Simple question?

Thread Rating:

March 1st, 2016 at 9:25:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
If a parent wants to give their male child a female name, there is no law preventing it.

I'm sorry I must not have been too clear. I didn't mean individual personal names but rather using words like male and female to describe the difference between the genders.

Quote:
I'm not aware of laws that prohibit unisex bathrooms.

I'm not aware of any either. However, I do think there are laws prohibiting me from using a woman's restroom.

In both these cases I think we can both agree that we should call males and females by different words to respect their differences and also give them separate bathrooms. Respecting these differences is not being discriminatory or treating one or the other as unequal.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 1st, 2016 at 9:55:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
FrG, are you going to address the stats
about Catholics having more sex outside
of marriage than average Americans?

I know when I was in HS in the 60's, the
Catholic girls were the ones with the
'reputation' of being easy to get into
the sack. You'll say I'm lying, of course,
but that's the honest truth. The Church
telling them how bad it was just made
them want it more. A lot of women are
like that, you know.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2016 at 4:55:28 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
So really again the question becomes why don't we do things naturally. It is popular now a days to buy organic and reject things like processed foods ad GMO stuff. Yet we are okay in either using chemicals or implanted devices to mess with our bodies. Or in the case of a condom to put barriers up between us. Why don't we just use the natural cycles of a woman's body so that we have to include her in the conversation if we want to have sex and we have to respect her health, well being, and desire?

Answering a question with more questions:
Why is choosing artificial or natural in these cases a MORAL choice?

Barriers between us - for convenience. Sex with your wife whenever the two of you want, in particular DURING her fertile times, which for some women is a time when sex feels better. You can even see the evolutionary purpose for something like that.

Modern birth control didn't exist at the time of the bible, but condoms did. Since it isn't really talked about in the bible, and if you believe that people shouldn't have as many children as physically possible for a woman's entire fertile life, and it is ok to have sex with your wife without the intention of getting her pregnant, what is the moral objection to condoms?

As for implants and chemicals, what is the Church's position on
Hip replacement
Pacemakers
Antidepressant medication

As for respecting her health, well being, and desire, nowadays I believe the choice to go on "the pill" is hers, and she has evaluated for herself the risks and benefits, and as it has been pointed out before, there are more medical uses for the pill than just preventing pregnancy.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 2nd, 2016 at 5:09:45 AM permalink
Dalex64
I'm sorry I must not have been too clear. I didn't mean individual personal names but rather using words like male and female to describe the difference between the genders.

I'm not aware of any either. However, I do think there are laws prohibiting me from using a woman's restroom.

In both these cases I think we can both agree that we should call males and females by different words to respect their differences and also give them separate bathrooms. Respecting these differences is not being discriminatory or treating one or the other as unequal.

We have words for things which are different, such as men and women. Clearly this is not discriminatory. It different treatment which can be discriminatory.

I mentioned on another site that I don't think single sex bathrooms are necessary. Make the walls floor-to-ceiling, and put in doors that don't have cracks around them. Put the urinals behind a partition/around a corner.

My objection to single-sex bathrooms is purely selfish - since women have to use the stalls all the time, I might have to wait longer if I needed a stall.

I think our societal prohibition against bulk-scale unisex bathrooms is due to prudishness. We can deal with creepishness with better stalls, like I just mentioned. If men are flashing their junk to women in the bathroom, they should get prosecuted. Oddly, if women did it, they would likely be applauded.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:37:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So really again the question becomes why don't we do things naturally.

Because we don't live in caves where we eat what we can gather and kill with our bare hands.

Quote:
It is popular now a days to buy organic and reject things like processed foods ad GMO stuff.

It's not popular. It's trendy.

Do you know what's the only difference between organic and regular produce? Price.

Quote:
Yet we are okay in either using chemicals or implanted devices to mess with our bodies.

when you have a headache, do you take a pill for it or do you just ride it out? If you broke your hip, would you want a metal implant for it, or would you rather give up walking?

BTW, if you want to completely give up using chemicals that mess with your body, you'll have a short and very hungry life.

Quote:
Or in the case of a condom to put barriers up between us.

