Corporate Death Watch

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
May 19th, 2016 at 4:34:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Sports Authority could not find a buyer and will close all its stores. 450 stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/companies/sports-authority-closing/

I am shocked that any specialty retailer can stay in business.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 19th, 2016 at 4:43:18 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Sports Authority could not find a buyer and will close all its stores. 450 stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/companies/sports-authority-closing/

Never really gave them any business
I have browsed and thought their stuff was priced a bit high
Only thing they carry that I was somewhat interested in is camping supplies and bicycle stuff.
I would look at clothing and really seemed priced high.
Camping supplies I go to Walmart.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 19th, 2016 at 5:54:37 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: terapined
Never really gave them any business
I have browsed and thought their stuff was priced a bit high
Only thing they carry that I was somewhat interested in is camping supplies and bicycle stuff.
I would look at clothing and really seemed priced high.
Camping supplies I go to Walmart.

Amazon and big box retailing is eating up the mid-sized specialty chains too. Where are all these jobs going?
May 19th, 2016 at 6:31:48 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I used My Yahoo for news and stories and things, until it sucked.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 19th, 2016 at 6:58:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Ayecarumba
Amazon and big box retailing is eating up the mid-sized specialty chains too. Where are all these jobs going?

We have more consumption, more goods
than ever in the marketplace, and less
people involved with making and selling
them. Efficiency is killing us. Walmart has
a huge inventory but the majority of it
is online. They want you to buy online,
no people involved, no shoplifting, no
employees stealing cash.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2016 at 2:37:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Specialty is hard to do anymore because of the broad stock of slower selling stuff you need to carry. Probably room for 1 maybe 2 in each category and after that what is the point. Room for Barnes and Noble because sometimes you need or want to carry a book out with you. But no need for more than one big guy, after that one the little bookstore is just fine.

As to the jobs, good question. Retail is already overbuilt. Small, local, specialty, is what seems to have a future.
The President is a fink.
June 15th, 2016 at 2:55:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Not a "death watch" but Fiat-Chrysler America is in more dire straits than may appear. Their CEO is on the hunt for someone, anyone, to merge or partner with. They dropped the requirement that Fiats be in their own showroom. Soon they will make no cars in the USA. trucks and SUVs only, any cars will come from Mexico.

Not that they have much car equity in the first place. A few niche Dodges letting people relive 1968-71. The smaller cars are just forgettable. Fiat remains a niche, and a small one. Their minivan is doing well as are the pick-up trucks. Jeep is on fire.

Who would they merge with? A Chinese maker is logical, or perhaps Pugeot-Citroen. Nissan might make sense, though they have their hands full with Mitsubishi. Honda is not likely to want a partner not home-grown. GM would love Jeep and maybe the minivan, but the rest would wither.

Any thoughts?
The President is a fink.
June 15th, 2016 at 3:18:05 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
Not a "death watch" but Fiat-Chrysler America is in more dire straits than may appear. Their CEO is on the hunt for someone, anyone, to merge or partner with. They dropped the requirement that Fiats be in their own showroom. Soon they will make no cars in the USA. trucks and SUVs only, any cars will come from Mexico.

Not that they have much car equity in the first place. A few niche Dodges letting people relive 1968-71. The smaller cars are just forgettable. Fiat remains a niche, and a small one. Their minivan is doing well as are the pick-up trucks. Jeep is on fire.

Who would they merge with? A Chinese maker is logical, or perhaps Pugeot-Citroen. Nissan might make sense, though they have their hands full with Mitsubishi. Honda is not likely to want a partner not home-grown. GM would love Jeep and maybe the minivan, but the rest would wither.

Any thoughts?

What about electrics like Tesla or Faraday Future? Would re-tooling be more expensive than building ground up? Could they make a business out of swapping gas engines for their electrics in Fiat and Neon chassis?
June 15th, 2016 at 3:29:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
What about electrics like Tesla or Faraday Future? Would re-tooling be more expensive than building ground up? Could they make a business out of swapping gas engines for their electrics in Fiat and Neon chassis?

First would there be a market in the first place? Of course you could put electric motors in, but should you? The electric mandate in CA makes Fiat nearly unprofitable there. IMHO the minivan would be a better candidate, more mass to put a bigger battery.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2016 at 4:30:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Verizon may ditch Yahoo! deal.

Yahoo just can't catch a break it seems. Earlier this year there were claims the CEO biased reviews to favor women at the company. Now they get hacked so bad the last deal may fail. Destined to be a case study of catching the first wave and missing the second.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »