UK General Election

Page 3 of 3<123
May 8th, 2015 at 1:19:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I feel it's partly narrative driven.

Perhaps that's why... all those three issues tend to involve more government, not less, more change of the status quo and away from 'old values'?

But this was just three I thought of. There are how many more? Israel/Palestinians; Ferguson Cops; tastes great/less filling.

One thing I saw on wikipedia may have the answer and it explained left/right best I ever saw. It said leftists believe equality should always be the desired outcome while on the right people see that inequality may happen and there are often valid reasons for it.
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2015 at 1:32:19 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
But this was just three I thought of. There are how many more? Israel/Palestinians; Ferguson Cops; tastes great/less filling.

Oh I am sure there's more, I was just finding a common theme.

Quote:
One thing I saw on wikipedia may have the answer and it explained left/right best I ever saw. It said leftists believe equality should always be the desired outcome while on the right people see that inequality may happen and there are often valid reasons for it.

Equality of opportunity versus equality of outcome. That's probably a fair enough assessment. The small government right generally believes people will do the right thing for themselves and thus society, while the big government left generally believes that society needs to help people do the right thing. One commentator I knew always said the Right is far more trusting in human nature than the Left. Again, that'll depend on the type of left or right wing though being used, and there's all shades of inbetween.

A bi-lateral, adverersal split allows less shades in the in between, and forces stories where the gun-control advocate is 'meant' to sidle onto the same side as the pro-choice advocate, where the truth maybe they don't support abortion.

One of my objection to many politicos on the right is that even when the former is stated as a political goal, it's often not enacted that way. And on the left and centrists, many say they are working for the good of society as a whole are really just feathering the nests of their own group.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 3 of 3<123