Third Term Presidency

Page 3 of 4<1234>
November 17th, 2015 at 3:36:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I wish more people understood how well this represents reality.

I wonder if 1984 [which HRC said was her favorite book], and animal farm are still required reading in school?

As do I. I obviously am going to vote conservative, but I do not let things run or ruin my life. Too many people do. Some I have met it was plain scary. At to "1984" and "Animal Farm" I would hope so, maybe I will ask my sister-in-law who teaches HS English. FWIW "1984" was not required in my day but I read it on my own. We did read A.F. A.F. is actually really easy reading, and such a good lesson.

"Easiest way to keep a slave from fleeing is to make him think he is free."--wish I knew who said it.
The President is a fink.
November 17th, 2015 at 3:37:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Never read Animal Farm but loved 1984
It wasn't supposed to be an instruction manual : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 17th, 2015 at 3:49:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
I wonder if 1984 [which HRC said was her favorite book], and animal farm are still required reading in school?

Never read Animal Farm but loved 1984
The movie was filmed where the book took place in 1984 :-)
The movie stayed very true to the book :-)

In todays world, China reminds me of 1984 in how they monitor the internet

Never saw the movie, saw a made-for-TV "Animal Farm." WOFT. Maybe I will check 1984 movie one day. FWIW I liked "Animal Farm" better but they should be read as a set, a trilogy with "Brave New World." How well those guys saw the future is amazing.

"1984" is here as well, just crept so slow nobody noticed.
The President is a fink.
November 17th, 2015 at 3:59:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
I wish more people understood how well this represents reality.

As do I. I obviously am going to vote conservative, but I do not let things run or ruin my life. Too many people do. Some I have met it was plain scary. At to "1984" and "Animal Farm" I would hope so, maybe I will ask my sister-in-law who teaches HS English. FWIW "1984" was not required in my day but I read it on my own. We did read A.F. A.F. is actually really easy reading, and such a good lesson.

"Easiest way to keep a slave from fleeing is to make him think he is free."--wish I knew who said it.

The book which probably had a large effect on my understanding of how it all works was "None dare call it Conspiracy" [ surprise!], which I picked up in '73.

A few years later along came "None dare call it education".

Most people want nothing to do with it. I get that. It appears to me like it is every other generation?

Freedom isn't free. I voted independent until the last Presidential race. I decided not to vote anymore. Good luck. It is obvious to anyone with eyes that the dems don't represent labor.

I voted for the Gipper, and maybe one of the Bush's, and Palin for governor. I just decided the hell with voting between the lessor of evils.
November 17th, 2015 at 4:05:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petro
I just decided the hell with voting between the lessor of evils.

Welcome to the club, member since '98.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 17th, 2015 at 4:14:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman

The book which probably had a large effect on my understanding of how it all works was "None dare call it Conspiracy" [ surprise!], which I picked up in '73.

Read it at a young age, maybe junior high? My dad got it from some guy at work. I still find it mixed.

Quote:
Freedom isn't free. I voted independent until the last Presidential race. I decided not to vote anymore. Good luck. It is obvious to anyone with eyes that the dems don't represent labor.

I started noticing this early in the Clinton years. I never understood why unions push for more and more social programs and labor standards when they are trying to sell their members on having these things for their dues. If the GOP puts up an establishment guy like they have been they do not get my vote, I will just not vote POTUS.
The President is a fink.
November 17th, 2015 at 4:18:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Congressman Murtha won 8 elections in a row by a wide margin, and then nobody put up opposition for the 9th election. He couldn't raise any money running against nobody. Then a local dentist ran against him for the 20th election and predictably got killed. Then Murtha ran unopposed for the 12th election. Finally the dentist ran against Murth for 4 out of 5 of the next elections while never improving. Finally Murtha ran unopposed for the 17th election.

The came the 'Murthquake'in a mid-November afternoon in 2005 when he went public with his skepticism about the course of the Iraq War.
"The war in Iraq is not going as advertised," he declared in a speech. "It is a flawed policy wrapped in illusion. The American public is way ahead of us. The United States and coalition troops have done all they can in Iraq, but it is time for a change in direction. Our military is suffering. The future of our country is at risk. We can not continue on the present course."

In coming out against President Bush, especially given his military credentials, the Republicans mounted serious, but ultimately ineffectual, campaigns against him during his final two elections (#18 and #19). Rep. John Murtha died from gall bladder surgery before he ran for his 20th election.

Quote: Wizard
I don't think we disagree but I just didn't like the "machinery" comment.

Well perhaps it is too strong a word. I always wondered why a dentist would run against one of the most powerful congressmen in the country a total of five times, just to get killed each time. But in looking at campaign finances, I realized that Murtha got huge benefit from having some kind of opposition. He was free to give his campaign contributions to other Democrats. In fact he made contributions to his opponent just to keep him in the race.

Hillary seems to benefit from having opposition, otherwise she vanishes into this morass of charges and countercharges by Republicans. I think she may give O'Malley a position if she wins.

Republicans must defend 24 seats, compared with only 10 for Democrats.

114th Congress (2015-2017)
Majority Party: Republican (54 seats)
Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)
Other Parties: 2 Independents (both caucus with the Democrats)

Bernie Sanders won the Senate race in 2012 with (71%) of the vote, so he is around for two more years as a senator even if he withdraws from the race. He will probably win another 6 year term at the age of 77.
November 17th, 2015 at 4:54:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Somebody ask if Animal Farm was still being assigned in school. One of my kids had to read Animal Farm for middle school. Maybe both of them.

Quote: Pacomartin
I always wondered why a dentist would run against one of the most powerful congressmen in the country a total of five times, just to get killed each time.

I'd be happy to run just for fun of running. Currently I live in Crescent Hardy's district in Nevada, which is very evenly split, so no hope there.

When I lived in Baltimore I lived in the 7th Congressional District, represented by Elijah Cummings, which was Democratic by a huge margin. There always seemed to be some ordinary white guy running for the Republican party. Their debates were actually the most civil I ever saw, as both parties knew who was going to win and the debates were just a formality.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 17th, 2015 at 4:59:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Somebody ask if Animal Farm was still being assigned in school. One of my kids had to read Animal Farm for middle school. Maybe both of them.
That's good to hear, thanks.
November 17th, 2015 at 5:49:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman

I see a teacher on Thanksgiving or before, will advise.

Quote:
When I lived in Baltimore I lived in the 7th Congressional District, represented by Elijah Cummings, which was Democratic by a huge margin. There always seemed to be some ordinary white guy running for the Republican party. Their debates were actually the most civil I ever saw, as both parties knew who was going to win and the debates were just a formality.

"The West Wing" touched on this in one episode, talked how someone paid the registration fee in nickels or something. TWW greeked reality so something like it might have happened.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>