Quote: Evenbob
The Uber driver boards are a riot. Read the
first post in the thread, a guy is describing
to a tee what cab driving is all about. It's
lots and lots of crappy small fares, with a
few good ones thrown in. It's work, it's a
job, a job that mostly sucks. As more and
more people catch on to ride sharing, the
quality of the riders will drop drastically.
As it's already doing.

http://uberpeople.net/threads/is-it-me-or-is-uber-dying-a-slow-death.35636/

That's why uber is great for part timers who can be picky about fares and won't starve without money.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2015 at 5:05:58 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Just got an email that Uber went live in Las Vegas at 2pm today. Right now it looks like rates are $1.85 a mile. Much higher than in bigger cities.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 15th, 2015 at 5:39:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
If I were in charge, every state would maintain their own roads with no federal subsidies.

What would you do about federal roads?
The President is a fink.
September 15th, 2015 at 5:55:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
That's why uber is great for part timers who can be picky about fares and won't starve without money.

I read that drivers can't refuse very many rides
without being penalized.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 15th, 2015 at 7:04:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
UBER REPORT

So I had the car in the shop today (and I am POed over that but another subject) and had to get to the suburbs from town. Had a free $20 for my first ride, so based on curiosity and this thread I decided to try the service.

First step was a fare estimate. One thing I did not know, Uber does have their own version of the taxi meter. Your fare will be a combo of miles/time. My range was estimated $14-19.

The first step was deciding where to get picked up. This took a little thought as downtown streets can be tough. I was killing time on a just perfect late summer day so I went to the courtyard of PPG Place. Fired up the Uber app and put in the destination. Had that moment of hesitation before I hit the "go" button.

The app senses where you are and asks you to verify. After I hit "go" it took about 30 seconds to book. Said the driver's name and car type plus an ETA of 4 mins. I texted him my description and a more exact place where I was sitting (the plaza is pretty big.) It took him about 2 minutes to arrive.

I go to the car and he verifies me and I him. Once he had the wrong fare so now he is extra careful. The driver was very polite and professional. Said he has been doing it about 18 months and is on Lyft and Uber both. Uber gives more business but Lyft makes you more money. OTOH, he said with Lyft the bonus plan is harder to hit just right. Doing both gives the most fares.

His average pay after expenses was $12. The guy admitted it was not great but said he is dyslexic so other opportunities are few, it is better than saying "you want fries with that?" The college crowd is a prime customer so he often drives to that area to wait. He drives from the next county daily.

The drive was pleasant. How does the utility of it break down?

The bus cost $3.75, Uber $19. So you are talking a difference of $16. For that $16 I got a ride to the door instead of the bus stop 1/2 a mile away. I got picked up instead of hauling to the bus stop and waiting. And I got to leave when I wanted instead of when the bus came. Is that worth $16? Depends of course. But a cab would be $22.50-$29.00 per the taxi website. So Uber is cheaper than a cab.

I will surely use Uber next time I have to fly out of town. If I were still of bar hopping age it would be invaluable. One thing for sure they gave me a positive experience and if anyone asks I would not hesitate to tell people to give it a try!
The President is a fink.
September 15th, 2015 at 7:11:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Very well done report! Thank you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 15th, 2015 at 7:32:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
Very well done report! Thank you.

Glad you like.

As an edit, they did not credit my $20 at first, but one email and BOOM, credited. One of those credits that hit so fast you were amazed it was so easy.

As another edit, I have the code for a free ride ($20) for those who want to try it. Will post here (and WoV) if permission given. Gets me one as well. If not that's OK, I don't want to start a spam thing.
The President is a fink.
September 15th, 2015 at 7:37:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
As another edit, I have the code for a free ride ($20) for those who want to try it. Will post here (and WoV) if permission given. Gets me one as well. If not that's OK, I don't want to start a spam thing.

Permission granted.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 15th, 2015 at 7:39:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It took 2min for him to get there? Isn't it
amazing that all these Uber drivers have
nothing to do except wait for the next fare.
In the cab biz, that's called business being
slow as shit.

And the $12 isn't including everything, it
never is. I bet he doesn't know 15.3%
comes right off the top for FICA. I bet he doesn't
know how to figure depreciation on his car,
or if he deducts every car wash and oil change.
I bet it's closer to $9 an hour.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 15th, 2015 at 7:45:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
It took 2min for him to get there? Isn't it
amazing that all these Uber drivers have
nothing to do except wait for the next fare.
In the cab biz, that's called business being
slow as shit.

Actually he had just dropped off someone a few minutes before. Cabs do not cruise for fares here, you never hail one. Guy did say he was doing 70 hour weeks, but that is same as most cab divers.

Quote:
And the $12 isn't including everything, it
never is. I bet he doesn't know 15.3%
comes right off the top for FICA. I bet he doesn't
know how to figure depreciation on his car,
or if he deducts every car wash and oil change.
I bet it's closer to $9 an hour.

If he is smart, he just takes the mileage deduction. I do that for courier work. It is key to keeping your money. Heck, as an abstractor I could deduct almost $90 a day for car expenses plus tolls plus parking.
The President is a fink.