Canada changes Government

Page 2 of 3<123>
October 20th, 2015 at 5:04:49 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
One of the few issues I have flipped on.

I can't think of a single person I still know that's anti, and half my friends and most of my hockey team are LEO's in one form or another.

Got a good friend on the team this year. Musician. Pothead. Came to the game carrying and stunk up the whole locker room. The Fuzz made their joking comments, and then went into politics and positions. Not a single one is for criminalization, both from a personal and professional stand point. Said the retired Trooper "I ain't never responded to a domestic and found a stoner there waiting."

Another friend, CO. Smokes all the time. Not "pothead", as he doesn't go about his public day on the nod, but when home doing yardwork or out fishing, sure. It does make you "dumb", but it's temporary. The functioning smokers I know, you couldn't tell them from the straights. Very much a "you are what you repeatedly do" type of thing. Spend all day every day in the clouds, you're more likely to be a dude-bro that talks like a young Keanu Reeves.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 20th, 2015 at 5:13:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Canada
Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state .

That should be good enough. A queen is
a queen..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2015 at 5:25:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I can't think of a single person I still know that's anti, and half my friends and most of my hockey team are LEO's in one form or another.

LEO?

Quote:
Another friend, CO. Smokes all the time. Not "pothead", as he doesn't go about his public day on the nod, but when home doing yardwork or out fishing, sure. It does make you "dumb", but it's temporary. The functioning smokers I know, you couldn't tell them from the straights. Very much a "you are what you repeatedly do" type of thing. Spend all day every day in the clouds, you're more likely to be a dude-bro that talks like a young Keanu Reeves.

On this I am still not so sure, just seen too many people too, well, dopey from it. You keep using chemicals to trip your brain, sooner or later the circuits (should) not reset as perfect. Pot for one stays in the system a long time, why it shows up on drug tests. If it trips a drug test, something is in your system and will keep affecting you. Now, the people I knew may be exceptions, or just heavy users. The one I mention was a very heavy user, probably really needed rehab as he was a drunk as well. I just ain't ready to say it is as safe as NORML says it is.

Even if it is legal, I would still be in favor of drug testing welfare cases as well as people in sensitive jobs like train engineer or air traffic controller, effectively banning them from it. Call that inconsistent if anyone likes, my reason is as above.
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2015 at 8:05:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
One of the few issues I have flipped on. Still conflicted as I have seen pot turn at least one really smart guy into a total lump. Guy seriously dropped a class he had an "A" in because it was too far to walk across campus. Pothead professor when you talked to him, he was also smart but just a bit slow to deal with, though not as bad as the aforesaid guy. But I see it turning the cops into a domestic military. Gangbangers will probably not have near the power without the dope money. Maybe I could buy lye in the hardware store again.

Hmmm, but is it the government's job to stop people doing stupid things? They allow smoking, beer conception and a whole bundle of things that are harmful - excessive consumption of sugar, not taking out health insurance, etc, and so on. It comes down to a general view: what is the role of government?

Personally, it's on my list of important government issues. On page 37 with 'how much to spend on paper clips in the ministry of fisheries' and 'policies to combat racoons on the forces bases'. It's a cause people get behind, but if you legalize it or not, just be consistent with the rest of your policies. I'll freely admit many of the Pot Legalization crew are completely upside down on this... wanting pot legal, but government interference in a whole host of other things.

Quote:
People give Americans a hard time on the "bubble" thing, but they forget that the USA is still by far the most important nation in the world. When POTUS visits a small country, it is remembered for generations. Say POTUS and PMOC visit Belize. Which is going to have 10Xs the reception? I forget the Brit who was PM and it said he was hopping the Concorde to visit IIRC Clinton. Sorry, world, you do not compare.

POTUS. The PMOC is unimportant outside Canada... and even inside Canada a lot of the time. You'd have to wonder about any country who got excited about the PMOC visiting. Except maybe Brazil. There's some very interesting economic similarities between the two countries.

I would note that China's leader is probably a close second importance.

The PM was probably John Major.... he was known for being the grey man of politics, and completely unexceptional. A reaction to Maggie Thatcher.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 21st, 2015 at 9:13:13 PM permalink
Face
LEO?

Law Enforcement Officer. Troopers, sheriffs, small town officers and chief, corrections... I think my mom is the only person I know that's openly against it, but even she has mellowed much.

