Airbus 320 Dusseldorf de Barcelona CRASHED French Alps

Page 4 of 5<12345>
March 27th, 2015 at 4:34:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
What part of "still lived with his parents" was not a red flag to this airline?

I know this is not considered unusual today when the kid is unable to find work but I think even today in any other circumstances it raises eyebrows with just about anybody.

Shall we ask the ladies what they would think of him as a potential mate? Still lives with mom. Yeah, they go for that.

Yes I'm pissed. This is stupid. Any normal man, with a job, cannot stand living with his parents. A pilot? Come on!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2015 at 5:00:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit

A pilot or a burger flipper????

Which way do you want to view it? What you may not realize is that a pilot often makes burger flipper wages if he works for a low cost carrier. He worked for GermanWings not Lufthansa. He was a First Officer not a Captain.

Anyone know his actual salary scale?

Apparently he had sought treatment for depression and had a 'sick note' for the day in question but had been tearing up such notes rather than reveal his treatment to the employer.

He probably would have not been paid if he had not been flying.
March 27th, 2015 at 5:27:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
As always, I need math help.

How much in Dollar is 4800 Euros .... and this is with his Seniority position about to be lessened by new Lufthansa Trainees.

ANSWER: its about 5212.00 dollars from which he would still have to pay off student loans.

Lived at home? Bout as much fun for his parents as for him, I guess.

He had no chance of moving up to Lufthansa and not much chance of making Captain at German Wings for quite awhile.
March 27th, 2015 at 7:57:23 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
4800 is the base pay, add to that the flight hourly rate of 85-95 euros. you only get paid that when the wheels are off of the ground.

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Germanwings

it looks like right now 1 Euro is worth about $1.09 USD.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2015 at 8:20:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What is a bit unusual that I heard about this airline.
If you are trained pilot but there are no openings, you work as a flight attendant untill there is an opening.
A pilot serving drinks, wow, they must not feel good about.
I think this guy was an attendant until a position opened up to fly as a pilot.
Maybe he was not happy with his company?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2015 at 9:18:55 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

It's not too unusual in some European countries to live with your parents... due to costs of accommodation, for starters.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 27th, 2015 at 9:59:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Maybe he was not happy with his company?

Time to kill 150 people!

Quote: TheCesspit
It's not too unusual in some European countries to live with your parents... due to costs of accommodation, for starters.

No doubt it's a real money-saving move, but something tells me it's not the thing to look for in a First Officer.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2015 at 10:30:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Time to kill 150 people!
No, time to kill himself but unless he jumps out of a 32 foot tall simulator, he is going to have to do it by taking passengers and crew with him.

>>>No doubt it's a real money-saving move, but something tells me it's not the thing to look for in a First Officer.
True. Its a sign of real trouble in most industries but today a lot of people with college loans to pay off are indeed living at home even if the kid works two low paying jobs.
March 27th, 2015 at 10:42:36 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit

More common in this day and age here, too.

Used to be that kids left at 18 and were never seen again. Now, especially between the economy and kid's propensity for amassing six digits in student debt, I'd say close to majority wind up back home for a spell.

I lived with mine until ~22. Moved back in at 24, partially to give Pops company while he was going through divorce, partly as a savings plan to get money for my first house. I moved back in with him during my own divorce at 31, and have lived in his house ever since (though he doesn't live here).

A buddy of mine, my age, still lives with his parents. He bought his own house, alone, with his own money. He didn't like it, and spent so much time out of it that he sold it and moved back in with mom and dad. He is an odd bird, but definitely not "kill himself and 100 others" odd. Maybe he's asexual, I dunno. Never has a dude or a chick; just works, plays an insane amount of hockey, and goes to games as much as he can. And really, if you're not getting some strange, what's the downside to living with mom and dad? XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 27th, 2015 at 1:34:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Time to kill 150 people!

No doubt it's a real money-saving move, but something tells me it's not the thing to look for in a First Officer.

Nonsense. I think his living arrangements are probably second to his competency to fly and overall mental well being. Whether he lives with his Mum or not is by-the-by.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 4 of 5<12345>