Secualrism vs Religion

Page 3 of 4<1234>
August 16th, 2016 at 12:39:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Could you trust anything I told you? Wouldn't an atheist send you to the worst possible places in town, and maybe get kickbacks for doing so?

Many of the most trustworthy people I know do not believe in God. I trust you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 16th, 2016 at 12:42:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
But not accepting Jesus as your personal savior (whatever the hell that means) and not doing something about your original sin lands you in Hell, doesn't it?

No it does not. God is not bound to only way to save any of us. Living a good life according to your conscience and striving to love and care for others is a Heavensent way to live.

Quote:
Do you think I care to make more money for wealthy people? That's their affair, not mine. Certainly it's not my responsibility. The thing is that I get paid from what the company makes, therefore I do my bit to see that it makes something.

No I don't think you or most workers want to make money for wealthy people to get richer. They do want to make their company or business successful. However, maybe more important than all of this is they want to feel they are contributing to society and making something or a difference.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 16th, 2016 at 4:19:32 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: FrGamble
No it does not. God is not bound to only way to save any of us. Living a good life according to your conscience and striving to love and care for others is a Heavensent way to live.

Jesus saith to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one doth come unto the Father, if not through me; John 14:6.

Did Jesus not tell the truth then?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 16th, 2016 at 6:49:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: TheCesspit
Jesus saith to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one doth come unto the Father, if not through me; John 14:6.

Did Jesus not tell the truth then?

Of course He did. Everyone's salvation depends on Jesus Christ. However, God is not limited and saves those who through no fault of their own don't know Him or believe in Him.
August 16th, 2016 at 7:50:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Of course He did. Everyone's salvation depends on Jesus Christ. However, God is not limited and saves those who through no fault of their own don't know Him or believe in Him.

I admit it: it's my "fault."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 16th, 2016 at 8:15:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
I admit it: it's my "fault."

I wouldn't be so quick to judge, I know God is not.
August 16th, 2016 at 10:46:13 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

The two facts are at odds. JC said he is the way to the father. Your saying God will save you without knowledge of JC. Makes little sense to me.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 17th, 2016 at 6:24:31 AM permalink
Nareed
I wouldn't be so quick to judge, I know God is not.

There's a CSI episode where an expert on the defense team argues the timeline on a murder is wrong, based on erroneous data on the time it takes a certain kind of fly to hatch. He contravenes all known data on it, but has the empirical data, in the form of an experiment, to back it up.

Gil Grissom determines the expert's experiment was rigged, by means of having used an insecticide on the pig carcass on which he carried out the experiment. He testifies to this in court and proves it beyond doubt. The defense team expert is arrested as Grissom exits the courtroom.

That last is silly TV drama, but it sets up a scene where the expert, in handcuffs and being led away, angrily tells Grissom "This is all your fault!"

You'd expect Grissom to come up with a TV cliché about just doing my job, or holding truth to serve justice. Instead Grissom looks squarely at him and says "I hope so."

What Grissom does is take the credit for a thoroughly moral act, with pride, as well he should.

So as to your remark that:
Quote:
However, God is not limited and saves those who through no fault of their own don't know Him or believe in Him.

I still admit it: It's my "fault."

If I shouldn't be too quick to judge, then it's because your god, his son and their invisible friend offer nothing of value and demand far too much in return.
August 17th, 2016 at 7:48:35 AM permalink
Nareed
The two facts are at odds. JC said he is the way to the father. Your saying God will save you without knowledge of JC.

Did he say he's the only way to his incestuous little family?

Remember when Rome coopted Christianity, it gave it a full Roman makeover. The Romans were famously legalistic and litigious. Many of the early church councils, as well as the preceding and succeeding massacres of their fellow Christians, were entirely devoted to legal definitions of the trinity. Tiny iota and all that.
August 17th, 2016 at 9:34:03 AM permalink
FrGamble
The two facts are at odds. JC said he is the way to the father. Your saying God will save you without knowledge of JC. Makes little sense to me.

JC is the only way to the Father and yes God can save you without knowledge of JC. God's Mercy is beyond our paltry understanding.
Page 3 of 4<1234>