Should I switch to Android?

Page 1 of 212>
June 21st, 2015 at 6:47:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
While my second iPhone has served me well, its declining battery life and my outgrowing its memory are telling me it is time to consider an upgrade. While the security blanket of the Apple Store is nice, I am considering the switch to an Android.

Has anyone else switched? I am pretty sure Android will have the doc scan features I need in their app store. A bigger screen is getting to be a must. Mostly my needs are simple. I need ability to do a wi-fi hotspot and scan docs. The rest I use like a normal person I figure. For the most part I see this as an old-school Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Has anyone switched or any advice?
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2015 at 7:20:36 AM permalink
NYSith
Threads: 0
I chose Android over Apple when a co-worker made fun of my "flip phone" about 5 years ago. At the time it was more economical and provided me with pretty much the same functionality minus the Apple "ecosystem". Apple does make their products work seamlessly together which is a good deal, but I favor the openness of the Android phones. Dollar for dollar, the higher end Android phones today are every bit as good as the Iphone if not better. I've known people that wouldn't switch for a variety of reasons, "didn't want to lose everything they already had on their Iphones, weren't used to the Android GUI and interface, the App store for Apple has x number of Apps versus the Apps designed for Android, etc." So it really comes down to what functionality you want and cost. They pretty much do the same thing these days. I'm with you, I need the bigger screen as well and the Wi-Fi hotspot is a handy tool especially when I'm out in the field supporting my customer and need to link my laptop to the internet and do work that I can't on the phone. Not sure which carrier you have or if they have any deals that if you're not satisfied you can trade the phone back in for a different one. If they do, try an Android and if it isn't to your liking switch back. Darth Vader went to the Darkside, found he didn't like it and eventually went back. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I think it's the shizznit as we used to say back in the 90s. An upside to most Android phones on the market now is you can upgrade the memory with a micro SD card for a fraction of the cost of buying a phone with the same amount of memory included. I did it with mine and I've never had a problem. Sorry for the lengthy post. Good luck with selecting a new phone.
June 21st, 2015 at 7:21:54 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Apple is a religion AZD. Breakfree from all the young hipster libs you love so much.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 21st, 2015 at 7:47:11 AM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: AZDuffman
While my second iPhone has served me well, its declining battery life and my outgrowing its memory are telling me it is time to consider an upgrade. While the security blanket of the Apple Store is nice, I am considering the switch to an Android.

Has anyone else switched? I am pretty sure Android will have the doc scan features I need in their app store. A bigger screen is getting to be a must. Mostly my needs are simple. I need ability to do a wi-fi hotspot and scan docs. The rest I use like a normal person I figure. For the most part I see this as an old-school Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Has anyone switched or any advice?

I love my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only thing is you can't get apps/music from the itune store.
June 21st, 2015 at 7:53:26 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I use an iPad as my tablet, but I've been Android for my smartphones from day 1. It's all about the interconnectivity among the apps. They work together seamlessly. That's not a big deal for the iPad, but it would be a real pain on the phone

That being said, anyone who says either is actually BETTER is kidding him/herself. They're different, and people have preferences. Both are fine.
June 21st, 2015 at 7:59:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: NYSith
II currently own a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I think it's the shizznit as we used to say back in the 90s. An upside to most Android phones on the market now is you can upgrade the memory with a micro SD card for a fraction of the cost of buying a phone with the same amount of memory included. I did it with mine and I've never had a problem. Sorry for the lengthy post. Good luck with selecting a new phone.

No, long post good. I see the s5 for 1/3 the price of the iPhone 6. That's insane and a decent reason to switch.

Quote: kenarman
Apple is a religion AZD. Breakfree from all the young hipster libs you love so much.

It is and I may be, though it has not been so much with us older guys and the iPhone as with the tablets.

Quote: boopsahoy
I love my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only thing is you can't get apps/music from the itune store.

Apps seem to almost always be for both now. If anything, Apple is getting stranded same as the PCs did in the 1980s when DOS started becoming the standard. Meh to music, I download what I want from YouTube or more likely listen to podcasts.
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2015 at 8:14:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
Apple is a religion

Amen

;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 21st, 2015 at 8:16:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mosca
That being said, anyone who says either is actually BETTER is kidding him/herself.

If you don't say ios is better, you run the risk of going to hell.exe :)

Quote:
They're different, and people have preferences. Both are fine.

Why are you trying to inject tolerance in order to spoil a perfectly pointless flame war over something as trivial as personal preferences?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 21st, 2015 at 12:03:09 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have an older ipod touch. It is capped on ios 6. My even older ipod touch is stuck on ios 4. Fewer and fewer apps are ios 6 compatible, and apple changed their compiler to not even generate a build for my much much older ipod touch.

That kind of forced obsolesence really irritates me.

I would have switched to android a long time ago if anyone else made a device this size (about 4") that wasn't also a phone, and was wifi only.

My next device will be a larger android wifi tablet, which will relegate my current ipod touch to being a mp3 player for when I am mowing the lawn.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 21st, 2015 at 6:14:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Mosca
That being said, anyone who says either is actually BETTER is kidding him/herself. They're different, and people have preferences. Both are fine.

I have noticed an artificial difference. Some high end apps like met opera on demand only are available on apple initially, and they are added on android much later. I am not sure if it is programming or marketing.
Page 1 of 212>