumably they make money in tips.

Mexican holidays
Christmas Day, New Years, Workers day (10 May), Constitution day (5 Feb), President Benito Juarez's birth (21 March) , Revolution day(20 Nov), Independence Day (16 Sep), Presidential election day every 6 years, and days determined by local laws.
September 28th, 2016 at 2:37:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
These appear to be reports for a two week period and it appears that each name gets a checkmark once or twice during that time.

Feriado??
September 28th, 2016 at 10:29:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
These appear to be reports for a two week period and it appears that each name gets a checkmark once or twice during that time.

Feriado??

The English word "holiday" is from Old English, but the word "fair" is from Latin
holiday 1500s, earlier haliday (c. 1200), from Old English haligdæg "holy day" from halig "holy" + dæg "day" (see day);

In Spanish a "feria" is a "fair", but a "feriado" is better translated as a "holiday". But it more literally means a "fair day".
September 28th, 2016 at 10:57:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In Spanish a "feria" is a "fair",

It can also mean "small change."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2016 at 11:49:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
It can also mean "small change."

The word "feria" has a long definition in the dictionary. I wonder how it got the sense of change attached to the word? It sounds like a taxi fare in English, but that is not even a Latin word. It comes from the Old English fær .

Quote: Dictionary of Academy of Spanish

feria Del lat. feria.
1. f. Mercado de mayor importancia que el común, en paraje público y días señalados.
2. f. Fiestas que se celebran con ocasión de una feria (‖ mercado).
3. f. Paraje público en que están expuestos los animales, géneros o cosas para su venta. Voy a la feria. En la feria hay mucha gente.
4. f. Concurrencia de gente en una feria (‖ paraje público para exponer géneros a la venta).
5. f. Conjunto de instalaciones recreativas, como carruseles, circos, casetas de tiro al blanco, etc., y de puestos de venta de dulces y de chucherías, que, con ocasión de determinadas fiestas, se montan en las poblaciones.
6. f. Instalación donde se exponen los productos de un solo ramo industrial o comercial, como libros, muebles, juguetes, etc., para su promoción y venta.
7. f. En el lenguaje eclesiástico, cualquiera de los días de la semana, excepto el sábado y domingo; p. ej., la segunda feria es el lunes; la tercera, el martes, etc.
8. f. Descanso y suspensión del trabajo.
9. f. Trato, convenio.
10. f. C. Rica. p. us. Añadidura, pequeño obsequio hecho por el vendedor a su cliente.
11. f. coloq. El Salv. y Méx. dinero (‖ moneda corriente).
12. f. Méx. y Nic. Dinero menudo, cambio.
13. f. pl. p. us. Dádivas o agasajos que se hacen por el tiempo en que hay ferias en algún lugar. Dar ferias.
feria de muestras
1. f. Instalación donde, con periodicidad determinada, se exponen máquinas, herramientas, vehículos, aparatos y otros productos industriales o de comercio, para promover su conocimiento y venta.
ferias mayores
1. f. pl. ferias de Semana Santa.
de feria
1. loc. adv. coloq. C. Rica. además.
irle a alguien como en feria
1. loc. verb. Méx. Irle muy mal.
revolver la feria
1. loc. verb. coloq. Causar disturbios, alborotar.
2. loc. verb. coloq. Descomponer un negocio en que otros entienden.
y la feria
1. expr. El Salv. U. para indicar una parte pequeña que se ignora o no se quiere decir. Cinco colones y la feria.
September 29th, 2016 at 10:27:53 AM permalink
Nareed
The word "feria" has a long definition in the dictionary.

I've this theory that older words accumulate more secondary meanings over time. Also new things tend to be described in familiar terms, which tends to add meanings to older words.

Take a short and relatively recent example, the word "telephone." As we all learn in elementary school, the word is derived for the Greek (Latin??) words for "distance" and "sound." This makes eminent sense for a device that allows you to speak over a distance. Now it also means "tiny computer with a touch screen and a web/cellular connection," and sound is only a part of what it can do (ever a decreasing part as far as talking goes), though the distance component remains.

But go back to as recently as 1990 and show someone a smart phone without telling them what it is. I'm sure if you remove the phone and contact apps from the home screen, it will take them time to learn it's a phone. On the other hand, go back as far as any period where dial phones were common, show them a modern landline phone, and they'll easily guess what it is (though they probably wouldn't be able to work it as easily).

And we still call both devices by the same name: phone.
October 8th, 2016 at 4:11:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Take a short and relatively recent example, the word "telephone." As we all learn in elementary school, the word is derived for the Greek (Latin??) words for "distance" and "sound." This makes eminent sense for a device that allows you to speak over a distance.

"Tele" is a Greek word that was passed on to Latin, so both are correct.

In the 4 decades before Alexander Graham used the word to describe his new invention in 1876, the word telephone was used for a type of foghorn that permitted ship to ship communication, and an elaborate system that played musical tones that signified letters invented by Jean-François Sudré (1787-1862). Neither system worked very well so the word was available.

I've this theory that older words accumulate more secondary meanings over time. Also new things tend to be described in familiar terms, which tends to add meanings to older words.

And many times the new meaning completely wipes out the old one
stereotype
1798 ~ "printed by means of a solid plate of type"
1850 ~ "image perpetuated without change"
1922 ~ "preconceived and oversimplified notion of characteristics typical of a person or group"

The 2nd most commonly used verb in English is "have" which is a word that is well over a thousand years old and has accumulated multiple meanings over the years. It's a word that my Spanish teacher complained about a lot in particular in sentences "I had a good time".

1. (to possess) tener My parents have a home, a car, and three beautiful children.Mis padres tienen una casa, un carro y tres hijos bellos.
2. (to suffer) tener How do I know if my child has an infection?¿Cómo sé si mi hijo tiene una infección?
3. (to give birth to) tener My college roommate had a baby last week.Mi compañera de cuarto de la universidad tuvo un bebé la semana pasada.
4. (to experience) pasar I had the worst time trying to quit smoking.Lo pasé muy mal cuando estaba tratando de dejar de fumar.
5. (to consume) tomar I would like to have mashed potatoes with my steak.Me gustaría tomar puré de patatas con el filete.
6. (to receive) recibir We had a lot of presents last Christmas.Recibimos muchos regalos las Navidades pasadas.
7. (to allow) permitir won't have this mess under my roof!¡No permitiré este caos bajo mi techo!
8. (causative use) no direct translation I had my shirt cleaned at the laundry. Me lavaron la camisa en la lavandería.
AUXILIARY VERB
9. (used in perfect tenses) haber: You haven't been here before.No has estado aquí antes.
10. (to be obliged to) tener que : I have to go to work tomorrow.Tengo que ir al trabajo mañana.
October 10th, 2016 at 6:10:51 AM permalink
Nareed
The 2nd most commonly used verb in English is "have" which is a word that is well over a thousand years old and has accumulated multiple meanings over the years. It's a word that my Spanish teacher complained about a lot in particular in sentences "I had a good time".

I find I have some sympathy for that position.

I don't know if English is unique in repurposing older words and in having meaningless words like "do" all over the place. That meaningless do is very hard for some people to comprehend.
October 10th, 2016 at 6:31:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Have a good time and Do have a good time have different meanings.
Page 2 of 3<123>