Yet another aviation thread.

March 1st, 2018 at 6:48:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
This seems so very wrong, I can't take it seriously. I'd like to know what the source is.

It's in dozens of places
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/nma-image4.jpg

A wider aisle in a narrow body would be nice, if the airlines can keep from gobbling up the space for more seats. i don't think FAA rules would allow a 4-3 seating configuration in economy.

You have to crawl over no more than 2 seats to get to an aisle. Hence a 3-5-3 is the most number of seats you can put abreast in a dual aisle configuration

I don't know if you can build a Delta wing with 26 rows of 3-5-3

Quote: Ongoing debate Single vs Dual aisle MOM configuration

09 MARCH, 2017
Airbus, while agreeing that Boeing needs a clean-sheet aircraft in the middle-of-the-market segment, thinks a twin-aisle aircraft is the wrong idea.

“Light [twin-aisles] will never compete with a good single-aisle stretched airplane,” says John Leahy, chief operating officer for customers at the European airframer, at ISTAT. “Aerodynamically and physically, the widebody will just have more weight and more drag for the loads that you're carrying.”

He points to the Airbus A310 and the 767-200 as examples of small twin-aisles that never met expectations.

At least one fleet manager at a major airline scoffs at Leahy’s comments, saying that a clean-sheet twin-aisle with today’s composite and engine technology could certainly achieve the economics of a narrowbody.“There’s a lot of medium-sized aircraft demand, you’ve just got to get the economics right,” they say.
March 2nd, 2018 at 6:58:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

I still don't see it happening. What would keep an airline from using the added space for seats?

Quote:
You have to crawl over no more than 2 seats to get to an aisle. Hence a 3-5-3 is the most number of seats you can put abreast in a dual aisle configuration

Thanks.

Still, rules can be changed. Probably not this one, but you never know.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2018 at 12:33:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Still, rules can be changed. Probably not this one, but you never know.

I can't imagine getting more than 11 abreast in an airplane.
March 2nd, 2018 at 1:39:16 PM permalink
Nareed
I can't imagine getting more than 11 abreast in an airplane.

I grant you'd need a wider plane. Or the double deck seats Airbus once proposed.

The question is whether the 787 will go to 10 abreast, following the densification lead of the 777. I don't think there's room, but with modern airline economics, one just never can tell. Like AA removing seatback screens.
March 7th, 2018 at 11:54:43 AM permalink
Nareed
United managed to piss off their employees by substituting quarterly $300 bonuses with a lottery.

The way the aviation blogs reports it, most employees were elegible for a $300 bonus every three months if certain operational goals were met. as these were met more often than not, employees could count on an extra $1,200 a year on top of their salary. Under the lottery most will get nothing (that's NOTHING), while a few will get more substantial prizes, including cash, vacations, cars, and one lucky winner will get $100,000.

This is a cost-cutting measure, as these prizes would cost United less than the bonuses which were paid previously.

Note to United: from now on do absolutely NOTHING at all, until Delta tries it first.
March 14th, 2018 at 9:34:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Unofficial announcement that Emirates will have a flight from Barcelona to Mexico City this year. Yes, that's a 5th freedom flight.

On other news, United seems to have a quota of dead dogs to reach.
March 14th, 2018 at 11:02:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Unofficial announcement that Emirates will have a flight from Barcelona to Mexico City this year. Yes, that's a 5th freedom flight.

I predicted Barcelona to Mexico City would be targeted as a 5th freedom flight back in 2014 (either by Singapore Air or Emirates).

They seem to be targeting secondary airports in Europe (Milan, Athens, Barcelona). Since Mexico City only has nonstop flights to seven European hubs (from all airlines) they seem more vulnerable.

Currently Aeroméxico can only get 20% of the traffic share to Spain
Share of passenger traffic between Mexico and Spain of each scheduled service air carrier Jul 2014
40% Iberia
22% Pullmantur
20% Aeroméxico
16% Air Europa
2% Evelop Airlines

Now Singapore Air is flying to Barcelona and then on to Sao Paolo in Brazil. Presumably, they will consider doing that to Mexico as well.
March 29th, 2018 at 10:03:53 AM permalink
Nareed
So Qantas did as promised (threatened?) and flew a 787-9 non-stop from Perth to London.

Yawn.

Yes, there are many firsts involved, but, really, it's nothing special. not any more. There are longer flights, and if you want to get to Sydney you still have another 4 hour or so flight ahead of you. If anything it points to the growing trend for ultra-long haul flights.

Personally, I would rather not spend 17+ hours in an economy seat. Even in a business class seat, it's hard to see how such long confinement could be pleasant.

It's when you see things like this that the failure of the Concorde to gain any significant market share becomes relevant. Had Concord succeeded, it would have been followed by 1) second-generation SSTs and 2) competing SSTs from other manufacturers.

Physics and chemistry being the same for all, no way you could fly Perth-London non-stop in a third generation SST. But perhaps by now it would be doable with one stop rather than two, and in under six hours.
March 29th, 2018 at 10:56:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
So Qantas did as promised (threatened?) and flew a 787-9 non-stop from Perth to London. Yawn.

The Qantas Dreamliner actually begins in Melbourne so it is 22:50 to London and 21:40 returning to Melbourne. Qantas cancelled their A380 from Melbourne to London via Dubai. The advantage is that you don't have to leave the country on the way there so you can nestle into your chair so that your muscles lock up. Of course, Emirates replaced the A380 flight from Dubai to Melbourne which works as a code share with Qantas.

It is unlikely that people flying from Sydney or Brisbane will try and connect in Perth to take this flight.

The freed up Qantas A380 will be used for flights to Sydney and Hong Kong, but flight times will change throughout the year as the traffic is seasonal.

March 29th, 2018 at 11:40:19 AM permalink
Nareed
The Qantas Dreamliner actually begins in Melbourne so it is 22:50 to London and 21:40 returning to Melbourne.

And most people buy such tickets voluntarily :)

Mex City to Monterrey is about 10 hours by car. I made that journey with my family many times, and I hated every minute of it. But even so there were several stops along the way for gas and restroom breaks, once for lunch, etc.

Monterrey to san Antonio is about 5 hours more. one time the family attempted to drive San Antonio to Mex City the same day. that's 15 hours, plus time at the border, plus stops, call it 17 hours at least. That's how lucky I was to have skipped that trip.