Computer Help Desk ...

Page 2 of 26<12345>Last »
March 13th, 2015 at 4:02:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Is there a way to banish the jump lists from the taskbar icons on Win7/null/null/10? Better yet, to restore the close, minimize, maximize and restore commands?

After a year on win7, I've used the jump lists on the right-click context menu for the taskbar icons exactly <drumroll> not even once (not on purpose).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 13th, 2015 at 5:48:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
I vaguely remembering the installer guy saying I could just buy one and return TW's to get around it, but I didn't know if it'd be as simple as purchase, plug, and play.

There is a web page where they tell you which modems are pre approved
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/buy-your-modem.html

Do not purchase a modem unless it is DOCSIS 3.0 . DOCSIS 3.0 was released August 2006, so it would be a severe mistake to try and save money on a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. If your speed is 25 Mbps or lower, a DOCSIS 2,0 modem will probably work, but you may find you are obsolete about the time you payback period is over.

DOCSIS 3.1 was released October 2013, so it is a plus if not an absolute must.

How about your router? Who owns that? Usually the router and the wireless access point are combined in one device.
March 14th, 2015 at 11:43:58 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin

Do not purchase a modem unless it is DOCSIS 3.0 . DOCSIS 3.0 was released August 2006, so it would be a severe mistake to try and save money on a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. If your speed is 25 Mbps or lower, a DOCSIS 2,0 modem will probably work, but you may find you are obsolete about the time you payback period is over.

Lol, the best I ever get is 20 down and 2 up, and I mean the best. I have certainly seen 12 / 0.5. Regardless, it is good to know and I thank you for the tips.

Quote: Pacomartin
How about your router? Who owns that? Usually the router and the wireless access point are combined in one device.

The router and all that I bought myself from Walmart. I thought I remembered a previously owned modem having 4 or so "holes" so I could connect the PC and Xbox and DirectTV without extra hardware. This $10 p/month hunk of garbage only had one hole, so I had to spring for the router. And I swear they #$%^ with it on purpose, changing stuff to make it incompatible randomly throughout the year =p I haven't had issues lately, but remember having to make several calls in the past, back when I was only paying $40 or so.

Thanks to you and Aye for the assist. Funny how certain things set you off. This $10 rental bill is just killing me at the moment.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 20th, 2016 at 7:14:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I have Windows Xp...
.......You tube is incredibly slow and subject to flights of fancy;
....... Watching Prime Video in Amazon sure ain't "prime" to view.

I keep getting messages to upgrade to Window10 but is this a good thing to do and is it FREE?
April 20th, 2016 at 7:31:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
I have Windows Xp...

I keep getting messages to upgrade to Window10 but is this a good thing to do and is it FREE?

I upgraded to 10 on my personal laptop, it was free for me
I really don't like Microsoft edge to surf, it doesn't handle internet ads well
I like to use Google chrome to surf instead, much more stable

Work computer which is maintained by work, using Windows 7 Enterprise
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 20th, 2016 at 7:34:12 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I have Windows Xp...

I have been running Windows 10 since it first came out in the fall. The learning curve was very manageable and I have had only one issue. It didn't happen for the first few months but 3 times lately I can't access the start menu. Looking it up on the forums it seems to be a fairly common problem.

My solution has been to go back to a restore point. This takes about an hour but I don't loose any data or documents. Make sure you enable restore so that the system is creating restore points if you have the same issue. Since it is a known problem I expect MS will have a fix at some point.

It was supposed to be free for the first year at least.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 20th, 2016 at 7:55:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Are there any suggestions as to why when I right click on a picture, the URL doesn't show anymore?

I searched and the explanations didn't help.

I have windows 8.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 20th, 2016 at 8:00:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
I have windows 8.

My condolences.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 20th, 2016 at 8:06:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
My condolences.
I was caught in a compromising position.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 21st, 2016 at 3:24:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

After the disaster that was Windows 8 I have ignored the upgrade. I will be getting a new laptop late this year then I figure I have to get 10, but it will be a clean install and not an upgrade. I have kept my parents from the upgrade also.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 26<12345>Last »