Where is FrG?

January 23rd, 2016 at 1:54:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think you are very confused about this. In the case of inclement weather no one is you to denounce your faith in the second someone is taking away your freedom of religion. Are you suggesting the Archbishop command that everyone no matter the danger drive or walk through a blizzard to attend Mass? Or are you saying that the Archbishop is forcing people to give up their faith by suggesting no one go out in this dangerous mess for Mass? How is not attending Mass the same as renouncing your faith? Avoiding death is a high priority hence the suggestion. I feel a little silly engaging you in this because I know if you think about it a little more you will recognize your mistake here. Peace.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 23rd, 2016 at 5:51:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I feel a little silly engaging you in this because I know if you think about it a little more you will recognize your mistake here. Peace.

I fail to see how adopting your mistakes would be of any earthly help to me.

But then maybe that's just the point, isn't it?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 3rd, 2016 at 8:17:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Only one post from FrG since the weekend,
none yesterday. Has he retired?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:29:28 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: FrGamble
What I actually meant is that I am surprised so many atheists really want to read the Bible literally like a fundamentalist. I get that it might give them some low hanging fruit but it really seems disingenuous. Instead of actually dealing with what the vast majority of Jews and Christians believe and have believed for thousands of years lets nit pick about how many Jews escaped from Egypt. While we are at it lets talk about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

I don't mean to demean the necessary and important discussion of the historicity of the Exodus. While some people argue that the absence of evidence is positive proof that the entire story is false (an argument that if made by a theist would be roundly mocked). My concern is if we are not losing the forest to look at the trees. Here is a good video if you have a little more than an hour to spare about this issue. It is very fair and the most detailed archaeological discussion I think you can find on the internet. I guarantee if you hang in there you will learn something. Archaeology of Egypt as it relates to the Exodus

If we want to talk about the religious significance of the events then that is a good thread and could be a study of the Book of Exodus.

Please forgive the late response in this conversation, but you touch on something important and widely misunderstood, IMO. Refutation of the literal translation of the Bible is reactionary. The issue is, at least in America, that fundamentalists of every stripe claim the Bible is the literal truth. Ok, enjoy. I think it's mostly allegorical with some history mixed in, but whatever.

But they don't stop there; they insist on enacting laws, changing textbooks and classroom syllabi, censoring workplaces and public media of all types, a hundred other things from their faith they impose onto the secular public. TL;DR: THEY started this. And they continue to push that hegemonic theocracy at the expense of all the rest of us and our civil, secular rights. That's where my tolerance of other belief structures ends and my stubbornness begins.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:30:56 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Only one post from FrG since the weekend,
none yesterday. Has he retired?

He went to New Hampshire to work for Bernie Sanders for a while.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 14th, 2016 at 12:13:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Nothing from FrG in 4 days, has he retired
from public life? I sent him a link to a book
that proves the NT was written by Paul and
Paul's followers (and not by the followers
of Jesus) and that Paul made up 90% of
what is now modern Christianity. He hasn't
posted since. The truth hurts, I guess.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2016 at 1:45:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Didn't he post in the Clue thread that he's going to Los Angeles for a week or so?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 14th, 2016 at 1:46:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Didn't he post in the Clue thread that he's going to Los Angeles for a week or so?

I block all the Clue threads.
March 14th, 2016 at 2:17:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard

I suppose it's possible WiFi is more expensive in LA than in Vegas, but I find it hard to believe.

But, then again, I'm known for lacking faith. :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 15th, 2016 at 3:38:07 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
But they don't stop there; they insist on enacting laws, changing textbooks and classroom syllabi, censoring workplaces and public media of all types, a hundred other things from their faith they impose onto the secular public. TL;DR: THEY started this. And they continue to push that hegemonic theocracy at the expense of all the rest of us and our civil, secular rights. That's where my tolerance of other belief structures ends and my stubbornness begins.

I used to have a great deal of respect for the Amish who simply lived their lives and didn't go around compelling others to drive buggies or grow beards but then I learned of the incredible amount of compulsion and deceit that is involved. Even the Orthodox Jews in NYC forced the removal of bike lanes from their neighborhood due to the short shorts worn by female riders. Its not enough that Barbie now comes with a modest headdress the Rabid Islamics want every female looking out through a three inch veiled slit.