Should I switch to Android?

Page 2 of 2<12
June 22nd, 2015 at 7:16:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I have noticed an artificial difference. Some high end apps like met opera on demand only are available on apple initially, and they are added on android much later. I am not sure if it is programming or marketing.

My understanding is that though there are more Android phones, iphone owners spend more on apps. I forget whether the absolute spending, rather than the relative one, is higher for ios.

FWIW, I've paid for two apps, one on Android and on ios.

I don't know where the money is. Apparently "freemium" apps, those which contain in-app purchases, can do very well. The prototypical example is King's Candy Crush game, where players can spend money on extra moves, extra lives, and game boosters. But this model won't work for all apps. how do you charge for content in a pedometer? Another model is to give the app for free, then charge a third party for ads. these days, though, surely that means click-through. In this the iphone would have an advantage, too, as many mid- and low-end Android phones are slow; therefore clicking on ads in an app can bring the experience to a halt. By contrast all iphones are high-end and reasonably fast (though if you stick with an older model performance does suffer).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 22nd, 2015 at 6:36:44 PM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: Nareed
My understanding is that though there are more Android phones, iphone owners spend more on apps. I forget whether the absolute spending, rather than the relative one, is higher for ios.

FWIW, I've paid for two apps, one on Android and on ios.

I don't know where the money is. Apparently "freemium" apps, those which contain in-app purchases, can do very well. The prototypical example is King's Candy Crush game, where players can spend money on extra moves, extra lives, and game boosters. But this model won't work for all apps. how do you charge for content in a pedometer? Another model is to give the app for free, then charge a third party for ads. these days, though, surely that means click-through. In this the iphone would have an advantage, too, as many mid- and low-end Android phones are slow; therefore clicking on ads in an app can bring the experience to a halt. By contrast all iphones are high-end and reasonably fast (though if you stick with an older model performance does suffer).

I have the free Scrabble app on my phone. They have an ad after every move. Most are just a second or 2 but they throw in a 28 second one every once in a while. Still better than paying. I also have games like Candy Crush and have NEVER made an in app purchase.
June 22nd, 2015 at 7:59:14 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Nareed
If you don't say ios is better, you run the risk of going to hell.exe :)

Why are you trying to inject tolerance in order to spoil a perfectly pointless flame war over something as trivial as personal preferences?

Haha, it's just my nature. Folks get all worked up over choices, like their self worth is bound up in what phone is better, all AZ wants to know is if it will do what he wants it to at a better price. It will.
June 22nd, 2015 at 10:24:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Mosca
Haha, it's just my nature. Folks get all worked up over choices, like their self worth is bound up in what phone is better, all AZ wants to know is if it will do what he wants it to at a better price. It will.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-mobile-document-scanning-apps-1691417781

I see articles on the best App to scan documents. Google scan as part of Google drive is listed as #1 and Camscanner as #2.

Google Drive storage plans
Here are the monthly storage plans that you can buy. Since you're upgrading from the free option, the plan you choose will be your new total storage limit. For example if you choose 1 TB, your new total storage limit after upgrading will be 1 TB.
There are no annual plans available at this time.
Total storage Monthly rate
15 GB Free
100 GB $1.99
1 TB $9.99
10 TB $99.99
20 TB $199.99
30 TB $299.99
Note: Prices listed above don't include any applicable taxes or fees associated with your country of residence. You may be charged taxes or fees in addition to the prices listed above. Google won’t charge any additional fees.

Cam Scanner costs $5/month of $50/year to
upgrade from 200 Mb to 10 Gb
Edit OCR results and notes of the entire doc, exporting as .txt file
Create Doc Collage for multiple pages
Auto upload docs to Box, Google Drive, Dropbox, Evernote, OneDrive
Batch download PDF files in web app (www.camscanner.com)
Send doc links with password protection
Set expiration date of doc link
Collaborate up to 50 people instead of default 10.
June 23rd, 2015 at 6:32:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: boopsahoy
I also have games like Candy Crush and have NEVER made an in app purchase.

After one frustrating week stuck on a level, I paid for extra moves to finish it. It was like US $0.99 or something, but I felt like a sucker right after I did it. Since then I've not shelled out a penny. Instead I've other games to turn to when one gets frustrating. Also I like to play Candy Crush without a net connection. This lets me start over from the beginning.
June 23rd, 2015 at 6:37:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
Haha, it's just my nature. Folks get all worked up over choices, like their self worth is bound up in what phone is better,

You mean it's not? Who died and made you a peacemaker anyway? Do you have any idea how tranquil and good the world would be if there were more people like you? Etcetera!

That said, I was kind of appalled when the iphone 6 came out, and three guys at the office rushed out to replace their current cult object with the new one. Sure, it's a nice phone. But can't you wait til your plan runs out to upgrade? it will be cheaper.
June 25th, 2015 at 3:36:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well, I will switch in baby-steps. Due to the total crash in O&G and my nasty habit of eating every day, I should soon be starting as a courier (again!) in a few days. A droid is a requirement due to some bug in the iPhone app they use.

So I am buying a cheapo, entry level droid mainly just to use the app and eventually as a hot spot in courthouses. Not quite a burner, but at $81 it is cheap enough that I will not have a heart attack if something happens to it. Mainly going to use it for the app, perhaps to play podcasts, and not much else.

If anyone cares to hear about a day in the life of the guy who brings your lost airline bags, say so here and when I get going I will put it in the side hustle thread. Curiously, the job seems to be of the type that if you are intelligent sounding and clean they will give you a shot. Guy asked me if I had a smart phone and he said so many applicants did not. When I said iPhone (his ad was wrong, said could be either) he seemed let down. I said I would buy the droid and it was, "can you be here in an hour?" Droid, mid-size car, and clean record knock many people out I guess. Can't wait to start!
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2015 at 6:54:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I have a Galaxy, and I would never go Apple. Most of the reasons you've already heard of, but for the kind of guy I am, it just doesn't work.

My galaxy has been in the swamp twice, dropped in the toilet thrice, dumped in the shower 7+ times including being submerged in shampoo bubbles and whatnot, covered in axle grease and motor oil and PB Blaster, and it still works like the day I bought it. One of those two swamp dunks killed an Apple dead, and $500 came out of my g/f's pocket for it. I drop it, I kick it, I put it in a bag and throw the bag, it falls off counters, wrenches get dropped on it, and it just keeps going. It's like the AK-47 of the phone world. My previous phone, also a Samsung powered my Droid, was the same way. Nothing kills it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 26th, 2015 at 3:10:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I have a Galaxy, and I would never go Apple. Most of the reasons you've already heard of, but for the kind of guy I am, it just doesn't work.

My galaxy has been in the swamp twice, dropped in the toilet thrice, dumped in the shower 7+ times including being submerged in shampoo bubbles and whatnot, covered in axle grease and motor oil and PB Blaster, and it still works like the day I bought it. One of those two swamp dunks killed an Apple dead, and $500 came out of my g/f's pocket for it. I drop it, I kick it, I put it in a bag and throw the bag, it falls off counters, wrenches get dropped on it, and it just keeps going. It's like the AK-47 of the phone world. My previous phone, also a Samsung powered my Droid, was the same way. Nothing kills it.

Does it take a 0W motor oil or can I use the same 5W-30 my truck uses?
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12