List of music artists you have seen live that have passed away

Page 4 of 4<1234
December 27th, 2016 at 8:49:04 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Great lists. I am regretful missing some of these when I had the chance, but none more that Stevie Ray Vaughn. I moved to Austin from Dallas in 1991 just after his death. I should have made an effort to see him. He played Dallas now and then and I went to Austin frequently when was here.

My list
- Queen (Freddie Mercury): My first concert. "We Will Rock You" was not yet a stadium cheer; it was an new hit song.
- Ray Charles: About 1983 in a DFW club on lower Grenville called Nicks Uptown.
- The Blues Brothers (John Belushi) : They toured in 1980 when the movie was out. This was no joke. That band was awesome.
- The Ramones (All four original members): Any DFW folks here remember the Agora? Base camp for my miss-spent youth.
- Sharon Jones: Saw her about two years ago when she was in remission. Her hair was still short from the chemo. I couldn't believe the energy she brought.
Gatemouth Brown: I caught him in the 80s in San Antonio at a place called Jake's Floodliner or something like that.
Clarence Clemons: With The Boss: 1985, Cotton Bowl. Got tix from a friend the day of the show. Came home and surprised my wife.

A few Texas artists for Zippy Boy
- Waylon Jennings: Do you remember Austin Aquafest?
- Townes Van Zandt: "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earl
- Guy Clark: Another Texas legend
- Steve Fromholz: Part of the Willie, Waylon outlaw country movement, but less well known.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 27th, 2016 at 9:57:08 PM permalink
zippyboy
Quote: JimRockford
Great lists. I am regretful missing some of these when I had the chance, but none more that Stevie Ray Vaughn. I moved to Austin from Dallas in 1991 just after his death. I should have made an effort to see him. He played Dallas now and then and I went to Austin frequently when was here.

A few Texas artists for Zippy Boy
- Waylon Jennings: Do you remember Austin Aquafest?

I went to Aquafest a few times before I left town in 1993. I remember seeing Three Dog Night there in 1991 or so.

Couple things about SRV maybe you didn't know. He lived in Lakeway. He was a skinny guy, but had these disproportionately massive hands. Hands so big that he could put thicker gauge strings in his guitars that gave his songs a unique tone no other guitarists could attain. He played with his eyes closed most of the time. Played behind his head, and behind his back, with eyes closed. He had such bad drinking and cocaine problems, that he had a work-around to allow him to play an entire concert without leaving the stage to go snort a line. He'd dissolve a gram of coke in his bottle of Crown Royal, keep it on stage and suck that bottle dry during the show. His bassist Tommy Shannon was just as bad; those two could match each other gram for gram. Chris "Whipper" Layton, the drummer, was a good straight friend and chaperone to those two. Later, when they added a keyboardist on their last album, that guy was waaaay on the outside, just an employee really.

Maybe you can fill me in on this next tidbit: when I left, Austin was considering changing name of Zilker Park to Stevie Ray Vaughan park. Did that happen? I know a lot of old ladies thought that was a terrible idea since SRV was such a druggie. But he did change his life around the last four years of his life, if you didn't know that.
December 28th, 2016 at 11:15:51 AM permalink
JimRockford
Thanks for the SRV stories. His death is all the more tragic because he seemed to have straightened himself out and found a renewed creative energy just before he died.

Zilker Park is still Zilker. They made a nice memorial and bronze statue for SRV at Auditorium Shores between the lake and the trail.

Some names that have changed since you left. Second street is now Willie Nelson Blvd. Town Lake is now Ladybird Lake and First Street is now Cesar Chavez.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 25th, 2017 at 10:43:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Wow, Butch Trucks passed away. 1st time I saw Butch live was with the Allman Brothers at Merriweather in the late 70's. Before that show, the Allman Brothers band had broke up. They finally got back together and the Merriweather show I attended was one of the first reunion shows. What a show. They were totally into it coming out for 3 encores while opening beers between encores. One of the best concerts I have ever see. RIP Butch

