Computer Help Desk ...

July 10th, 2016 at 10:25:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Need HELP for the much ballyhooed upcoming Amazon Prime Sale Day featuring specials on electronics. Last year I understand they had special discounts every five minutes.

I need a portable computer:

The usual email, websurfing and movie/youtube watching, peferably w/o getting Narrow Bandwidth warning screens.

PLUS:

I will be doing some digital signal processing type stuff involving displays of cardiology data, fast fourier transforms, cepstrums, ecg strips, analysis and annotation of ecg strips, blood pressure data uploads, Perl scripts (which I think means I have to install unix or linux as well as whatever OS comes with the machine.

Query: How close can I come for $500.00 on sale day which I figure would be about 800.00 on a normal day's prices for a portable with math and graphics intensive processing?

I'll watch for the sale prices on whatever models you guys suggest.
July 11th, 2016 at 9:18:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
Can I install Windows 10 on my Assus Nexus 7 2012 Tablet?

Some hasty research online says it won't run, or it would run terribly if it ran at all.

So it's back to trying to restore Kit Kat on it...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 11th, 2016 at 11:05:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
Need HELP for the much ballyhooed upcoming Amazon Prime Sale Day featuring specials on electronics.
I'll watch for the sale prices on whatever models you guys suggest.

I gave up.... much ballyhooed was right. Useless sale. Misleading initial retail prices so a 65 percent saving is misleading because the initial price is wildly over blown.

Could learn what items would come up on a sale but now much the sales price would be.

Lousy Sale.
July 14th, 2016 at 10:21:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
A search netted me several sets of instructions to downgrade the Nexus tablet back to Kit Kat. I read through 3, and they all differed in some aspect. One explicitly warned not to do something another maintained was essential.

I did the only sensible thing: I asked one of the IT guys at the office whether he could do it for me.

The bad news is he claims it will take up to a week. Knowing him, that means it should be done by Monday. That's fine. I can make do without the tablet that long. Since I got the good android phone, it has taken over much of what the tablet used to do anyway.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 18th, 2016 at 9:42:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Okay. This TWITTER stuff. Its confusing to me. (What isn't).

If I send a Tweet to SOMEBODY when does he receive it. If it fails to show up on SOMEBODY's page promptly, does that mean he did not receive it or that he has Blocked me? What if it fails to show up on his page even after a week has gone by? Does that mean he has blocked me?

If somebody Follows me on Twitter is that good or bad? I don't really want someone looking over my shoulder on Twitter, why would they want to do it to me?
July 19th, 2016 at 8:52:50 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Okay. This TWITTER stuff. Its confusing to me. (What isn't).

If I send a Tweet to SOMEBODY when does he receive it. If it fails to show up on SOMEBODY's page promptly, does that mean he did not receive it or that he has Blocked me? What if it fails to show up on his page even after a week has gone by? Does that mean he has blocked me?

If you are replying @Xxxx as the first entry, it doesn't show up on their page directly, as it's a 1-1 message. You can sometimes see it as the conversation to the item you are replying.

They received it when they read it... it's not a guaranteed mailing, and you've no way of knowing if it was read unless they reply.

Quote:
If somebody Follows me on Twitter is that good or bad? I don't really want someone looking over my shoulder on Twitter, why would they want to do it to me?

Your posting into a public domain. People can decide to read everything from one person if they want. You can make your account private if you want. It seems odd to do so... its biggest use is as a public forum.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 19th, 2016 at 2:39:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If somebody Follows me on Twitter is that good or bad?

Same as real life. If it's the FBI, bill collector, IRS, or crazy ex-spouse it's generally bad.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2016 at 5:08:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Same as real life. If it's the FBI, bill collector, IRS, or crazy ex-spouse it's generally bad.
Real estate firm from half way across the continent; one of those "brokers" who sell pieces of a commercial lease to "investors" a/k/a Suckers. Scam laden industry, very ill-liquid.
July 19th, 2016 at 5:23:22 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
They want you to follow back so they can direct message you. Ypu'll get a lot of false follows. They may not even stick around as followers for more than a day or so.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 19th, 2016 at 6:38:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
New question--how do you change and remove an administrator from a Windows 10 laptop?

I was given my dad's laptop, formerly the most expensive deck of cards ever made. He was the only user so I set him up as an admin. I would be fixing it anyhow.

It was a Windows 8 machine I upgraded today. I managed to add myself as a user but his name is still there.

Not the worst thing as I will mainly use it to monitor and eventually trade
FOREX or some other thing like that. But he is gone so kind of time to remove his name.

How do you change the admin? I never had to do it before as I just use my
computers like I use my cars, run them until they fall apart.
The President is a fink.