Is it racist to say that blacks can't swim? (split-off)

Page 2 of 3<123>
March 16th, 2015 at 9:14:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Well, what I'm trying to get at, is statements are made that so and so can't do this or that task.

When you give a reason that assumes they are inferior to the task has it been proven?

What do you mean by "proven?" I don't need a scientific study to show blacks prefer watching basketball to watching hockey. Just looking around can show you that. I don't need a study to show hockey is expensive to play, just ask any hockey parent! There is proof that backs make less than whites. So an intelligent person can simply look at the correlation. Ditto with more blacks living in areas where hockey is less popular. If you want to do a study on blacks and cold weather feel free, but I have been on enough service calls to see blacks turn the thermostat higher than whites.

Quote:
And so on. Each statement is stated, then begins to be refuted. But it's an error to assume a reason without eliminating the possibility it has some other reason than ability due to race.

I gave multiple reasons that had little to "do with race." The thing is, even when a racial issue is cited we get the "what does skin color have to do with things?" reply. Case in point, blacks disliking the cold. While this may have many reasons my guess is it is the Sickle Cell Anemia gene which also gives them a higher tolerance for hot and humid than whites. So at the other end they dislike the cold as their "heat comfort" is just simply higher than whites. It is just genetics. Yet when it is brought up so many people are so afraid to even discuss it that a conversation is impossible.
The President is a fink.
March 16th, 2015 at 9:50:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It is racist, not to mention collectivist, to make any general statements regarding the abilities of a large group of people based on non-essential, and often unconnected, characteristics such as skin color, gender, and such.

Such generalized claims tend to limit the opportunities open to everyone in that group. Even when there is data to back them up. Take math and sex, for example. It can be proven that men have better math skills, on average than women. This does not mean Peter is better at math than Sue, or that Sue should be discouraged from studying math if that's what she wants and has the necessary talent for it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 16th, 2015 at 11:37:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
If you want to do a study on blacks and cold weather feel free, but I have been on enough service calls to see blacks turn the thermostat higher than whites.

Funny. When I was in the cab business
we sometimes had to go to the door of
a house. In the winter, if it was a black
person who lived there, when they
opened the door a blast of heat would rush
out at you. Inside they would have a
big space heater or two going, the
kerosene kind, as well as having
the thermostat cranked up. It was 85
or 90 easy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 16th, 2015 at 2:12:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: CDC
Between 2005 and 2009, the fatal unintentional drowning rate for African Americans was significantly higher than that of whites across all ages.

The disparity is widest among children 5-14 years old. The fatal drowning rate of African American children ages 5 to 14 is almost three times that of white children in the same age range. The disparity is most pronounced in swimming pools; African American children 5-19 drown in swimming pools at rates 5.5 times higher than those of whites. This disparity is greatest among those 11-12 years where African Americans drown in swimming pools at rates 10 times those of whites.

Quote: Evenbob
Of course the PC crowd blames whites. They say Blacks can't swim because whites kept them from living near lakes or pools as kids. This is crap, I didn't learn how to swim till I was 16 and it took about 10min.

The BBC is probably a little less biased when reporting on American racial issues. The BBC acknowledges that many older generation African Americans did not learn to swim because of segregation issues, but today's generation does not face this issue. However, the older generation has essentially passed on the fear to the younger generation by failing to give them lessons. Obviously it is much easier to learn when you are younger, and especially easy if you teach children who don't walk yet.

A tragic accident in Louisiana in 2010 resulted in the drowning deaths of 6 children ages 13-17 as they attempted to rescue a sibling in a river. None of the adults could swim, and only one child was saved by a passerby.

It should be noted that the BBC believes that the percentage of children who swim among White American children, and the newest generation in the UK is much too high. There were a total of 381 drownings and water-related deaths from accidents or natural causes across the UK in 2013.
March 16th, 2015 at 3:21:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
It should be noted that the BBC believes that the percentage of children who swim among White American children, and the newest generation in the UK is much too high. There were a total of 381 drownings and water-related deaths from accidents or natural causes across the UK in 2013.

Interesting that drowning rates would be higher among kids who CAN swim, but understandable that they are the ones to not fear water and perhaps get into trouble with it.

This has been discussed in the SWD thread, but in Spanish-speaking countries there is a story called La Llorona (the crying woman) about a crazy woman/ghost (I'm still trying to figure out which) who hangs around rivers/lakes and kidnaps kids. The explanation for the story I've heard is that in such places a lot of kids can't swim and the adults spread this story to make them afraid of getting too close to the water, especially when it is getting dark.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 16th, 2015 at 5:33:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob

Since 1968, the world record holders in the men's 100-meter dash have been black athletes. And since 1912, when the International Association of Athletics Federations started keeping track of the record holders in that event, only 10 non-black athletes out of 38 individuals have held the title.

"There is a whole body of evidence showing that there are distinct differences in body types among blacks and whites," said researcher Edward Jones, who researches adolescent obesity, nutrition and body composition at Howard University. "These are real patterns being described here. Whether the fastest sprinters are Jamaican, African or Canadian, most of them can be traced back generally to Western Africa."

Hmm , no mention of Asians
Olympics Athens 110 hurdles. A speed race with high level of technical difficulty due to the hurdles.
6 black runners, 1 white and 1 Asian
Guess who gets the gold :-) Winner dominates, nobody close at the finish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V09H08Q0UQA
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 16th, 2015 at 5:57:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I couldn't find the exact number of black navy seals,; it is pretty low. But if you think NAVY SEALS are physically limited in the water requirements you'd be extremely wrong.

Attitude towards not swimming may be ingrained in the black community mindset, and that's too bad.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2015 at 6:08:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
Such generalized claims tend to limit the opportunities open to everyone in that group.

Pretty sure I've heard some experienced runners comment on the fact Usain Bolt is 6' 5" and seemed surprised the "big" man turned out to be the fastest person currently alive and world record holder.

Michael Johnson's running form was criticized --(Previous world record holder) yet he broke the world record with that form.

Stereotypes can steer people away from something they are actually good at, and even influence them to perform badly. (eye stereotypes racial discrimination)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2015 at 6:59:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Stereotypes can steer people away from something they are actually good at, and even influence them to perform badly. (eye stereotypes racial discrimination)

But at the same time, stereotypes start in some form of reality. That is why they are stereotypes. One must be careful before going against the odds.
The President is a fink.
March 16th, 2015 at 7:14:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
But at the same time, stereotypes start in some form of reality. That is why they are stereotypes. One must be careful before going against the odds.

Are you old enough to remember when it was said women couldn't develop defined abs?

I think most people believed it. I never saw it for a long time on any women athletes Olympics or otherwise.. You did have some early women body builders engaging in steroid use with them, but I'm not talking about them, and they had some of the characteristics of steroid usage besides that.

Now many personal trainer women appear with "packs". And it's common feature on women's fitness mags.

Nothing change genetically.
Page 2 of 3<123>