November 12th, 2015 at 4:33:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Quote: AZDuffman

This is a good thing
These things need to be discussed out in the open
The Asian woman made some good points
Some in the crowd obviously did not want to hear what she said.
This article is a good thing. It makes those with closed minds look bad.
Some minds are closed on all sides. Its unfortunate.
Some are not :-)
another quote from the article AZ missed

"A few “safe space” participants told their peers to let the young woman talk. “Let her finish,” someone suggested."

The USA in on a good path.
Go USA, Greatest country on the planet even with out faults.

So, you are willing to discuss a "safe space" for the white kids as well?

As to "greatest country" I am done waving the #1 foam finger. I see what is happening here. It is often known as "balkanization." I also see the goal being to make colleges unwelcoming to anyone who does not buy into all of this. Meanwhile administrators on campus cave in time and time again to protect their nice condos and Lexuses. No wonder so many grads are saddled with debt and cannot get employment, good education has been forgotten.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2015 at 4:53:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

This is a good thing
These things need to be discussed out in the open
The Asian woman made some good points
Some in the crowd obviously did not want to hear what she said.
This article is a good thing. It makes those with closed minds look bad.
Some minds are closed on all sides. Its unfortunate.
Some are not :-)
another quote from the article AZ missed

"A few “safe space” participants told their peers to let the young woman talk. “Let her finish,” someone suggested."

The USA in on a good path.
Go USA, Greatest country on the planet even with out faults.

So, you are willing to discuss a "safe space" for the white kids as well?

Not sure I would support the protestors
I support their right to protest.
Also enjoyed what the Asian Woman had to say
I appreciate that some wanted to hear what she was saying.
More would be better but some is good

This is a great country because their are a variety of views and we discuss them.

The admns caved in because they sold out to big time college sports and the millions it produces.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 12th, 2015 at 5:19:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Not sure I would support the protestors
I support their right to protest.

I am fine with the right to protest as well. Except I am also reading the tea leaves as to where this is all going. And I do not see it going in a good direction. These students cannot handle reality so they want the college to protect them from it. When they hit the real world they will be unable to function. Meanwhile, this has the potential to go violent on-campus in the next few years. I am not totally sold that it will, but I rate it as "questionable" to use the NFL term for 25-75%.

Quote:
The admns caved in because they sold out to big time college sports and the millions it produces.

IMHO not as much as you think. We are not talking about Notre Dame here. Yale had a similar cave and sports are not big money there.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2015 at 5:42:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Yale had a similar cave and sports are not big money there.
What they can't do on the field, they make up for in other areas.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 12th, 2015 at 5:47:18 PM permalink
terapined
I These students cannot handle reality so they want the college to protect them from it. When they hit the real world they will be unable to function. Meanwhile, this has the potential to go violent on-campus in the next few years. I am not totally sold that it will, but I rate it as "questionable" to use the NFL term for 25-75%.
IMHO not as much as you think. We are not talking about Notre Dame here. Yale had a similar cave and sports are not big money there.

I think students today can handle reality. Students today handle reality as well as any past classes.
I think most students will function fine in life. No more or less then past classes
Violence?
I just don't see it.

No its not Notre Dame but the next game is a huge deal
Its not played at a campus college town as most games are.
Its a showcase game in a NFL stadium in a big city. They do this just once a year.
Arrowhead Stadium. Kansas City. Its for the Money, TV, prestige, donors, alumni ect.
I have no doubt the University President resigned due to a potential football team boycott of this game

What happened at Yale?
I have fond memories of that campus.
My father was earning his doctorate their while I was a little kid
Still remember the Ivy.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 13th, 2015 at 3:02:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I think students today can handle reality. Students today handle reality as well as any past classes.
I think most students will function fine in life. No more or less then past classes

I, however, do not. Demands to not be "offended." Demands for "safe places." Speech codes. Racial quota demands. Demmand for a prof to postpone a test because of what was happening on campus. Fear "after what 'happened in Ferguson.'" None of this happens in the real world. They demand and get it on campus, well they are the customers. And colleges are full of liberal profs and admin that share many of their views. But when they hit the real world they will get a rude awakening as the see how things really are.

Quote:
Violence? I just don't see it.

I must ask why not? I see it because I am just looking at history and natural progression. OWS and Black Lives Matter are both similar movements that have already had violence and on a regular basis are getting more and more radical in their demonstrations and rhetoric. OWS has faded, but BLM is picking up steam.

Quote:
What happened at Yale?

