What is the Rapture and should I be concerned?

Page 2 of 3<123>
April 21st, 2015 at 1:38:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
When I was younger everybody was hot and bothered by Hal Lindsey and his books that said the rapture was just around the corner.

Never heard of the guy.
I definitly was never hot or bothered with this guy. Cant be hot or bothered by a "worlds ending" kook.
He could come out and say the rapture will be here tomorrow, I'll just shrug
Michelle Bachmann says the rapture is coming soon, I'm not hot or bothered, simply entertained by kooks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 21st, 2015 at 2:12:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Christians have been expecting "The End" or "The Second Coming" ever since about 400 years after the death of Jesus (that's when it began to be the dominant religion in Rome). naturally as the year 1,000 CE approached, so did the certainty of these events. By the year 2000 CE, people were no longer so sure. but also every calamity, natural or human-made, brought out the end time rhetoric.

I suppose the Fall and sacking of Rome (both times!) seemed like enough. So did the next fall of Rome at the hand of Belisarius. Next would be the Siege of Byzantium in the 700s, and I suppose when Byzantium eventually fell, the locals wondered why the world hadn't ended instead.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 21st, 2015 at 3:17:49 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I've seen some quotes about an antichrist, the second coming of christ, the dead rising, judgement.

The bit about the world ending or time ending seems to be an extrapolation. Maybe it is just the new status quo.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 21st, 2015 at 3:23:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
I've seen some quotes about an antichrist, the second coming of christ, the dead rising, judgement.

We've been discussing the religion for
months and have only scratched the
surface of the supernatural mumbo jumbo
involved. This is what happens when 2000
years of active imaginations go to work.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:42:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
When I was younger everybody was hot and bothered by Hal Lindsey and his books that said the rapture was just around the corner.

Hal Lindsey wrote that bestselling book in 1970, but the movie was in 1979. I am surprised you remember it as you were very young.

I think Hal Lindsey (who is still alive) was the one who made the link between the restoration of Israel and the End Times a widely known idea.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:46:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

If the dead rise, I hereby volunteer, nay, demand to be left behind.

What a party it will be! Some 14 odd billion corpses roaming the streets of the world. Just raiding Walmarts and commandeering vehicles all along the East coast, sending slugs hither, thither, and yon. Year after year, every hour of every day is just camping and shooting.

And when all is said and done and we clear things up, all the governments will have been reset, and all religion will be gone.

Too bad it's just a zany idea in some kooky broad's head. I'd dig me some Rapture.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 21st, 2015 at 6:51:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've seen some quotes about an antichrist.

Doesn't spell Windows 8 though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 21st, 2015 at 6:56:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Actually the mark of the beast goes pretty well with watch computers and eyeware like google glasses. People can neither buy nor sell without a computer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 21st, 2015 at 9:09:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
Actually the mark of the beast goes pretty well with watch computer

Sweden Going Cashless: Pros and Cons of Paper Money

Articles like this are getting old Lucifer excited.
May 1st, 2015 at 12:29:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The Rapture has finally given it's own TV series. People mysteriously die and are brought back to life as angels tasked to fight the devil and prevent the Rapture.

Consistent with a summer TV series on the CW, it debuted to 1.2 million viewers and dropped -35% by its second show.
Page 2 of 3<123>