Uber?

July 25th, 2018 at 5:55:21 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
I've had plenty of Uber and Taxi rides and have found the professionalism of Uber drivers orders of magnitude better. Hail a cab in Vegas and you'll likely get somebody from Somalia who speaks no English and doesn't know where anything is off the Strip. The other possibility is a seasoned pro who will try to cheat you one way or the other.

The unequivocal beauty of UBER is that the client and driver have shared goals. They want to get to the destination as quickly and safely as possible. In a regular metered cab, it is possible the driver has a different goal, hence the phrase 'long haul'.
My last two UBER trips to and from the airport were prompt and professional, and less than half what a metered cab would have been.
July 25th, 2018 at 7:12:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
As long as Uber's computers remove any other motives I guess you are correct but recently an Uber driver was livestreaming video AND audio without his passengers knowledge or consent. It was not illegal to do so but people were giving their names and destinations and had suspicion they were in "cab confessions' without any forms or releases.
July 25th, 2018 at 8:26:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Advice
Might want to take a picture of the back seat when leaving the car
Been hearing about the Uber vomit scam
Uber driver claims rider vomited
Uber hits up the credit card for cleanup fees and sends the money to the driver
Driver hopes rider does not notice extra fees or fails to complain about bogus charge
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 25th, 2018 at 12:07:15 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Advice
Might want to take a picture of the back seat when leaving the car
Been hearing about the Uber vomit scam
Uber driver claims rider vomited
Uber hits up the credit card for cleanup fees and sends the money to the driver
Driver hopes rider does not notice extra fees or fails to complain about bogus charge

Interesting. I am assuming that the UBER scammer would be smart enough to only attempt to target young drunkards who might not remember their ride. I have no such worries.
August 3rd, 2018 at 4:02:07 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Quote: ams288
I took a Lyft to the bus stop when I took a Chicago trip last weekend.

The driver had an NRA bumper sticker on his car.

One star.

I'm glad u did this cuz I just got a ride from a gay guy with a rainbrow bumper sticker
I gave his sorry ass ONE STAR just for u

I will give all gay drivers with rainbow bumper stickers onee star just for u brotha LOL!!!!
August 15th, 2018 at 4:57:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Uber’s Losses Mount at Self-Driving Car Unit

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/ubers-losses-mount-at-self-driving-car-unit
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 27th, 2018 at 5:34:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
I never complain about Uber anymore,
haven't had a bad driver since last fall.
All I get now are white men in their
late 50's and older. I think the bad
drivers are naturally weeded out and
only the good ones are left. Thank
god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2018 at 2:48:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Interesting 6 min video. When I was in
the cab biz, self owned taxi's never
lasted longer than a year. It's a losing
deal.. Uber exists to constantly suck
in new recruits. Like Amway does.

September 16th, 2018 at 7:21:56 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
New York city is going to restrict UBER licenses. The original spin on UBER was since it was "ride sharing" the number of cars on the road in city would be reduced. In a recent study of the increased traffic on the roads they discovered several things about UBER. Very few of the trips were ride sharing, 30% of the time the UBER vehicles were driving around empty, and most significantly that since they were much cheaper than cabs most of their customer were bled off from the existing public transit ridership. The bottom line was millions of more miles per year being driven on the already jammed NYC streets. London is also going to restrict the number of UBER cars.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 16th, 2018 at 11:34:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
New York city is going to restrict UBER licenses.

In my area there are 2500 Uber drivers
and at any given time there are 200
of them on the road. And 4 taxi companies.

When I was in the cab biz I had a fleet
of 40 cabs. There was 65 in the whole
county. I cannot understand how any
of these Uber drivers are making any
real money, many of them sit for long
periods with no rides.