They decided to tell adults how to and not to dress for Halloween. You can follow the link and google for all the details. But once again, adults crying because someone dressed as a Mexican or something for Halloween? Get over it!
I have fond memories of that campus.

Quote:
My father was earning his doctorate their while I was a little kid
Still remember the Ivy.

Was only thru it briefly once after stopping at a classic burger joint for lunch. It was far less of that old college look that I expected. Enjoy the memories because their past will be better than the future if the past few weeks are an indication of how they run the place.
The President is a fink.
November 13th, 2015 at 6:34:08 AM permalink
terapined
I, however, do not. Demands to not be "offended." Demands for "safe places." Speech codes. Racial quota demands. Demmand for a prof to postpone a test because of what was happening on campus. Fear "after what 'happened in Ferguson.'" None of this happens in the real world. They demand and get it on campus, well they are the customers. And colleges are full of liberal profs and admin that share many of their views. But when they hit the real world they will get a rude awakening as the see how things really are..

All these students will function quite fine in the real world.
Outspoken rallies and protests have been going on for generations on college campuses.

I must ask why not? I see it because I am just looking at history and natural progression. OWS and Black Lives Matter are both similar movements that have already had violence and on a regular basis are getting more and more radical in their demonstrations and rhetoric. OWS has faded, but BLM is picking up steam...

Its not the late 60's or early 70's when the USA was fighting an extremely unpopular war where Americans were losing their lives overseas for really no valid reason.
The reaction to the protests back then was to bring soldiers onto campus (National Guard)
The atmosphere on campus today is not close to the atmosphere of what happened at Kent State.

They decided to tell adults how to and not to dress for Halloween. You can follow the link and google for all the details. But once again, adults crying because someone dressed as a Mexican or something for Halloween? Get over it!.

Its really much ado about nothing
The email had no real authority. Some people are over sensitive. I simply ignore those people and move on
Its a kids holiday.
Just ignore the email dress as you wish if you are into that kind of thing as an adult.
I ignore emails all the time. Its meaningless.
November 13th, 2015 at 3:06:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
All these students will function quite fine in the real world.
Outspoken rallies and protests have been going on for generations on college campuses.

Time will tell. We are already hearing about how so many millennials are living with parents, saddled with student debt, and are unemployed or stuck in low-wage, dead-end jobs. Clearly today's grads are not functioning as well as you imagine they are.

Quote:

The atmosphere on campus today is not close to the atmosphere of what happened at Kent State.

Not yet, and I did not say it was at this time. I am saying we are well on our way. People like to think of the 1960s as a time of "peaceful demonstrations." The reality is it was a time of riots and rising crime rates.

Quote:

The email had no real authority. Some people are over sensitive. I simply ignore those people and move on
Its a kids holiday.
Just ignore the email dress as you wish if you are into that kind of thing as an adult.
I ignore emails all the time. Its meaningless.

You can ignore it, but let a student "get offended." They are told to call the police! As far as Yale goes, let a student claim "racism" and see what happens to the accused. The mere fact that a college puts out such an email shows the place is pathetic. Whatever happened to telling the "offended" person to man-up and get over it?

You can keep claiming all is well. Few in 1850 thought a Civil War would hit the USA. Few in 1980 thought the USSR would collapse a decade later. Few in 1935 saw the rise of fascist regimes in Europe that would almost conquer the continent. But if one looked at what was going on it could be seen. I see a 20+ year progression of this on campuses and now see some critical mass forming. Hold on for the ride!
The President is a fink.
November 13th, 2015 at 4:30:08 PM permalink
terapined
Time will tell. We are already hearing about how so many millennials are living with parents, saddled with student debt, and are unemployed or stuck in low-wage, dead-end jobs. Clearly today's grads are not functioning as well as you imagine they are.

Life sometimes isn't a rose garden
Some people struggle as young adults to make it in life
shrug

You can ignore it, but let a student "get offended." They are told to call the police! As far as Yale goes, let a student claim "racism" and see what happens to the accused. The mere fact that a college puts out such an email shows the place is pathetic. Whatever happened to telling the "offended" person to man-up and get over it?

Protest, counter protest.
Things get heated
Police always want to be present. Standard operating procedure for safety.
shrug
The email is pathetic. Would have clicked delete and moved on.
shrug
November 13th, 2015 at 4:42:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Protest, counter protest.
Things get heated
Police always want to be present. Standard operating procedure for safety.
shrug
The email is pathetic. Would have clicked delete and moved on.
shrug

*sigh* you just refuse to see the bigger picture. Isn't a matter of "what you would do" but a matter of what is happening out there.

I'm done here. Thread blocked.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>