If you needed surgery, would you prefer the OR team not put barriers between you by eschewing gloves and surgical masks?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:39:19 AM permalink
Nareed
My objection to single-sex bathrooms is purely selfish - since women have to use the stalls all the time, I might have to wait longer if I needed a stall.

Mine too. Men think their aim is a lot better than it really is, and they're certain they'll die a horrible, painful death if they put the toilet seat down.
March 2nd, 2016 at 12:09:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

As for implants and chemicals, what is the Church's position on
Hip replacement
Pacemakers
Antidepressant medication

Isn't it a little scary to you that you are comparing pregnancy, something that happens when we are healthy, with serious injuries and illnesses? When something is broken or is not working correctly then we take the step of intervening with implants and chemicals, which always have side effects and consequences. Why in the world would we do that when everything is working great and just the way it is supposed to?!?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 2nd, 2016 at 12:38:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Isn't it a little scary to you that you are comparing pregnancy, something that happens when we are healthy, with serious injuries and illnesses?

One you're done experiencing periods for a few years, you should try a few pregnancies as well. But not just at any time, rather when you're in high school through college, then while you're trying to start a career, then while you're looking after your first born. Then tell me how healthy that is, and also how helpful it's been to your life and career.
March 2nd, 2016 at 12:45:55 PM permalink
Dalex64
Isn't it a little scary to you that you are comparing pregnancy, something that happens when we are healthy, with serious injuries and illnesses? When something is broken or is not working correctly then we take the step of intervening with implants and chemicals, which always have side effects and consequences. Why in the world would we do that when everything is working great and just the way it is supposed to?!?

I am responding to you painting with this very wide brush:

Quote:
Yet we are okay in either using chemicals or implanted devices to mess with our bodies.

I am also not equating pregnancy and illness. I am just pointed out that there are countless cases where we are ok with using chemicals or implanted devices to mess with our bodies.

The church is against breast implants except for reconstructive purposes, and hair dye, but they are ok with telling girls to keep their hair long and boys to keep their hair short. The church has decided for you how you are allowed and to what extent you may exercise your vanity.

The church is asserting that any means of preventing pregnancy that they don't agree with is IMMORAL, and it just so happens that the one method that they agree with could be called "natural." the whole natural vs unnatural ways of preventing pregnancy is really a red herring. they are justified after the fact.

so, I am drawing a parallel between hair length and hair dyes, and condoms and natural family planning. Both of them seem to be equally arbitrary to me.

except for the times that the popes have said condoms are ok:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/21/pope-benedict-condoms-hiv-infection

http://www.themonastery.org/blog/2016/02/pope-oks-condoms-to-combat-zika-virus/

and let's look at the reason that artificial birth control is immoral:

...opposition to "artificial birth control" on the basis that it would open a "wide and easy a road... towards conjugal infidelity and the general lowering of morality"

What about teaching people to be moral, rather than removing tools which have valid, valuable uses?

It is well known that the church policy against contraception led to unwanted pregnancies. Somehow, the good boys and girls decided that they would follow the prohibition against contraception, but not follow the prohibition against premarital or extramarital sex. results? unwanted pregnancies, spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

This is the gun control argument, too: guns are used to commit crimes by criminals so remove the guns.

condoms are used by immoral people for immoral purposes, so remove condoms.
March 2nd, 2016 at 1:31:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm noticing that FrG has yet to address
the stats that 90% of Catholic women
totally ignore the Church and use as
much birth control as they want. And stats
also show that Catholics are more likely
than average Americans to have sex outside
of marriage. The age old message of the
Church of chastity and birth control falls
on deaf ears in among it's own
congregation, apparently.

And what I said about Catholic girls being
'easy' in the 60's is still true today.

Study: Female Students More Promiscuous at Catholic Colleges

– "A new study concludes that women at Catholic colleges are more promiscuous than their peers at secular colleges, raising new alarms about the state of Catholic higher education...women attending colleges and universities affiliated with the Catholic Church are almost four times as likely to have participated in ‘hooking up’ compared to women at secular schools." (hooking up is slang for casual sex)

Holy crap, FOUR times as likely as those
evil secular schools. What the heck is going
on and why didn't I go to a Catholic college..

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/study-female-students-more-promiscuous-at-catholic-colleges
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.