List of music artists you have seen live that have passed away

Page 3 of 4<1234>
February 9th, 2016 at 4:50:55 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
Not sure I am up to an article on that night BBB or that I have enough memories of that night :-) One on my clearest memories of a song is Mercedes Benz. We went to a true (in a barn barndance) and camped that night in the hay meadow after the dance. I was up early in the morning for a pee and trying to clear my head and someone but on Janice doing Mercedes. It just filled the whole valley with her voice and somehow seemed magical.

Just do a Hunter S. Thompson report on it...stream of consciousness alternating with streams of unconsciousness.... :) If you remember that time, you didn't live in it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 9th, 2016 at 4:56:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Tammy Wynette and Victor Borge (he must have died by now).

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 6th, 2016 at 7:16:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKdxf3TMtI&feature=youtu.be
Juan Gabriel died of a heart attack at age 66 while on tour in California. He had over 30 albums and sold over 100 million copies.

It seems as if he had a big range of types of music. Most of what I listened to sounds kind of country when he was young, and seems to have developed into schmaltzy as he got older.

He seems to have a position in culture somewhat similar to Johnny Mathis.
November 13th, 2016 at 8:57:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I see Leon Russell passed away. I was a fan. First became aware of him through George Harrison's concert for Bangla Desh where he tore it up on Jumpin Jack Flash. Got to see him perform live twice. Out in Austin at one of Willie Nelsons July 4th picnic concert. Was there because the Dead were on the bill. Also caught him live up at the Suwannee Music Park at a Wanee festival. Rip Leon
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 21st, 2016 at 10:38:52 AM permalink
terapined
People upload concerts when an artist passes away
Been listening to live Leon
Listening to a wonderful show he did in a Tokyo nightclub covering Bruce Hornsby's The Way it is :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 21st, 2016 at 12:11:20 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I've seen Three Dog Night more than a few times over the years because I had a friend who worked with them. Cory Wells, who was one of the lead singers, passed as BBB mentioned. He was a very nice man; always nice to my family and I. Jimmy Greenspoon, the keyboardist, also passed last year. Another person who was very nice to us. Based on all the others in the R&R Hall of Fame already, TDN should be there...some grudges have kept them out.

Maynard Ferguson--fantastic trumpet player
Buddy Rich--that guy could flat out play
Dizzy Gillespie--saw him in a small club environment
Clarence Clemmons--loved seeing him with Springsteen
"Rocketman"--just some cool dude playing Keys music; not famous at all..."It Beats 40 Below"...
Glen Frey--glad I got to see the Eagles once...
Whitney Houston--what a voice
November 21st, 2016 at 12:26:50 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: RonC
I've seen Three Dog Night more than a few times over the years because I had a friend who worked with them. Cory Wells, who was one of the lead singers, passed as BBB mentioned. He was a very nice man; always nice to my family and I. Jimmy Greenspoon, the keyboardist, also passed last year. Another person who was very nice to us. Based on all the others in the R&R Hall of Fame already, TDN should be there...some grudges have kept them out.

"Rocketman"--just some cool dude playing Keys music; not famous at all..."It Beats 40 Below"...

I absolutely believe TDN should be in the R&R Hall of fame. The grudge R&R Hall has is that they were a vocal group that hired musicians. So what. Most of the pop hits in the late 60's out of the LA scene were recorded by the "wrecking crew" LA studio musicians. Brian Wilson wasn't working with the Beach Boys in the studio , he was working with the "wrecking crew" in the studio. Mike Love and the rest just recorded vocals when they got back from the road.

I also support the Monkees in the R&R Hall

Nice list. Have not seen anybody on your list live.
Clarence Clemmons sat in on several Jerry Garcia Band shows but I was not at those particular shows.
November 21st, 2016 at 1:41:35 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: terapined
I absolutely believe TDN should be in the R&R Hall of fame. The grudge R&R Hall has is that they were a vocal group that hired musicians. So what. Most of the pop hits in the late 60's out of the LA scene were recorded by the "wrecking crew" LA studio musicians. Brian Wilson wasn't working with the Beach Boys in the studio , he was working with the "wrecking crew" in the studio. Mike Love and the rest just recorded vocals when they got back from the road.

I also support the Monkees in the R&R Hall

Nice list. Have not seen anybody on your list live.
Clarence Clemmons sat in on several Jerry Garcia Band shows but I was not at those particular shows.

Our HS Band Director is one of the top saxophonists in Florida. Huge into jazz. He'd bring in some cats that were fantastic jazz musicians to hang with us for our classes and even play as part of our jazz ensemble concerts as guests. I started off a show at the University of Florida Jazz Fest with a bass trombone solo...just me...standing up in front of a thousand or so people...great times, great friends, and the opportunity to know some great music and musicians...
December 20th, 2016 at 7:16:33 PM permalink
ddloml
Threads: 1
Several different artists I remember seeing before they passed on...
Dave Brubeck a handful of times over many years - rarely missed a chance to see jazz history perform
Ella Fitzgerald late in her career - she could still bring it
Maynard Ferguson - he toured with a young band. He would just introduce the songs and play a few high notes now and then while the band did all the work.
Keith Emerson and Greg Lake on a tour in 2010 as a warmup for the last ELP show later that summer. Of course I saw the ELP trio several times over many years.
Chris Squire, the late bass player with Yes, dozens of times.
Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd. He also had a young band with him, but he played more than Maynard Ferguson.
Davy Jones (the Monkees) as a solo act
December 26th, 2016 at 7:20:02 AM permalink
RonC

A few updates...
George Michael--saw him early in the period after Wham! split and he became a solo artist
Glenn Hughes (the original Leatherman) of the Village People--they played at Disney World. It was the first time my high school love ever smelled marijuana and also the first time she saw men holding hands as couples. She was a little shocked (this was in the 70's) but closets were opening all over the place. Her brother's closet opened a few years later; he was way young at the time of the concert... Not sure if they are "artists" since it was a contrived band product, but they were fun!!
Page 3 of 4<1234>