Here is a list in no particular order of all the musicians I have seen live and where that have passed away
Butch Trucks - Merriweather, Suwanee, Aberdeen Proving grounds
Sharon Jones - Spirit of the Suwanee
Leon Russell - Willie Nelson July 4th picnic in Austin
Rob Wasserman of Rat Dog various venues
Dan Hicks Suwanee
Levon Helm small festival in PG county MD
Rick Danko small festival PG county MD
John Kahn about 20 times with JGB
Keith Godchaux once, my 1st Dead show 1978
Brent Mydland Lots of times with the Dead
Jerry Garcia about 120 times all over the country
Vince Welnick lots of times with the Dead
Ritchie Havens Suwanee
John Hartford Merlefest
John Lee Hooker Chessapeake bay blues fest
BB King - Lyric Opera House Baltimore
Michael Houser of Widespread Merriweather Post
Vasser Clements Suwanee
Paul Kanter- Cap Center with Starship
Etta James - some music festival in Baltimore
Ray Manzarek - Amphitheater outside Tampa
Doc Watson - Merlefest
Bobby Womack- opened a Stones show I saw at cap center
Bobby Bland - opened for BB King, Lyric Opera house
Mark Vann - Leftover Salmon various festivals and concerts
Merl Saunders - Hilton Ballroom, Eugene OR
Ken Kesey - Eugene Or, small music festival replacing canceled Dead shows
John Entwistle- Who , Cap Center
Bill Monroe - DC Mall celebrating 1st Clinton Inauguaration
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 25th, 2017 at 4:22:39 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Wow, Butch Trucks passed away. 1st time I saw Butch live was with the Allman Brothers at Merriweather in the late 70's. Before that show, the Allman Brothers band had broke up. They finally got back together and the Merriweather show I attended was one of the first reunion shows. What a show. They were totally into it coming out for 3 encores while opening beers between encores. One of the best concerts I have ever see. RIP Butch

Here is a list in no particular order of all the musicians I have seen live and where that have passed away
Butch Trucks - Merriweather, Suwanee, Aberdeen Proving grounds
Sharon Jones - Spirit of the Suwanee
Leon Russell - Willie Nelson July 4th picnic in Austin
Rob Wasserman of Rat Dog various venues
Dan Hicks Suwanee
Levon Helm small festival in PG county MD
Rick Danko small festival PG county MD
John Kahn about 20 times with JGB
Keith Godchaux once, my 1st Dead show 1978
Brent Mydland Lots of times with the Dead
Jerry Garcia about 120 times all over the country
Vince Welnick lots of times with the Dead
Ritchie Havens Suwanee
John Hartford Merlefest
John Lee Hooker Chessapeake bay blues fest
BB King - Lyric Opera House Baltimore
Michael Houser of Widespread Merriweather Post
Vasser Clements Suwanee
Paul Kanter- Cap Center with Starship
Etta James - some music festival in Baltimore
Ray Manzarek - Amphitheater outside Tampa
Doc Watson - Merlefest
Bobby Womack- opened a Stones show I saw at cap center
Bobby Bland - opened for BB King, Lyric Opera house
Mark Vann - Leftover Salmon various festivals and concerts
Merl Saunders - Hilton Ballroom, Eugene OR
Ken Kesey - Eugene Or, small music festival replacing canceled Dead shows
John Entwistle- Who , Cap Center
Bill Monroe - DC Mall celebrating 1st Clinton Inauguaration
I'm totally impressed that you remember all those bands. Unless you kept some kind of diary. I wish I did. Emerson Lake and Palmer $3.50 general admission. Joe Cocker. Kind of a blur after that.
January 25th, 2017 at 4:47:35 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: pew
I'm totally impressed that you remember all those bands. Unless you kept some kind of diary. I wish I did. Emerson Lake and Palmer $3.50 general admission. Joe Cocker. Kind of a blur after that.

Audio tapes and posters
I'm a longtime deadhead that loves to audio tape
After Jerry passed away, I started branching out taping at music festivals and night clubs
I was pretty fanatic for a while.
A lot of soundboard guys knew me on sight would allow me to plug in and record off the board.
Also set up mic stands with mics high in the air.
Indoors always prefer the board, outside prefer mics.
I also did a lot of stealth recording.
Most of the people on my list, I have an audio tape of the concert I saw
I love buying music festival posters that list all the bands at the festival
I also have a good memory

One important thing, tapers tend not to get wasted at a show :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 26th, 2017 at 1:22:44 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The Deadheads are loyal as heck. I remember watching a Caps game out at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD (I am getting old...I remember when it was first built and now it has been gone for years). Walking out after the game one evening, the parking lot had already was beginning to fill with folks coming to see the Dead play over the coming nights.
Page 4 of 4<1234