Threads: 135
Chick-fil-A is America’s favorite fast food chain, survey says

This place must confound MBAs. Consider:

It is closed Sunday
Other than side items, they really do not expand or change the menu much
They bread the stuff in the store, not get it ready to make
The store manager gets a bonus of 50% of each year's profit
It is competitive to get a job there

Break all those rules and still some of the best service and cleanest stores in the QSR industry. Plus the food is good, except I am no huge fan of their fries.

When I was in financial disaster mode I went to one to try to get a job, I told the manager I was laid off and wanted both some steady work as well as to maybe get into managing there. He may have been seriously considering a then-38 year old fry cook or may have been humoring me, but he took the time to talk to me. He gave me a store tour. He gave me a copy of the founder's book. And he gave me a free meal. I will always remember that.

They are a good story about a place that is saying, "we are growing at our own pace and running the place our own way. You don't like it, kiss off." Hopefully they keep it going.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2015 at 1:00:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
How is it possible, Chick isn't everywhere. I
never heard of them till they were in the
news a few years ago. For instance, there's
one in MI, one in NY, none in NV.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 1st, 2015 at 1:16:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

They started in the south but as they move outward the word spreads. The service you get there is a world ahead of almost any QSR, and just flattens MCD, WEN, BK, and KFC. Their employees seem actually happy. They seem to hire more seniors, which may be a part of it. IIRC, 1 in 50 people who apply to be operators get to do so, and at most you can run 2 locations. It is usually 1 but sometimes the 2nd is some unusual thing so they bend the rules. But they really just want proprietors, not regional franchisees.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2015 at 1:16:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Depends on the measurement. It looks like this was a survey on customer satisfaction - Chick Fil A is #1, and McDonalds is dead last, at 17th I think.

In annual sales, though, McDonalds is (maybe was? Dunno how current the thing I was looking at) is #1

Chick Fil A does grab another #1 when considering dollars - most money earned per store, something over 2 million.

It is interesting how people seem to be the least satisfied with McDonalds, but keep giving them money. I only really like their fries.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 1st, 2015 at 1:17:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob

They just announced their first Nevada store will be located in Henderson. It should be open within the year.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 1st, 2015 at 1:23:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64

It is interesting how people seem to be the least satisfied with McDonalds, but keep giving them money. I only really like their fries.

I actually do like their sausage. As to the rest, sometimes if time is important and I am just in the mood for a Big Mac I will stop. This is just a few times per year. Other times they are all that is around or the best of several bad choices. OTOH I have worked with people who stop all of the time. Crazy.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2015 at 1:28:36 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I retract my statement about only liking their fries.

I forgot that every now and then, maybe once every other month, I'll grab a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel for breakfast.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 1st, 2015 at 2:04:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64

Try the ranch chicken wrap.

Anyway, often it's the one available when you're rushed and/or low on funds.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 1st, 2015 at 3:08:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Love the mcdonalds fish filet
Like the ranch chicken wrap

Chickafil sandwich, seems like somebody sat on it, always smushed
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 1st, 2015 at 3:14:57 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Chick-fil-A is America’s favorite fast food chain, survey says

This place must confound MBAs. Consider:

It is closed Sunday
Other than side items, they really do not expand or change the menu much
They bread the stuff in the store, not get it ready to make
The store manager gets a bonus of 50% of each year's profit
It is competitive to get a job there

Break all those rules and still some of the best service and cleanest stores in the QSR industry. Plus the food is good, except I am no huge fan of their fries.

When I was in financial disaster mode I went to one to try to get a job, I told the manager I was laid off and wanted both some steady work as well as to maybe get into managing there. He may have been seriously considering a then-38 year old fry cook or may have been humoring me, but he took the time to talk to me. He gave me a store tour. He gave me a copy of the founder's book. And he gave me a free meal. I will always remember that.

They are a good story about a place that is saying, "we are growing at our own pace and running the place our own way. You don't like it, kiss off." Hopefully they keep it going.

MBAs that do the analysis and 'don't get it' should probably be flunked and go around again. It's a business model that works, so they should be looking at why... not why not :)

Of the list fast food joints in the US I haven't tried, they are top of my list. Because I love fried chicken and waffle fries. Don't tell the rest of the left wingers, I might get ostracised ;) Next trip to Seattle, if I'm driving maybe I'll detour.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 1 of 212>