Is it racist to say that blacks can't swim? (split-off)

Page 1 of 3123>
March 14th, 2015 at 5:53:22 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
The first two voted off this time were
the most interesting to me. The tall
guy said to the group as he was walking
out, "good play". He was right, they got
rid of the strongest player on their team
and the week before they got rid of the
second strongest.

They need to vote off Will, the big black guy. It's not racist to say "black people can't swim", or "black people can't ski". It's a cliché because it's true, and it's proven every single season on Survivor. They're always set on an island or tropical paradise (except second season Africa), so most challenges are water-based (swimming, water battle of some sort). Will absolutely lost that challenge a couple weeks ago when he refused to put his head under water while moving that buoy around the frame of that puzzle. They were ahead and Will single-handedly lost it for the whole tribe! Any tribe with black people on it is at a disadvantage in the water challenges. I see it every single season. Makes me wonder why they even try out for the show to begin with; makes good TV, I guess.
March 14th, 2015 at 7:52:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
He also got totally tired in the challenge
this week, he almost had to stop. He's
big but in terrible condition. As far as
Blacks and swimming, one theory is
whites are much closer to natural
buoyancy than Blacks. We float easier,
which means it takes a lot less effort
to swim. African blacks have denser
muscle fiber and bigger bones which
makes them great runners and terrible
swimmers.

Of course the PC crowd blames whites.
They say Blacks can't swim because
whites kept them from living near
lakes or pools as kids. This is crap, I
didn't learn how to swim till I was
16 and it took about 10min. Whites
are blamed for everything.

Why Blacks don't play hockey is simple.
They aren't fans of it, and they don't
have access to it as kids. It's on TV
during basketball season, which they
love.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2015 at 8:20:35 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxy920Nd7yY
One of the great swims of all time including Cullen Jones who is black.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2015 at 8:52:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxy920Nd7yY
One of the great swims of all time including Cullen Jones who is black.

There are lots and lots of black swimmers.
As a rule, blacks don't do well in the water.
As a rule they can jump higher than whites,
and run faster. They have a higher center
of gravity and longer legs, which makes
them better athletes in some sports.

Scientists Theorize Why Black Athletes Run Fastest
by Karen Rowan, Health Editor | July 13, 2010

Twenty-eight of the last 38 world record holders in the men's 100-meter dash have been black athletes, and researchers at two universities think they know why.

A new study by researchers at Howard University, a historically black school in Washington D.C., and Duke University in North Carolina suggests why black athletes may outperform athletes of other races in running events. Physical differences in the length of the limbs and the structure of the body mean the center of gravity tends to be higher in the bodies of black people, the researchers say.

Since 1968, the world record holders in the men's 100-meter dash have been black athletes. And since 1912, when the International Association of Athletics Federations started keeping track of the record holders in that event, only 10 non-black athletes out of 38 individuals have held the title.

"There is a whole body of evidence showing that there are distinct differences in body types among blacks and whites," said researcher Edward Jones, who researches adolescent obesity, nutrition and body composition at Howard University. "These are real patterns being described here. Whether the fastest sprinters are Jamaican, African or Canadian, most of them can be traced back generally to Western Africa."

http://www.livescience.com/10716-scientists-theorize-black-athletes-run-fastest.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 15th, 2015 at 7:29:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Why Blacks don't play hockey is simple.
They aren't fans of it, and they don't
have access to it as kids. It's on TV
during basketball season, which they
love.

I'll let PK Subban know.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 16th, 2015 at 3:45:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I'll let PK Subban know.

Let him know what, that he is one of the few blacks in the game? My guess is that he can find that by simply looking around.

Stating that there in one exception prove nothing except that the person making it cannot logically refute the original premise. The premise is that blacks are not good at hockey. This is not a mathematical statement where if you prove it wrong once then the statement is false. Rather it is a "generally speaking" statement.

No unbiased, logical person should be able to disagree with this premise. There are almost no blacks in hockey at the professional level. There are few black kids playing in the junior leagues. Some reasons this could be

1. Hockey is a very expensive spot for your kids to be in. As blacks have a lower income level than most other groups it is easy to see that most will simply not be able to afford to let their kids play.

2. Hockey is a winter game. Blacks are skewed to living in warmer climates where the game is simply not very popular.

3. Hockey season coincides with basketball season. Since at least the 1960s basketball has been popular among blacks and they probably simply do not have the time to be into two sports.

4. I know people will moan about this one, but black people have a lower tolerance for cold conditions. If you do not like the cold you are not going to play hockey.

Now, in our modern society so many people will say, "I know a rich black family so #1 cannot be true!" "Detroit has lots of blacks and is cold!" "What about PK Subban?" "You are a racist for saying blacks don't like the cold!" And they will say it to just prove they are not "racist."

They will behave similar when you point out a difference between women and men. The problem is that it clouds smart thinking. When you look for every exception than the preponderance, you set yourself up for failure. You become the person with a knack for picking losers. Sure, many people and things can overcome and might deserve a chance. But to not face reality looking you in the face is a bad thing. And as a nation we are not facing reality.
The President is a fink.
March 16th, 2015 at 6:21:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Take a look at this. Hopefully no one would proclaim blacks are not good at this game just because they are not playing. You google the name of the game so google brings up random images and see no blacks all the way down the page. It is balls and hoops.

an example

You can give a reason why you see no blacks here, but proclaiming them incapable is ridiculous.

And that's just to prove a point that unless you test something you don't know if it's failure of athletic skill do to something because of race.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2015 at 6:41:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Take a look at this. Hopefully no one would proclaim blacks are not good at this game just because they are not playing. You google the name of the game so google brings up random images and see no blacks all the way down the page. It is balls and hoops.

an example

You can give a reason why you see no blacks here, but proclaiming them incapable is ridiculous.

And that's just to prove a point that unless you test something you don't know if it's failure of athletic skill do to something because of race.

Can you teach blacks to play a sport? Sure. As long as they have some level of athletic ability they can be coached. But you are proving my point by being someone so concerned about being "racist" that you are missing the premise. Blacks do not participate and excel at hockey. Seems not at croquet as you point out. Instead of saying they can be taught to play perhaps you might want to debate reasons they do not?
The President is a fink.
March 16th, 2015 at 8:01:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Can you teach blacks to play a sport? Sure. As long as they have some level of athletic ability they can be coached. But you are proving my point by being someone so concerned about being "racist" that you are missing the premise. Blacks do not participate and excel at hockey. Seems not at croquet as you point out. Instead of saying they can be taught to play perhaps you might want to debate reasons they do not?

Well, what I'm trying to get at, is statements are made that so and so can't do this or that task.

When you give a reason that assumes they are inferior to the task has it been proven?

I believe football started out a fairly white game also. Then when more blacks play football, well, there are no black quarterbacks. Then it's,, well there are no Hall of fame quarterbacks.

And so on. Each statement is stated, then begins to be refuted. But it's an error to assume a reason without eliminating the possibility it has some other reason than ability due to race.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2015 at 8:08:56 AM permalink
rxwine
When someone proposes something, it is best to test it before saying it is some overall characteristic due to race.

Are more white people at swimming pools each year because they care about tanning? Therefore they are more likely to swim?

If it can be tested, it should be.
Page 1 of 3123>