Missouri Football

Page 1 of 3123>
November 9th, 2015 at 5:22:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The protests on this campus went on for months demanding University Tim Wolf to resign due to how he handles problems of racism on campus.
Tim Wolf held firm
The Missouri football decides to join the protest by refusing to practice and play their next game
Student athletes vs the University Administration.
How much do these players make in this multi million dollar revenue sport for the University
Not Much, room, board, education.
If they decide not to play, they are not giving up much.
How much is at stake for the University, Millions of dollars.
After months of protests, the football team joins the protest, 2 days Tim Wolf resigns
Wow.
No doubt a University President resigned because a football team demanded it.
Every college football and basketball team in the country is watching this.
The NCAA makes millions, maybe billions.
But the players of MO just showed who has real power.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 9th, 2015 at 5:51:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It is just the latest in the pampered generation demanding things on campus. It is also more of the problems I keep saying are coming to our society in the 2020s. This is just a latest albeit big step along the way.

They are demanding he admit his "white privilege." These groups get off on getting a "scalp" for their efforts. Then the same old "diversity and tolerance" promises. The question is where does this end up? I see it getting way, way worse.
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2015 at 6:11:19 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
It is just the latest in the pampered generation demanding things on campus. It is also more of the problems I keep saying are coming to our society in the 2020s. This is just a latest albeit big step along the way.

They are demanding he admit his "white privilege." These groups get off on getting a "scalp" for their efforts. Then the same old "diversity and tolerance" promises. The question is where does this end up? I see it getting way, way worse.

I think its kind of sad that you view this situation as " I see it getting way, way worse"
This is good because Universities have lost sight of their main objective, to educate.
I look at this situation from a different angle
Universities should be in the education business
Education is mission number 1.
If say a small time high school football demanded a principal to resign
It will probably no nowhere. Forfeit the game. so what.
But Universities find themselves in the multi-million dollar sports business. Education in no longer the main mission.
The highest paid state employees are generally football and basketball coaches, not Governors or University Presidents.
A University cannot afford to forfeit a game.
The University President resigned because playing a football game is more important then his job.
University Presidents have put themselves in a position where they have no choice but listen to a team because they placed sports and the millions it produces over education.
Its Karma
Its a good thing AZ
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 9th, 2015 at 6:36:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
I think its kind of sad that you view this situation as " I see it getting way, way worse"
This is good because Universities have lost sight of their main objective, to educate.
I look at this situation from a different angle
Universities should be in the education business
Education is mission number 1.
If say a small time high school football demanded a principal to resign
It will probably no nowhere. Forfeit the game. so what.
But Universities find themselves in the multi-million dollar sports business. Education in no longer the main mission.
The highest paid state employees are generally football and basketball coaches, not Governors or University Presidents.
A University cannot afford to forfeit a game.
The University President resigned because playing a football game is more important then his job.
University Presidents have put themselves in a position where they have no choice but listen to a team because they placed sports and the millions it produces over education.
Its Karma
Its a good thing AZ

We are looking at it from two different angles. First, I agree colleges have mostly given up on education as their business. It is why I am with Mike Rowe and education in the trades. Additionally, I agree that sports, at least football and basketball, have become outsized in importance in so many Division I schools. I have said it before, screw the NCAA, just make the schools a sort-of junior pros. Pay the players and let then develop their skills while their bodies mature from teens to adults. Treat the players like any other university employee who gets free or nominal cost education. Let the rest be interns, unpaid.

However, I am not looking at the outsized football program, I am looking at the social unrest thing. Students are demanding more and more not to be "offended." We used to joke more about this, but it gets more and more serious. Yale had a dozen or more employees inputting on allowable Halloween costumes after student complaints for crying out loud. At this campus, it was yet again some kind of racial justice thing.

Speech codes, "triggers," and the PC culture are making college campuses more and more unlike the real world. This has been the case for years, but it keeps getting worse. These kids will eventually leave college and head into a world that is less likely to cave in to their nonsense. Meanwhile, more and more protests will happen.

Violence at this point IMHO is merely a matter of time. Culture shifts like this in the USA have almost always been violent.
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2015 at 7:07:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It was a badly handled leadership problem that was completely avoidable. He deserved to be fired.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 9th, 2015 at 7:10:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I am just happy to see an athletic program contribute something significant.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 10th, 2015 at 3:13:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It seems to me that the Media, even, are having a hard time explaining what led to this. I was trying to glean some facts from the article I am linking to and am coming away feeling uninformed. Seems that the school was close to Ferguson and the students wanted to be in the middle of all the protests while the university administration did not. Meanwhile various regrettable incidents took place by individuals; the students felt the responses were lame. Wolfe reacted badly when the homecoming parade was disrupted by protesters getting in front of his car in the parade. That seems to be it [this sentence reflects an attitude similar to the one that got Wolfe in trouble, no doubt]

These were the demands made in October, according to the article:

Quote:
... Wolfe apologize to the homecoming parade demonstrators and be removed from his post... increasing black faculty and staff; mandatory racial awareness and inclusion curriculum for all staff, faculty and students; and additional funding and resources for mental health professionals, particularly those of color, to boost campus programming and outreach to students.

I've decided I do not want to attend the University of Missouri LOL

One thing about this I have decided is absolutely delicious is that the disgusting fact the colleges have allowed themselves to be totally corrupted by the money coming in from the athletic programs has led to this newly discovered vulnerability.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/09/the-incidents-that-led-to-the-university-of-missouri-presidents-resignation/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_missresignation-1124am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 10th, 2015 at 7:26:45 AM permalink
terapined
I see Eric Bolling of Foxnews weighed in
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eric-bolling-mizzou-fox-news-the-five_56414557e4b0411d30724f90

He would have gotten rid of the players. So what if they lose all their games.
He simply does get it.
Its about MONEY
MONEY
Their next game was scheduled at huge Arrowhead Stadium.
Its scheduled there because of money.
The only reason this game is not played on a College campus stadium is because of MONEY
A huge stadium sold out is about money.
If Eric Bolling was in charge and replaced all the players
No way Arrowhead sell out a obviously a blowout 75 to 0 score game.
The players are not the problem
The Universities addicted to big money from college athletics is the problem
November 12th, 2015 at 3:29:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
November 12th, 2015 at 4:18:10 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman

This is a good thing
These things need to be discussed out in the open
The Asian woman made some good points
Some in the crowd obviously did not want to hear what she said.
This article is a good thing. It makes those with closed minds look bad.
Some minds are closed on all sides. Its unfortunate.
Some are not :-)
another quote from the article AZ missed

"A few “safe space” participants told their peers to let the young woman talk. “Let her finish,” someone suggested."

The USA in on a good path.
Go USA, Greatest country on the planet even with out faults.
Page 1 of 3123>