Driverless cars

Page 3 of 4<1234>
April 24th, 2018 at 3:03:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
R It's why parked cars are such easy targets, there are guys who make a living stealing GPS's out of parked cars.

They may have new options. One rule of stolen wireless intelligence is that you don't always have to know what information is being sent back and forth, you just have to know that information is being sent.

So if thieves manage to hack that Amazon is sending/receiving information about the code to deliver a package to a car, the thief doesn't have to decode the actual data, just monitor the traffic. If they steal enough packages some of them will be valuable.

Of course, a little more low tech is you just happen to see a guy in an Amazon uniform putting a package into a parked car. You then break in with a brick.

Last year, the online retailer , Amazon, introduced a system for letting people deliver packages into customers’ homes. Now, it’s their cars. GM says more than 7 million owners of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles qualify.

I predict they will have to put some kind of device that on the package that takes an image of someone moving the package. The actual recipient will have to mail it back to Amazon.
April 24th, 2018 at 3:09:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
If they steal enough packages some of them will be valuable.

A lot of videos on Utube of people
stealing packages from porches.
They aren't all Black teens, a lot
of them are middle aged men
and women. They know that if
they steal enough of them, they
won't all be cat toys, clothes, and
grandmas vitamins. Once in awhile
they get something valuable
enough that it was worth all the
effort.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 24th, 2018 at 3:27:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Robot delivery vehicles will be ripe
targets for thieves. No driver, no
guy with a gun to worry about.
Disable the car, steal the contents,
easy peasy. It's why parked cars are
such easy targets, there are guys
who make a living stealing GPS's
out of parked cars.

This whole automated thing is the biggest case of "just because you can does not mean you should" that I have seen in my lifetime. I chalk it up to there being too many book smart, street stupid people involved. They are ignoring all the practical downsides just to show it "can" work. Don't worry professional poker players, pizza delivery will be done by humans for our lifetime.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2018 at 4:14:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
This whole automated thing is the biggest case of "just because you can does not mean you should" that I have seen in my lifetime.

I remember in the late 50's we
really truly believed that by the
70's we would all be flying in
one man helo's to work. The
robot car is the new one man
helo.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 24th, 2018 at 4:29:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
This whole automated thing is the biggest case of "just because you can does not mean you should" that I have seen in my lifetime.

It was in the movies, so now we just want it in real life.
April 24th, 2018 at 4:44:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I think it is all still in the lab and will take a generation to make it practical.

I think they are shooting for a much shorter time frame than a generation. Personally, I am looking forward to the day when millions of these things are on the streets.
April 24th, 2018 at 4:44:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Well, no. There are tons of advantages to autonomous cars. For example, instead of waking up early to catch a flight, on certain routes, you could have your car drive you to your destination while you sleep. You wouldn't have to worry about having a few drinks before driving home from a dinner or a party.

Besides, we have autopilots on planes, why not on cars?

What i outline above is years away. IMO, autonomous cars won't be a hit util they are demonstrably safer than human drivers.

BTW, I've been to that subway station, and I don't think cabs can drop you off. Also, did you notice the Peñafiel and Bacardi billboards behind the bad guys? I hadn't noticed that before. It's odd, because Peñafiel is not an international brand, ro wasn't back then.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 24th, 2018 at 5:05:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
I think they are shooting for a much shorter time frame than a generation. Personally, I am looking forward to the day when millions of these things are on the streets.

I've said this again and again. The
only way it would work is if ALL
the cars were robots. You cannot
mix them with human drivers. This
will mean roads for robot cars only.
How likely is that to happen.
April 24th, 2018 at 7:15:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Well, no. There are tons of advantages to autonomous cars.

Automobile accident deaths peaked in the early 1970's, and are back to what they were in the mid 1930's. But they are still over 100 per day in the US. So it could be a significant saving in tragic deaths and injuries.
April 25th, 2018 at 2:38:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Real life is the thing. There are so many variables. Bad roads, accidents, dirt roads. Do they really think it is going to be easier to program a car with no steering wheel to move around a parking lot or driveway than just use what we have now? I can see cruise control becoming auto pilot on the highway, but for example yesterday it was raining. I could not use my cruise. How could you use an autonomous car in those conditions?

Automobile accident deaths peaked in the early 1970's, and are back to what they were in the mid 1930's. But they are still over 100 per day in the US. So it could be a significant saving in tragic deaths and injuries.

So they think, I do not see the huge drop happening as they tell us it will happen. A big thing is traffic will end up slowing down, will the public accept that?
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>