Quote: AZD
On this I am still not so sure, just seen too many people too, well, dopey from it.

I won't argue that, I just don't think it's my business. Good friend of mine smokes. Think he's about 54 now. President of his own company that he built from the ground up. Def a six figure earner. Thinking about it, I know a lot of successful smokers. Granted, I know a lot of burnouts, too, but I suspect both would be successful / an idiot regardless of pot.

And I know I personally am far more brain damaged than any amount of pot could produce, and I had half my family cheering me on as I did (and still do) it. It just doesn't make much sense. Then you add in the War on Drugs kerfuffle, and there goes your ball game.

I would agree about safety sensitive positions, but would prefer it be able to be done as accurately as, say, alcohol. A regular smoker is gonna build up the cannabinoids, which take up to 30 days to clear. But the effects of pot are pretty much gone after a bowl of cereal and a nap. Just because someone blazed on Thanksgiving shouldn't mean they still can't drive the truck come Christmas.
October 22nd, 2015 at 2:48:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Law Enforcement Officer. Troopers, sheriffs, small town officers and chief, corrections... I think my mom is the only person I know that's openly against it, but even she has mellowed much.

Crap, I knew that. Somehow missed the context.

Quote:
I won't argue that, I just don't think it's my business. Good friend of mine smokes. Think he's about 54 now. President of his own company that he built from the ground up. Def a six figure earner. Thinking about it, I know a lot of successful smokers. Granted, I know a lot of burnouts, too, but I suspect both would be successful / an idiot regardless of pot.

I hear what you are saying, but as I said I take the side that tripping your brain over and over cannot be a good thing. Like breaking the tow rating on a truck. Each individual time you think you got away with it, but each time the transmission gets just a little more excess wear. One day it all fails.

But again, I don't care much anymore. I'm getting into the gardening thing, so I would be among the first to try to cultivate it for profit if I had any social aptitude to move it, which I do not. Been offered to get high more than once but didn't get that I was being offered, just thought people were discussing the issue.
The President is a fink.
October 22nd, 2015 at 8:59:10 AM permalink
Face

I hear what you are saying, but as I said I take the side that tripping your brain over and over cannot be a good thing. Like breaking the tow rating on a truck. Each individual time you think you got away with it, but each time the transmission gets just a little more excess wear. One day it all fails.

I don't necessarily disagree. Again, I guess I just don't care. Because really, playing football from age 7 to 17 does far more brain damage than smoking every day from 20 to 80. Ditto that for welders, gas pumpers, painters, myriad sports...

Quote: AZD
But again, I don't care much anymore. I'm getting into the gardening thing, so I would be among the first to try to cultivate it for profit if I had any social aptitude to move it, which I do not. Been offered to get high more than once but didn't get that I was being offered, just thought people were discussing the issue.

Should it become widely legal I doubt you'd have difficulty moving it. I'm not joking when I say there's a lot of smokers about. You could sell it at a roadside lemonade type stand and probably move the entire harvest within a day; certainly within the week. I'm just at a loss seeing the profitability angle. The vast majority of the profit margin is due to its illegality.
October 22nd, 2015 at 3:17:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Should it become widely legal I doubt you'd have difficulty moving it. I'm not joking when I say there's a lot of smokers about. You could sell it at a roadside lemonade type stand and probably move the entire harvest within a day; certainly within the week. I'm just at a loss seeing the profitability angle. The vast majority of the profit margin is due to its illegality.

I don't see it becoming roadside stand legal. I agree profitability crashes. My angle would be a pure, unlaced product. Blue Sky Pot if you will. Sell to lazy college kids spending daddy's money.
The President is a fink.
October 22nd, 2015 at 3:38:00 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I see it becoming Colorado legal all across Canada in a year or two with legal dispensaries and less risk as our banking system will permit normal transactions. I see border crossings becoming an issue which is why, as a frequent crosser, I would not partake.

Trudeau also has some anti-war promises. He will cease air operations over Syria. He will allow 25,000 Syrian refugees into Canada. He will reverse some laws that were seen as being racially biased. So, there are changes to come that will affect our relationship, our dollar, our impressions.

The US's largest trading partner is Canada and vice versa, so we are not some meaningless speck.
October 22nd, 2015 at 4:41:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
The US's largest trading partner is Canada and vice versa, so we are not some meaningless speck.

I think the US trades more with California than with any other foreign country (she said with a straight face)

;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 3<123>