Uber?

Page 79 of 81« First<767778798081>
October 9th, 2019 at 11:58:19 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Thanks, will keep that in mind when I go there just before the Dead and Company west coast tour in Dec
Is it a shorter walk?

No, the walk is just about the same. The only difference is that you do not need to go up the elevator.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 27th, 2019 at 12:08:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
about how tipping really works.”
List analyzed 40 million UberX trips across the United States in August and September 2017, along with co-authors Bharat Chandar at Stanford University, Uri Gneezy, at UC San Diego, and Ian Muir, the head of economics at Lyft.
“These findings slay the conventional wisdom about tipping,” List told me. “We thought that if we added tipping, the quality of service might go up,” he said. “But it turns out, the quality of the service isn’t very predictive of the tip.”
The paper has three big conclusions. First, most people don’t tip their drivers. Nearly 60 percent of Uber riders never leave a gratuity. Only 1 percent of people always tip.
Second, most tips have little to do with the driver. It’s mostly about the rider. Men tip 23 percent more than women. Tips tend to be higher for airport and business trips, because people are generous when paying with other people's money—especially when those people are the boss. Trips in small cities get higher tips. Same with early-morning and weekend-evening drives. In all, “rider-side effects”—the gender of the riders, where they were picked up, how long the trip was, and whether they were routine tippers—explain three times more of the tipping variance than the qualities of the driver or the drive itself.
Third, even when the characteristics of the driver do matter, they’re often characteristics that driver can’t control. Women get higher tips than men, and younger women get the highest tips. (Men tipping younger women accounts for most of the difference between male and female tips.)
After all of these dynamics are taken into account, the actual service finally comes into play. Highly rated drivers get the most tips, and so do new cars and smooth rides. Using “telematics data” from drivers’ phones to detect hard accelerations and hard brakes, the researchers concluded that riders left smaller tips after herky-jerky drives. “The quality of the drive does seem to affect the tip,” List said. “It just matters way less than all these [other] factors.”
The notion that tips are a reward for excellent service is, then, a fallacy. And that fallacy reflects some very American ideas about motivation and money.

The story is in The Atlantic if you want to find it
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 27th, 2019 at 1:04:16 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
about how tipping really works.”
List analyzed 40 million UberX trips across the United States in August and September 2017, along with co-authors Bharat Chandar at Stanford University, Uri Gneezy, at UC San Diego, and Ian Muir, the head of economics at Lyft.
“These findings slay the conventional wisdom about tipping,” List told me. “We thought that if we added tipping, the quality of service might go up,” he said. “But it turns out, the quality of the service isn’t very predictive of the tip.”
The paper has three big conclusions. First, most people don’t tip their drivers. Nearly 60 percent of Uber riders never leave a gratuity. Only 1 percent of people always tip.
Second, most tips have little to do with the driver. It’s mostly about the rider. Men tip 23 percent more than women. Tips tend to be higher for airport and business trips, because people are generous when paying with other people's money—especially when those people are the boss. Trips in small cities get higher tips. Same with early-morning and weekend-evening drives. In all, “rider-side effects”—the gender of the riders, where they were picked up, how long the trip was, and whether they were routine tippers—explain three times more of the tipping variance than the qualities of the driver or the drive itself.
Third, even when the characteristics of the driver do matter, they’re often characteristics that driver can’t control. Women get higher tips than men, and younger women get the highest tips. (Men tipping younger women accounts for most of the difference between male and female tips.)
After all of these dynamics are taken into account, the actual service finally comes into play. Highly rated drivers get the most tips, and so do new cars and smooth rides. Using “telematics data” from drivers’ phones to detect hard accelerations and hard brakes, the researchers concluded that riders left smaller tips after herky-jerky drives. “The quality of the drive does seem to affect the tip,” List said. “It just matters way less than all these [other] factors.”
The notion that tips are a reward for excellent service is, then, a fallacy. And that fallacy reflects some very American ideas about motivation and money.

The story is in The Atlantic if you want to find it

So pretty much confirming what most people suspect?

People who tip will pretty much always tip regardless of service. And, people who never tip will never tip regardless of service?

The level of service seems minimal if any in influencing tips, it depends on the customer's philosophy.
October 27th, 2019 at 1:35:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Men tip 23 percent more than women.

This is constant yet should be surprising. Women are far more likely to have waited tables, or had some other job where tips matter. Yet men almost always tip better.
The President is a fink.
October 27th, 2019 at 1:49:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
This is constant yet should be surprising. Women are far more likely to have waited tables, or had some other job where tips matter. Yet men almost always tip better.

Men are more likely to tip for many social reasons, status. When, men are with women they tend to tip even better.

Females tend to be more frugal and not care about the status of leaving tips.

Also, (and this is more anecdotal), when men are together (and drinking), they tend to have have more contests (where everyone tries to out tip each other).
October 27th, 2019 at 2:12:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler

Females tend to be more frugal and not care about the status of leaving tips.).

A couple seasons ago Seinfeld had
Sarah Jessica Parker on his coffee
show. When the bill came and he
paid it, she grabbed it to see how
much he tipped. She almost had
a heart attack. Seinfeld typically
tips 3 times what the bill is because
he can afford it and he wants people
to like seeing him come in.

Parker was appalled and said it's
a good thing they weren't married.
What a cheap bitch..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2019 at 2:18:48 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob

What a cheap bitch..

I usually only tip $1 or $2.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 27th, 2019 at 2:33:50 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Staying around convention center in Orlando. Call for Uber to take me to Boathouse restaurant right by Disney. Asks me if I'll accept ride without exact price. I click on ok, figuring I really had no choice even if I get 'surged'. So car comes, and I see on its map a 400 mile ride. Apparently I clicked on a Boathouse restaurant in Georgia or South Carolina. The driver only spoke Spanish. Luckily I was able to stop him before he started. He couldn't figure out how to cancel the trip. He couldn't change to where I wanted to go. I had to get out and call a new one. I'm sure I'll be charged a few dollars.
October 27th, 2019 at 2:54:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

What a cheap bitch..

Any guy should be be glad she is married to someone else.

Tom Leykis often mentions women are cheap with their own money like that. It it is possible a woman in a marital or dating situation gets upset because she feels the big tip should be spent on her not some unknown waitress.
The President is a fink.
October 28th, 2019 at 12:45:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
This is a complete misrepresentation. I think your dislike of strong women is clouding your memory.

Just watched the episode in question.

I just watched that part again.
They argue about how much
to leave, and she eventually
say's $20. She then picks up
the pile of money Seinfeld
put down and says it's vulgar
and disgusting and it's a good
thing they aren't married.
Way to get it totally wrong.

In other ep's Seinfeld says he
typically leaves a tip of 3 times
the bill amount. If it's $25 he
leaves $100.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 79 of 81« First<767778798081>