Poll
2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

July 31st, 2015 at 1:02:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Marvel comics has been releasing it's characters to studios for adaptation since Howard the Duck. But Spiderman ($4 billion), Xmen ($3 billion), and too a lesser extent Blade ($415.1 million) and Fantastic Four have been making a lot of money for other studios.

The Remaining Marvel Characters have been brought back under Marvel's control in a franchise called the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So far 12 films have brought in $8.8 billion around the world with Iron Man proving to be one of the most lucrative characters of all time.

Guardians of the Galaxy proved to be an amazing success for a film with relatively unknown character. Ant Man is performing within reasonable expectations for the first 14 days, and will pull itself of the Incredible Hulk (the only film that could reasonably called a failure).

Rank Title Studio Worldwide
1 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,519.6
2 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $1,395.9
3 Iron Man 3 BV $1,215.4
4 Guardians of the Galaxy BV $774.2
5 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $714.8
6 Thor: The Dark World BV $644.8
7 Iron Man 2 Par. $623.9
8 Iron Man Par. $585.2
9 Thor Par. $449.3 $181.0
10 Captain America: The First Avenger Par. $370.6
11 The Incredible Hulk Uni. $263.4
12 Ant-Man BV $237.2 (14 days)
TOTAL: $8,794.3

What will happen to the upcoming slate of 9 films?

Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok - July 28, 2017
Black Panther - November 3, 2017 (starring Chadwick Boseman)

Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - May 4, 2018
Captain Marvel - July 6, 2018
Inhumans - November 2, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - May 3, 2019
July 31st, 2015 at 2:17:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I blame Stan Lee personally for setting back at least 1,000 years the general understanding of genetic mutations.

Other people are to blame for setting back the understanding of genetics at least 1,000 years (I'm looking at you news media).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 31st, 2015 at 5:56:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There are billions and billions to go. The formula is solid, they just need to manage it carefully. The reboot of Fantastic Four will be a good test. It will also be a studo executive nailbiter to see if their choices for the Vision character are going to pay off, or spill the cart. Emotionless aliens are cool in comic books, but flat on the big screen. Consider the track record of the Silver Surfer.
October 1st, 2015 at 10:29:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
There are billions and billions to go. The formula is solid, they just need to manage it carefully. The reboot of Fantastic Four will be a good test. It will also be a studo executive nailbiter to see if their choices for the Vision character are going to pay off, or spill the cart. Emotionless aliens are cool in comic books, but flat on the big screen. Consider the track record of the Silver Surfer.

AntMan has passed Captain America: The First Avenger both domestically and internationally. With $400m worldwide it seems to prove that the Marvel Cinematic Universe ((MCU) seems to be bulletproof.

The reboot of Fantastic Four was a massive fail, which shows that Marvel characters outside of MCU are still troubled. It is not clear if the planned sequel will be canned.
September 5th, 2017 at 10:46:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw Doctor Strange on Nflix, only because
it has Cumberbatch. He's always great in
anything. Too bad the story was stupid
beyond belief, the movie was about nothing.
I kept waiting for it to get started and 3/4
of the way thru I realized this was it, a non
story about some totally confusing place that
doesn't exist. That's why I never watch these
things, waste of 2 hours.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 5th, 2017 at 11:50:14 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob

I kept waiting for it to get started and 3/4
of the way thru I realized this was it, a non
story about some totally confusing place that
doesn't exist.

lol
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 9th, 2018 at 1:13:27 PM permalink
ams288
****THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR*****
So I just realized that the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming (titled Spider-Man: Far From Home) comes out next July, two months after Avengers 4 comes out in May 2019.

How will they advertise Spider-Man: FFH? They will obviously have to release a trailer well before May for a movie that comes out in July.

Considering that Peter Parker dies at the end of Infinity War, we can assume that he will get resurrected somehow in Avengers 4. But won't the trailers for Spider-Man: FFH spoil that resurrection before Avengers 4 even comes out?
July 9th, 2018 at 1:52:30 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: ams288
So I just realized that the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming (titled Spider-Man: Far From Home) comes out next July, two months after Avengers 4 comes out in May 2019.

How will they advertise Spider-Man: FFH? They will obviously have to release a trailer well before May for a movie that comes out in July.

Considering that Peter Parker dies at the end of Infinity War, we can assume that he will get resurrected somehow in Avengers 4. But won't the trailers for Spider-Man: FFH spoil that resurrection before Avengers 4 even comes out?

The short answer is Yes. Trailers are so terrible at keeping secrets nowadays. But "Captain Marvel", currently scheduled for release in March of 2019 will resolve the Peter Parker cliffhanger in time for ample Spiderman advertising through the Spring.
July 10th, 2018 at 4:56:01 AM permalink
ams288

The short answer is Yes. Trailers are so terrible at keeping secrets nowadays. But "Captain Marvel", currently scheduled for release in March of 2019 will resolve the Peter Parker cliffhanger in time for ample Spiderman advertising through the Spring.

The Captain Marvel movie takes place in the 1990s, before Peter Parker was even born. So I can't imagine that movie addressing his death.
July 10th, 2018 at 12:53:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba

The Captain Marvel movie takes place in the 1990s, before Peter Parker was even born. So I can't imagine that movie addressing his death.

One of the Infinity Stones was “Time”, so I don’t think it matters.
I would also not be surprised if Thor’s sister reappears somewhere down the line, since Thanos is supposed to have a thing for Death.
Recall that Dr. Strange only saw one timeline where the Avengers would succeed. A “Lose to Win” twist is a tradition in these movies. e.g. the fall of Asgard in Ragnarok, the disbanding of the Avengers in Civil War, or even abandoning the original plan to defeat the invaders in the original Avengers.
Page 1 of 3123>