I honestly did not know this.

Page 1 of 212>
June 30th, 2015 at 9:53:27 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
If you are in a fight for your life, and your wife tries to help by grabbing your attacker's testicles, the she has to have her hand cut off. This is very specific.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12.
"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

You learn something new every day, it appears!
June 30th, 2015 at 10:06:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mosca
If you are in a fight for your life, and your wife tries to help by grabbing your attacker's testicles, the she has to have her hand cut off. This is very specific.

It's things like these which ought to make everyone question other prohibitions, exceptions, condemnations, etc contained in that book.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 30th, 2015 at 10:36:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just about everything is punishable by death in the Old Testament. Here is a list for you: List of actions prohibited by the Bible.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 30th, 2015 at 11:39:46 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
Just about everything is punishable by death in the Old Testament. Here is a list for you: List of actions prohibited by the Bible.

What strikes me about this one, though, is how specific it is. It's like Leviticus was giving a guy a beat-down, and the guy's wife snuck up behind him and grabbed his nuts and started yanking. Leviticus finished beating on the guy, then turned to the wife and cut off her hand, and then, as if to say "LOOK! LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GRAB A GUY'S NUTS!" went and wrote it down and put it in The Bible.

You can bet no ones wife grabbed Leviticus's nuts during a fight after that one!
June 30th, 2015 at 11:45:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

What strikes me about the one, though, is how specific it is.

Gee, it almost seems the Bible wasn't inspired
by god at all, just a bunch of old men.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2015 at 12:02:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Isn't there some prohibition about wearing a coat of many colors rather than a simple garment? was that death too?
June 30th, 2015 at 12:03:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It's an old cultural streak running back a long, long time. To this day, Orthodox Jews are weird about sex and modesty. Some women, for example, won't touch, on purpose, any man other than their husbands. And I mean this literally: they wont' even shake hands with any other man. Now, if something as innocuous as a handshake is verboten, it would follow that touching a man's intimate parts would qualify as a major felony.

Men are no better. I don't know about touching other women, but they do things like not looking at their wife naked, keeping their eyes closed during sex, etc. You won't be surprised to hear most observant Orthodox couples sleep in separate beds.

Who knows why that part of the world turned out so puritanical anyway. Many of their contemporaries were much more free-spirited.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 30th, 2015 at 3:13:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
Isn't there some prohibition about wearing a coat of many colors rather than a simple garment? was that death too?

Wasn't there a whole musical about Joseph and his coat of many colors?

What strikes me about this one, though, is how specific it is.

I bet that exact situation happened. The guy who got hit nuts yanked probably complained to Moses. Maybe Moses owed him a favor so made this specific law to fit that situation at hand. Over and over women get hardly any respect in the Old Testament so this one is really not that out of line with the rest of it.
June 30th, 2015 at 10:43:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Wasn't there a whole musical about Joseph and his coat of many colors?
Well, I suppose I could google it, but to my knowledge, no.
July 1st, 2015 at 6:08:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
Well, I suppose I could google it, but to my knowledge, no.

Page 1 of 212>