No votes (0%)
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)

10 members have voted

July 20th, 2015 at 5:51:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm having an argument with my son whether Captain Crunch is only the rank of commander. My son's argument is that he has three strips on his sleeve, which would indicate his rank is commander. A captain has four stripes.

My argument is that he is a cartoon character for crying out loud, never said he is a member of the U.S. Navy, and his name invokes poetic license.

What is your opinion on his rank?

Links:

Cap'n Crunch answers 'mutinous rumblings' about being a real captain

A cereal imposter: Is Cap’n Crunch really a captain?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 20th, 2015 at 5:53:51 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
A Commander may also be the captain of a smaller ship.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 20th, 2015 at 8:01:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A commander could for sure be captain of
an cereal box, or a row boat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2015 at 11:06:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
don't you think the most appropriate topics are Nutrition, nutritional labeling, sugars, empty calories.

Or that a man is always a captain of his yacht but if married, his wife is the admiral.
July 21st, 2015 at 6:49:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I'm having an argument with my son whether Captain Crunch is only the rank of commander.

Why are you arguing about it at all? It's a god thing your son knows these things and notices them. You could teach them, or tell him to look up, military ranks and naval titles.

For instance, the word "captain" in navy usage either refers to the rank, or to the title of the person in command of a ship. Most ships in the US Navy have as captain a person with the rank of commander. Smaller vessels and utility vessels, have lower-ranked officers as captain. In the Coast Guard a captain can even be a non-commissioned officer. Bigger ships, like aircraft carriers, have a captain with the rank of captain.

You could teach him, too, the differences between navy and army/marine/air force ranks. A navy captain is equivalent to an army/marine/air force colonel.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 21st, 2015 at 6:54:00 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Nobody claimed he was a Cap'n in the U.S. Navy. The navy he is in could use three stripes to designate a Captain. Or Cap'n.

According to this article you linked:
A cereal imposter: Is Cap’n Crunch really a captain?
Quote:
Hailing from Crunch Island, Cap’n Crunch lives and commands the boat S.S. Guppy, according to his bio.

Where is Crunch Island? It's own country (with its own navy), or part of another country?

And what navy uses the S.S. prefix?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 21st, 2015 at 7:16:36 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Nobody claimed he was a Cap'n in the U.S. Navy. The navy he is in could use three stripes to designate a Captain. Or Cap'n.

Where is Crunch Island? It's own country (with its own navy), or part of another country?

And what navy uses the S.S. prefix?

Yes, these were the arguments I used. Also that Captain Crunch just sounds better. BTW, our last big argument was over whether is is Duct Tape or Duck Tape. These are the kinds of things we get passionate discussions about.

That is a good point that a commander can be in charge of a smaller boat. In such a case, how would he be addressed?

Trivia Time. What is the real name of Captain Crunch?

Horatio Magellan Crunch
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 21st, 2015 at 10:55:58 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
... is is Duct Tape or Duck Tape?

Duct Tape. It's primary / initial intended use is to seal ducts.

This error comes from people who say something without realizing the actual words they are saying.

It's kind of the same way people write "should of" when they mean "should've" and don't even know it's a contraction of "should have."

Duct tape gets the added push towards duck tape by having a brand that uses a duck in the brand logo.

What's next? Was Col Sanders really a Colonel? It's debatable, but at least he was a real person, unlike the current idiotic rendition seen in recent ads.

--

On a side note, it wasn't until Quaker was satisfied with the ad campaign, a series of 30 and 60 second animated commercials involving the Cap'ns victorious battles against the pirate John LeFoote, that they even began to develop the cereal.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 21st, 2015 at 11:35:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
BTW, our last big argument was over whether is is Duct Tape or Duck Tape.

Both.

The product is Duct Tape. Thee is a brand of it called "Duck Tape," though they produce other kinds of tapes a well.

Quote:
These are the kinds of things we get passionate discussions about.

You need to find something else.

Next you'll be arguing about "statue of limitations," "for all intensive purposes," and other common misconceptions.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 21st, 2015 at 12:23:08 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I used to believe that it was "Duct" tape as well because of one of its common uses. It is actually "duck" tape. The military developed it (what a suprise) and it got to be know as the tape that water rolls off of "like water off of a ducks back".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 3123>