This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Page 1 of 212>
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:08:47 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
This is a month old but I didn't become aware of it until today. Two law students murdered a rare bird on the grounds of the Flamingo in the wildlife habitat. I remember that bird, I have pictures of it somewhere.

The first thing that they did when the police started asking questions is to request a lawyer for themselves. Lesson learned! If Mr. PoPo starts asking questions, first ask for a lawyer.
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:12:43 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
A fine pair that will add to the community of crappy lawyers. I bet the good lawyers wish they could close the profession to idiots!!
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:59:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: s2dbaker
The first thing that they did when the police started asking questions is to request a lawyer for themselves. Lesson learned! If Mr. PoPo starts asking questions, first ask for a lawyer.

I've heard from prosecutors, cops and defense lawyers that you should always ask for a lawyer when questioned by the police. You may ask, but what if you're innocent? Well, these people advice "especially if you're innocent."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2012 at 12:26:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I've heard from prosecutors, cops and defense lawyers that you should always ask for a lawyer when questioned by the police. You may ask, but what if you're innocent? Well, these people advice "especially if you're innocent."

An entertaining video by a lawer and a cop on that subject. You can be found guilty in about 10,000 ways that you don't know about. Everything you tell the police can be used against you but not for you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 23rd, 2012 at 12:39:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
An entertaining video by a lawer and a cop on that subject. You can be found guilty in about 10,000 ways that you don't know about. Everything you tell the police can be used against you but not for you.

Nothing but the truth in that video, but it should always be said that it is good thing to cooperate with the police. You should not be talking if you could possibly be considered a suspect, however. Note that the speaker is especially talking about lawyers letting their clients talk to police.

Following their advice to 'come to the station' to talk to them is folly indeed.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 23rd, 2012 at 3:02:13 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Quote: odiousgambit
Nothing but the truth in that video, but it should always be said that it is good thing to cooperate with the police. You should not be talking if you could possibly be considered a suspect, however.
I watched the entire video. The presenter makes a point to say that even if you are completely innocent, do not talk to the police. No good will come of it. He gives examples of why people should not talk to the police even if they are completely innocent. I'm convinced! I will never talk to the police.
November 23rd, 2012 at 1:53:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: odiousgambit
Nothing but the truth in that video, but it should always be said that it is good thing to cooperate with the police. You should not be talking if you could possibly be considered a suspect, however.

Indeed. I think, though I haven't heard much on this topic, that one way to avoid becoming a suspect is not to act suspiciously. So if you witnessed a crime, know a suspect, or have information related to a case, you should answer the cops' questions about it.
November 23rd, 2012 at 3:05:28 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Quote: Nareed
Indeed. I think, though I haven't heard much on this topic, that one way to avoid becoming a suspect is not to act suspiciously. So if you witnessed a crime, know a suspect, or have information related to a case, you should answer the cops' questions about it.
They can get your testimony at trial. Do not talk to the cops. They are the last people you want to talk to.
November 23rd, 2012 at 3:16:11 PM permalink
Nareed
In all seriousness, a story I'm working on has the protagonist talking to the cops freely. Later someone tells her "Don't blame me. You you chose to talk to the police without a lawyer." Whereupon she won't say a word to a cop without her lawyer present, but by then she's already under arrest...
November 24th, 2012 at 6:53:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think three were actually involved... it was filmed by surveillance cameras.
The students were from Boalt Hall, not some crappy matchbook law school.

When you are guilty you need a lawyer, when you are innocent you need a good lawyer.
Page 1 of 212>