Additive, Subtractive, 5-axis Toys?

Page 1 of 3123>
March 7th, 2015 at 12:46:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Okay folks, you all know I just can't hack mathematics, so maybe its the terms "additive" and "subtractive" that are giving me a mental block of some sort but what is this stuff about Replicators, MakerBots, The world of things.

It seems to be about making stuff locally and perhaps by the purchaser's computer rather than a far off factory.

Need a brake part...... make it. Need a wrench.... make it. There is talk of cars rather than just car parts, but all I've seen so far is a heck of alot of articles on the web and only tiny little toys actually in three D. Oh yeah, recently a micro jet was made in Australia and displayed in the UK so apparently some practical devices are actually being made.

But can anyone tell me will it really just be toy yachts coming out of those Replicators or will it ever be real yachts and real airplanes? Will I finally see what a widgit looks like?

What is this 3-D printing that has Forbes and a few others all agog?
March 7th, 2015 at 2:49:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Well they have made a full size car.

Quote:
In a matter of two days, history was made at Chicago’s McCormick Place, as the world’s first 3D printed electric car—named Strati, Italian for “layers”– took its first test drive.

“Less than 50 parts are in this car,” said Jay Rogers from Local Motors.

Roger’s company is part of the team that developed the engineering process to manufacture an entire car with carbon fiber plastic and print it with a large 3D printer set up at McCormick Place by Cincinnati Incorporated.

I wouldn't call it a pretty car, but it's a car.

http://wgntv.com/2014/09/13/made-in-chicago-worlds-first-3d-printed-electric-car/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2015 at 5:17:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Well they have made a full size car.
More like a golf cart and they did not print glass, motor, battery.
March 7th, 2015 at 6:38:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff

What is this 3-D printing that has Forbes and a few others all agog?

It's sort of like a CNC, only completely opposite.

Like, with a CNC, you start with a block and take it down from there, layer by layer. With 3D printing, you start with nothing and build it up layer by layer.

Let's make this simple and say you want to make a sphere. The machine puts down the first layer, which would be exceedingly small. Basically just a dot. Another layer goes on top, this time just a bit bigger. Lasers are used to bond the two layers together, making them one. Then another layer, again, just a bit bigger. Again with the laser. They keep stacking and keep getting bigger until the middle of the sphere, at which time they get then get smaller and smaller until you're back at a dot again. Just imagine it as Legos...

Each "level" is a layer. You know how an MRI gives you images in "slices"? Same thing. Stack all the slices together and you get a solid body.

That's basically how 3D printing works.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 7th, 2015 at 7:46:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You too can make decorative objects

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2015 at 8:23:45 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have begun to wonder the future effect this will have on manufacturing.

Need a part for the dishwasher? Get the plans and print one.

The plans for such things will have to be expensive, because you won't be manufacturing and selling parts. You'll just be designing and selling plans.

There will be all sorts of plan piracy. Will there be annoying DRM, where you are only able to make so many parts from specific devices for a certain amount of time?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 7th, 2015 at 8:39:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
More like a golf cart and they did not print glass, motor, battery.

It's an oddity, not a car. You'll never
be able to drive it on the road, no
safety features means uninsurable.
I can build a car out of beer cans
that drives too, means nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 7th, 2015 at 10:31:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
means nothing.
Perhaps that is a bit excessive, but I do understand a few things: I have no need of an orange sphere and I have no time for or interest in ornate skull like "art work".

In theory its like building up a great big sculpture of a mountain lion by depositing tiny dabs of butter layer by layer versus starting with the great big block of butter and cutting out everything that does not look like a mountain lion. Its the precision and variety (and utility) that are important though.
March 7th, 2015 at 10:58:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's a car in name only, you can't drive it
where you drive a real car so who would
want it. It will never be a road car.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 8th, 2015 at 12:04:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
It will never be a road car.
Golf carts, shopping carts can still be sold for a tidy sum if a computer makes them.
Page 1 of 3123>